You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Juventus begin to hire backroom staff for Liverpool boss Benitez

bonesman

If Rafa is off to Juve as reports suggest, good luck to him.

Martin O'Neill would represent a sensible financial choice for the current owners, given his rolling contract status. We may well get compo for Rafa and have to pay buttons for MON, so financially G&H could be ahead in this transaction.

Looking at it from a footballing perspective, if we were playing anything like we were in the second half of last year, I would be aghast at the prospect of MON at the helm. But we've all seen how we've been playing for a long time. It is terrible.

I would be happy enough if the side could snap out of its lethargy under a new man, even if it was MON. I would be even happier if he could bring Young with him for our left wing (Milner would help too).

I'm not quite sure if MON has it in him to take us to the top, but we will see what he can do if he comes. He shouldn't be criticized for trophies won either, since if you are not in the big four, winning anything of note is pretty much impossible.

As ever, our need for new owners is the biggest thing we have going on. If the whole charade we've had recently is a ploy for them to hang on, and they end up switching managers at no cost, like most others I will be fuming.

I wouldn't particularly want O'Neill but there'd be no point writing him off before he came. I suspect we'd be doing well to attract someone as good as O'Neill bearing in mind the complete mess we'll be in until the ownership is sorted out.

I wouldn't particularly want O'Neill but there'd be no point writing him off before he came. I suspect we'd be doing well to attract someone as good as O'Neill bearing in mind the complete mess we'll be in until the ownership is sorted out.

Whoever becomes the Liverpool manager should get the full support of the fans whether its O'Neill, Mourinho or any other manager that has been linked.

I have said all along its not about the highest profile manager but the correct man for the job under the circumstances he will be working in.

A fine example for me is if we taken over by Arabs who were willing to pump a large chunk of money in you would be looking at attracting someone like Mourinho but if the current owners remained in charge then there is no way a someone like Mourinho would join.

Appointing a manager like O'Neill under these circumstances who is known to get the best out of his players under a low budget would possibly not be a the worst idea in the world.

Whoever becomes the Liverpool manager should get the full support of the fans whether its O'Neill, Mourinho or any other manager that has been linked.

I have said all along its not about the highest profile manager but the correct man for the job under the circumstances he will be working in.

A fine example for me is if we taken over by Arabs who were willing to pump a large chunk of money in you would be looking at attracting someone like Mourinho but if the current owners remained in charge then there is no way a someone like Mourinho would join.

Appointing a manager like O'Neill under these circumstances who is known to get the best out of his players under a low budget would possibly not be a the worst idea in the world.

Spot on.

I rate Martin O'Neill as a Manager and wanted him to get the Liverpool job in 2004 when Gerard Houllier left the club.

I think he is an excellent man-manager who gets the best out of the resources available to him, and he has had decent success wherever he has been.

He also tends to give young, homegrown talent a chance.

He probably wouldn't be my first choice to replace Rafa Benitez now, but I would certainly have him on a short-list of potential managers alongside Louis Van Gaal, Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink, Josep Guardiola, Frank Rijkaard and Roy Hodgson.

I imagine the fact that he is on a yearly rolling contract, and wouldn't cost too much to prize away would be a big attraction for Hicks and Gillett.

I have absolutely no problem writing the snidey fucking goblin off right now. Or tomorrow. I did it yesterday, as well. His teams are a horror to watch, even in comparison to how we play today. Anti-football, route one, utter crap. The most overrated idiot of a manager today in the English football.

I have absolutely no problem writing the snidey fucking goblin off right now. Or tomorrow. I did it yesterday, as well. His teams are a horror to watch, even in comparison to how we play today. Anti-football, route one, utter crap. The most overrated idiot of a manager today in the English football.

I thought the Villa side that beat us 3-1 at Anfield earlier in the season played some good football and looked a real threat with Milner and Young on the flanks. Villa were also very positive away at Old Trafford and won 1-0.

I thought the Villa side that beat us 3-1 at Anfield earlier in the season played some good football and looked a real threat with Milner and Young on the flanks. Villa were also very positive away at Old Trafford and won 1-0.

They were turd at Anfield it's just we were worse. A penalty, an own goal and a crappy goal from a corner.

Even Stoke win football matches. Why not get Pulis, he gives homegrown talent chances, as well. Same crap "football"...

Guest simon

O'neil would be miles better than our current at least he trys to win games plays decent football buys some beauties. Gets the best out of anyone. Isn't afraid to speak his mind. Gives youngsters a chance and buys English. What more can you ask for also he has improved every team he has managed immensely.

I'm not O'Neill's biggest fan but it's hard to argue with any of that. Good post.

Oh and I don't buy the notion that you have to be some kind of tactical genius to take a top English side far in the CL so I'm not even sure that argument holds water. The record of the last five, six years suggest otherwise and this Liverpool side playing to the maximum of it's strength could turn over either side in the Lyon-Bayern semifinal.

Thats a completely circular argument. One of the biggest reasons BEHIND the English club's CL performances, over the last 6 years, has been Rafael Benitez.

1999 - last time an English club made it to the CL final

2004/5 - Rafael Benitez joins Liverpool

2005 - Liverpool Champions

2007 - Liverpool Runners Up

Spot on Coop.

I rate Martin O'Neill as a Manager and wanted him to get the Liverpool job in 2004 when Gerard Houllier left the club.

I think he is an excellent man-manager who gets the best out of the resources available to him, and he has had decent success wherever he has been.

He also tends to give young, homegrown talent a chance.

He probably wouldn't be my first choice to replace Rafa Benitez now, but I would certainly have him on a short-list of potential managers alongside Louis Van Gaal, Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink, Josep Guardiola, Frank Rijkaard and Roy Hodgson.

I imagine the fact that he is on a yearly rolling contract, and wouldn't cost too much to prize away would be a big attraction for Hicks and Gillett.

I feel the same.

Thats a completely circular argument. One of the biggest reasons BEHIND the English club's CL performances, over the last 6 years, has been Rafael Benitez.

1999 - last time an English club made it to the CL final

2004/5 - Rafael Benitez joins Liverpool

2005 - Liverpool Champions

2007 - Liverpool Runners Up

Thats pretty desperate even by your standards isr.

Top post.

We need better than Benitez, O'Neill is worse than him.

No thanks Woody Allen.

Spot on.

The people most desperate to see Benitez leave, seem keen to take any old shite as a replacement.

O'Neill, McLeish etc. If we're going to get someone new in, make them better.

Spot on.

The people most desperate to see Benitez leave, seem keen to take any old shite as a replacement.

O'Neill, McLeish etc. QUOTE]

Not sure if I can agree with the last part of this.

Edit: agree with the edited version though.