You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Agger

Antynwa

If you take out the freak season 07-08 and his first season here because he was only here for half a season then his appearance record is very similar to Van Persie's before the last two seasons...

If you express a player's record as a percentage of games played against league appearances available, the stats are 48% v 73% in RVP's favour. There is no comparison.

I think he's trying to consider the balance between the two.

Agger is, clearly, an immensely talented defender, and he moves the ball remarkably well.

However, he's got a massive injury record.

Over 25m for him? We're likely better off if we replace him well...

Under? Fuck off. He's going nowhere.

Couldn't agree more.

Has anybody actually said that they're telling Rodgers which players to sell? If he's being forced to choose who he has to sell because the transfer pot isn't big enough, that's bad enough. It's not the mark of owners who are serious about getting us back into the top four.

Surely that's a given. The fact is that they are more serious about breaking even.

I never thought of it like that. Actually if you take away all the games hes missed, he has played in damn near all the rest.

I'm talking about taking a freak injury which ruled him out for the season out of the equation.

These types of injuries are just bad luck, otherwise people like Cisse, Lucas etc would be considered injury prone because they missed the best part of a season with an injury.

What quotes? I haven't used any quotes in the message you replied to.

Again, what are you burbling about? I've used a fact that is correct - You are trying to apply YOUR own interpretation to that fact and then ask me to justify that interpretation. Thats just stupid.

There you go again - you've missed the point. What does ANY of that have to do with the point I made - the point being that we did replace them and Agger WILL be easier to replace as I said!

If there aren't any quotes what the fuck are you on about? Is it just a hunch? Has he been in contact with you via morse code? Smoke signals perhaps?

Your facts weren't relevant to real life. They were misleading. They were just a bit shit really.

How can you possibly not see the relevance of how good your manager and overall squad is when considering whether a player can be adequately replaced?

What in the fuck is wrong with you?

If there aren't any quotes what the fuck are you on about? Is it just a hunch? Has he been in contact with you via morse code? Smoke signals perhaps?

Your facts weren't relevant to real life. They were misleading. They were just a bit shit really.

How can you possibly not see the relevance of how good your manager and overall squad is when considering whether a player can be adequately replaced?

Norse code - heh.

Go away you crank - you accuse me of making quotes up and then when you're pulled on it you ask me what I'm on about?????? YOU CRANK!!!

to follow that up you then accuse me of using "facts" that aren't relevant? They're 100% accurate to the point I'm making.

Don't reply - you're clearly mentally unstable.

If you express a player's record as a percentage of games played against league appearances available, the stats are 48% v 73% in RVP's favour. There is no comparison.

Cup games are unreliable as getting an appearance all depends on quality of opposition you are drawn against, games on the weekend and how far your team is going in the cup.

The league is where your best team is guaranteed to be played for all games in the season (barring one or two exceptions).

And as I said, Van Persie is slightly older than Agger so he has obviously now understood and developed a way to avoid injuries completely, hence his appearance record last season in the league. I expect Agger to do the same and will get 30+ league games plus under his belt next season.

And as I said, Van Persie is slightly older than Agger so he has obviously now understood and developed a way to avoid injuries completely, hence his appearance record last season in the league. I expect Agger to do the same and will get 30+ league games plus under his belt next season.

We agree that league appearances are the best measure.

I don't share your optimism about Agger's injury record impoving, but if it stays as it is, he is probably worth holding on to for the remainder of his contract.

His ability is beyond question- his future injury prospects are the gamble.

I don't believe FSG are in it to break even. Who goes into business in order to break even?

If we agree that their objective is to make money, the question is about the strategy they adopt. There's more than one way to do that. They're not asset strippers, or at least if they are, they're pretty shit at it. So, can they under invest in a depreciating asset and hope to make money in the medium or long term? I don't believe they can.

We agree that league appearances are the best measure.

I don't share your optimism about Agger's injury record impoving, but if it stays as it is, he is probably worth holding on to for the remainder of his contract.

His ability is beyond question- his future injury prospects are the gamble.

