You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Juventus begin to hire backroom staff for Liverpool boss Benitez

bonesman

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tth-8wA3PdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tth-8wA3PdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I feel so deflated about everything about the club right now that I can't even get worried about the prospect of Tracksuit O'Neill taking over. He is pretty fucking far from an exciting choice but a motivated bunch of players in a 4-4-2 would be such a massive step forward from the utter shite we've been served this year.

Oh and I don't buy the notion that you have to be some kind of tactical genius to take a top English side far in the CL so I'm not even sure that argument holds water. The record of the last five, six years suggest otherwise and this Liverpool side playing to the maximum of it's strength could turn over either side in the Lyon-Bayern semifinal.

O'Neill would be the perfect appointment for the owners.

Due to his contract he would cost little outlay to get him, he would not be bothered about the fact we are not going to be in the Champions League and knows the Premiership very well.

Doubt he would be making noises about wanting £60m to spend on players either.

Guest PurpleNose
O'Neill would be the perfect appointment for the owners.

Due to his contract he would cost little outlay to get him, he would not be bothered about the fact we are not going to be in the Champions League and knows the Premiership very well.

Doubt he would be making noises about wanting £60m to spend on players either.

What makes you think this?

I think he'd immediately want to waste lots of money on average English players.

What makes you think this?

I think he'd immediately want to waste lots of money on average English players.

Because i just think he would be chuffed to bits to be in the job in the first place to risk rocking the boat.

When Rafa does leave Liverpool it will be to another big European club whereas could the same be said of O'Neill.

Guest PurpleNose
Because i just think he would be chuffed to bits to be in the job in the first place to risk rocking the boat.

When Rafa does leave Liverpool it will be to another big European club whereas could the same be said of O'Neill.

I think O'Neill would worry, with good reason, that some of the squad wouldn't have a great deal of respect for him.

With you on the second point.

I think O'Neill would worry, with good reason, that some of the squad wouldn't have a great deal of respect for him.

With you on the second point.

Who? Gerrard? Torres? I think you're wrong. In fact I hope he's got enough nous not to have a great deal of respect for some of our players.

that's not to say I want O'Neill to be our manager, I was just challenging your view.

Juventus Ready To Close Deal For Liverpool Coach Rafael Benitez - Report - Goal.com

Juventus president Jean-Claude Blanc will fly out to Liverpool next week to close a deal for Rafael Benitez, who has informed the Italians that there are no problems relating to his future arrival in Turin, according to Sky Sport 24.

They report Juve's strategy as being a clear and concise one. First, Blanc will wrap up the transfer for Benitez after agreeing a deal, then he will head to Genoa and seal an agreement with Sampdoria sporting director Giuseppe Marotta. Blucerchiati president Riccardo Garrone has already given the Italian the all-clear to join Juve.

Marotta will then approve budgets and transfers strategies for Benitez to use in the summer.

The Spanish coach will earn €4 million per annum wages, with an extra €1m to spend on his backroom staff as he intends to select his own team of assistants.

Juventus are now trying to negotiate with Liverpool to help the Spaniard climb out of his 2014 contract. Reports have suggested it will take €16m to release Benitez from Anfield, but the Old Lady is hopeful of doing it for half that amount.

Blanc will now head to Anfield and speak directly with Liverpool so all parties can reach an agreement that satisfies needs and ensures there are no further obstacles.

Guest PurpleNose
Who? Gerrard? Torres? I think you're wrong. In fact I hope he's got enough nous not to have a great deal of respect for some of our players.

that's not to say I want O'Neill to be our manager, I was just challenging your view.

I was probably think of Reina, Torres and Mascherano. I think if they saw Benitez replaced by a man who's most important trophy win was the League Cup, they'd be a little disheartened. All three professional enough to continue playing at 100%, but don't think they'd have much belief in O'Neill. Maybe some of the other foreign squad members as well. You're dead right that some of them don't deserve a lot of respect themselves.

Widespread reports in Italy claim Juve have made Benitez their top target to take over from interim boss Alberto Zaccheroni this summer.

It has been suggested Juventus are prepared to offer Benitez a lucrative contract and hefty transfer war chest to lure him to Turin.

Reports circulating have also claimed Juventus are now working on recruiting Benitez's backroom team if he does decide to leave Anfield.

Benitez insists he is not thinking about his future and is waiting to see who will buy Liverpoolafter American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett put the club up for sale last week.

The Spaniard admits Liverpool's search for new owners could decide his future on Merseyside.

Benitez told Premium Calcio: "The future? I just think about the next week, only of the sale of the club.

"I'm interested in who buys Liverpool.

"Resignation? I will have to wait for next week. I will talk to who will buy the club. We must wait."

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Rafa coy on future talk

These rumours are gathering pace now. Doubt they'll stop now.

You know what they say though, there's no smoke without fire. And by the looks of it, there's far too much smoke for me not to believe these rumours..

I was told at the start of Feb when the rumours first came to attention, particularly that he was on the verge of signing, that it was all bollocks, that was from one of the Liverpool players (although it was to my mate and not me.)

I was probably think of Reina, Torres and Mascherano. I think if they saw Benitez replaced by a man who's most important trophy win was the League Cup, they'd be a little disheartened. All three professional enough to continue playing at 100%, but don't think they'd have much belief in O'Neill. Maybe some of the other foreign squad members as well. You're dead right that some of them don't deserve a lot of respect themselves.

Maybe Mascherano, he seems the type, but not the other two. We're speculating here.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Widespread reports in Italy claim Juve have made Benitez their top target to take over from interim boss Alberto Zaccheroni this summer.

It has been suggested Juventus are prepared to offer Benitez a lucrative contract and hefty transfer war chest to lure him to Turin.

Reports circulating have also claimed Juventus are now working on recruiting Benitez's backroom team if he does decide to leave Anfield.

Benitez insists he is not thinking about his future and is waiting to see who will buy Liverpoolafter American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett put the club up for sale last week.

The Spaniard admits Liverpool's search for new owners could decide his future on Merseyside.

Benitez told Premium Calcio: "The future? I just think about the next week, only of the sale of the club.

"I'm interested in who buys Liverpool.

"Resignation? I will have to wait for next week. I will talk to who will buy the club. We must wait."

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Rafa coy on future talk

Listen, I love Rafa. The guy has given us some good history and some good times. He's given us some brilliant players and some memorable quotes. I still think he is one of the top managers in Europe and I think he will go on to win at whichever club he decides on joining - and it'll be a major club - in the future.

I just think that nobody should be too worried about this Juve talk. If he goes, then we start with fresh linen after this Spud sized shit of a season had soiled our bed. I think he could still be great at this football club, with the right investment and the ability to get his first choice signings, but if he goes, we give that money to somebody else. Just as long as there is somebody talented out there.

Maybe Mascherano, he seems the type, but not the other two. We're speculating here.

If O'Neill is an old school coach of the 'up and at 'em lads' persuasion, I could easily see a bunch of the continental types asking themselves, how is this guy going to improve me? and you'd end with the situation Chelsea had with Scolari.

Guest PurpleNose

You think Reina and Torres hold the same amount of respect for O'Neill as they do for Benitez?

You think Reina and Torres hold the same amount of respect for O'Neill as they do for Benitez?

They would not have met O'Neill in any meaningful way, in all likelihood. Obviously his achievements to date do not compare, so if you mean respect based on that, then I suspect not. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't respect him, his methods and his views once they were familiar with them.