You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

We don't need to appoint a manager who is a top name but one whose ethos is to attack the opposition.

How many people had heard of Arsene Wenger when Arsenal appointed him from i think it was Grampus Eight.

Before the appointement of Wenger Arsenal were known as a boring, negative team who were strong in defence and would grind out 1-0 wins.

They took the gamble of appointing a manager who would come and do an overhaul of how they would play football which resulted in early success.

Arsenal may have gone as long as us without a trophy but the extra money rasied from the new stadium will mean they will continue to fight for all the major honours.

If we are going to appoint someone with no winning pedigree at least appoint someone who wants to play decent football.

I think Martinez is a very progressive manager & plays decent football with the hand he has been given at Wigan ( N'Zogbia, Rodallega etc.) & certainly outplayed us this season at the JJB.

His Swansea side were one of the most entertaining sides ever at lower league level.

I would imagine he would bring exciting football to Anfield.

Arsenal may have gone as long as us without a trophy but the extra money rasied from the new stadium will mean they will continue to fight for all the major honours.

In a few years, they will be laughing Coop. Their model is the best among the top 4 right now and once they get their stadium debt level down, they will have plenty of cash to play with.

If only the two cunts Moores and Parry took the plunge and started the new stadium years ago.....

As for the new manager, ideally I want Capello but that doesn't look likely. Mourinho is not available. Hiddink probably the same. Lippi is a great manager who will be available after the WC. I won't mind Pelligrini either.

But, I just find it extremely nervous to appoint someone in the long term with the current turmoil. I feel Kenny is the best short term option right now, bring some stability on the pitch and once we get stability off the pitch, go after the best long term manager who is available at that time (could be Capello, who knows?).

Give me reason, that this fella wouldn't be a good idea

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHcZqIfhcA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHcZqIfhcA&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

I'd take Kenny in a heartbeat, not only because I think he'd do a good job but also because it would mean there is light at the end of the tunnel and a sale of the club is genuinely in the pipeline.

I do worry though about the nature of our support, perhaps general football support, and their ability to turn and criticise so quickly and quite dramatically. It would be unbelievably unpleasant should that happen to Dalglish.

edit: pretty much anyone else, by the way, would be terrible as I believe this would suggest a change of ownership is nowhere near

Who do people THINK will be our next manager not who you want? I still think it will be Dalglish.

If it is going to be Kenny I think it would have already been agreed and announced, or announced by the end of the week at the latest.

I'm not hopeful, he seems to already be out of the running.

Im not a big of either Hodgson or O'Neill and would much rather Dalglish take over then them two.

Personally i wanted to appoint Blanc but he has agreed to takeover the French national team so that fucked that up.

Dream scenario is Kenny taking over, we have a good start to the season, we get taken over before the turn of the year, a couple of shrewd january signings and we ride the crest of a no yanks wave to the title. Imagine if Kenny was the man to win us the league again, heads would explode with joy.

That makes me sound like a Newcastle fan I know.

I think Martinez is a very progressive manager & plays decent football with the hand he has been given at Wigan ( N'Zogbia, Rodallega etc.) & certainly outplayed us this season at the JJB.

His Swansea side were one of the most entertaining sides ever at lower league level.

I would imagine he would bring exciting football to Anfield.

He has a proven record of playing good football. I would rather him than anyone else in the league.

Dream scenario is Kenny taking over, we have a good start to the season, we get taken over before the turn of the year, a couple of shrewd january signings and we ride the crest of a no yanks wave to the title. Imagine if Kenny was the man to win us the league again, heads would explode with joy.

If that happens, population in merseyside would have doubled this time next year.

I don't think Martinez has done anywhere near enough to get the Liverpool job. His sides try to play entertaining football but they also tend to get fucking walloped on quite a few occasions as well. He may be an option for the future but the situation at hand calls for an older manager that has experiences of clubs in crisis.

Guest The Chimp

Leaving aside the politics just because I'm over it. . . .

I love Kenny and think he has unfinished business here. He'd command instant respect, would take no shite from the media and knows what we're about better than anyone we could get in.

I'd not be disappointed to hear we'd appointed Pellegrini. Of the others, no-one currently managing in the Premiership please(or Hughes - wtf!?); maybe Rijkaard.

Fuck the media, that means they are dictating who we appoint.

I would like him, as it would be a huge fuck you to the Winer's, Holt's and Samuel's, who for some strange reason seem intent upon foisting an English manager on us!

I'm astounded that people are suggesting Martinez, who has no top-class expereince, only about 2 years managerial experience and has taken Wigan backwards, ahead of a proven performer with European experience and a good track record like O'Neill.

I'd take O'Neill ahead of all of those mentioned tbh, including Dalglish and Pelligrini, though I'd take either of them I suppose. Not Hodgson though - an aging journeyman manager who has had 2 decent seasons at a team with no expectations and has failed in England before, unlike O'Neill.

I'm astounded that people are suggesting Martinez, who has no top-class expereince, only about 2 years managerial experience and has taken Wigan backwards, ahead of a proven performer with European experience and a good track record like O'Neill.

I'd take O'Neill ahead of all of those mentioned tbh, including Dalglish and Pelligrini, though I'd take either of them I suppose. Not Hodgson though - an aging journeyman manager who has had 2 decent seasons at a team with no expectations and has failed in England before, unlike O'Neill.

Martinez has his sides playing good football but has won fuck all of note.

O'Niell has his sides playing shite and has won fuck all of note.

Spot the difference.

Martin O'Neil would be crap in my opinion. He organises his teams well and plays the counter-attacking system very well.

However, he's not very good in the transfer market. Villa have spent more than another other team apart from City, since he arrived. He also only ever buys players from from British clubs.

Before that, in five seasons at Celtic he only brought in three players from abroad.

That suggests his scouting network is shite.

He buys mostly British players who are already established and pays over the odds for them.

He's supposed to be some kind of guru to young players, he's never really given league debuts to home-grown players in the last 5 years.

It is also very telling that Agbonlahor and Young, who last season were tipped as the future of English football and neither of made the World Cup and seem to have gone backwards.

Martinez has his sides playing good football but has won fuck all of note.

O'Niell has his sides playing shite and has won fuck all of note.

Spot the difference.

O'Neill has managed a big club in Celtic, took them to a UEFA Cup Final and has some Euro experience. He took Leicester into Europe and to near the top of the league when an unfashionable team and has taken Villa from PL also-rans to challenging for a top 4 place in the past 2 seasons. He has 20 years managerial experience.

Martinez won the 3rd tier with Swansea, and nearly got Wigan relegated. That's all... He has three years managerial expereince.

There is a massive difference between the two. To suggest otherwise is lunacy.

I know which I prefer...