So are the chances of replacing him with somebody as good or better,while still making money on the deal,within the next two weeks.

I agree with most of this but the bottom line is that we cannot rely on getting more than 50% availability from Agger - he has never managed more than 45% since he's been here and he's 28 now. There's no reason to expect his fitness to get any better.

This thread is getting very close to a declaration that Agger (and his wants and needs) is actually "bigger than the club".

You know that 50% of the PL games in a season is 19 games dont you?

So Agger has never reached this amount before, in fact he has only managed 45% according to you.

Go to bed.

I don't believe FSG are in it to break even. Who goes into business in order to break even?

If we agree that their objective is to make money, the question is about the strategy they adopt. There's more than one way to do that. They're not asset strippers, or at least if they are, they're pretty shit at it. So, can they under invest in a depreciating asset and hope to make money in the medium or long term? I don't believe they can.

I'd prefer to keep Agger and I'm indifferent as to whether Carroll stays but if we got £40m for the both of them (£25m Agger/£15m for Carroll) it will be interesting to see if that is all reinvested in the squad.

He has been injury prone consistently, that has not evolved, it has been a constant.

Can we talk about the types of injuries or do we continue to ignore the idea of context like Kenny's Spell wants us to?

Agger played 27 games in the league last season, what type of injury kept him out?

Agger played 16 games in the league the year before despite being out of favour for half of it.

Translated this means: "if my bonuses and staggered signing on fees are paid , and there is more money over a longer period - I'm off."

Loads of smoke and mirrors here on all sides.

Not really, Agger said almost the exact same thing last season when Torres left for Chelsea.

he said he could never have done it, he could not even imagine playing for one of our rivals in the PL.

I do love that, at a club where Gerrard chose to stay when Chelsea were managed by Mourinho and splashing the big bucks, that supporters can say that players are only motivated by money and honours.

I also love that we can talk about selling a player who has YNWA tattooed on his knuckles (because he's only played 43% of games for us and it's good business sense), and moan about Torres leaving because he wants to challenge for titles.

It does show you that - in certain quarters - loyalty in football has been eroded from both ends.

Anybody who saw how Agger treated Torres after he left the first time we played Chelsea should have an idea what the boy is about and should know that if our supportership stretches beyond the pragmatic or economical to any length whatsoever that he is an invaluable player.

We ought to guard the hope that his affection for the club is genuine and do our utmost to protect it. If everything he professed about the club was a falsity then there's really no hope for any of us and we might as well all jack it in anyway. Except for the people who prefer politics to football.

The context is already set - the context is that the player has only contributed to less than 50% of the games the club has played during his time here.

The Context is that Rodgers is judging the player based on the method and style of football he wants the team to play with and how much effort and commitment is required by each player to employ that method.

Do you know what an operation is?

Do you know what might happen after operations?

Guest San Don
I do love that, at a club where Gerrard chose to stay when Chelsea were managed by Mourinho and splashing the big bucks, that supporters can say that players are only motivated by money and honours.

I also love that we can talk about selling a player who has YNWA tattooed on his knuckles (because he's only played 43% of games for us and it's good business sense), and moan about Torres leaving because he wants to challenge for titles.

It does show you that - in certain quarters - loyalty in football has been eroded from both ends.

Anybody who saw how Agger treated Torres after he left the first time we played Chelsea should have an idea what the boy is about and should know that if our supportership stretches beyond the pragmatic or economical to any length whatsoever that he is an invaluable player.

We ought to guard the hope that his affection for the club is genuine and do our utmost to protect it. If everything he professed about the club was a falsity then there's really no hope for any of us and we might as well all jack it in anyway. Except for the people who prefer politics to football.

Here, here.

I agree with this. We slag players off for having the temerity to leave but are then happy to discard others on our own terms.

The question you have to ask then is what business are FSG in? The football business? Or, the sports management and media business? Two entirely different ways of making money. The latter offering many opportunities for making lots of money while breaking even in subsidiaries, like us.

What do you think their strategy is?

I doff my cap