You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Agger

Antynwa

I posted this in the amnesty thread, but honestly I reckon it's worth a discussion on it's own.

I reckon Agger is incredibly overrated, he's not a very good defender, prone to mistakes and isn't actually all that great going forward. I much prefer Skrtel to him and it's a shame Martin will be out for a while.

I have never been convinced of Agger, and the only game where I have been in awe of him was the 2007 Chelsea Semi at Home when he had Drogba in his pocket.

Since then he's been inconsistent and if anything his concentration is aweful, people criticise Carra for making mistakes, but Agger seems to get a free ride despite making more than his fair share.

If it was up to me, I'd sell him and try and get someone built like a brick shithouse who can play the ball forward as well, and who is CONSISTENTLY good.

Probably not the most popular of opinions, but is anyone seeing what I am seeing or do people genuinely see a world class player in Agger.

I agree with that. I don't agree with this reputation he has as a ''ball playing defender'' as well. On the odd time you see him carry it out from the back and one assist v Wigan at home last season was particularly outstanding (after a monumental fuck up by him which resulted in us going behind of course) and a couple of goals from long range. He is a decent player but one who I wouldn't shed any tears for if he was sold. He is yet another player with a piss-poor injury record and on a huge contract.

I am not Skrtels biggest fan either although he has played really well recently.

In 18 months he'll be the same age Carra was when Rafa joined, as will Skrtel for that matter.

Both have weakness in their game. Very few players don't mind. I don't get the problems people have with either of them 2. Both have proven when they get a sustained run in the side they are very good centre halves.

For those that would like either moved on, who exactly would you be looking at?

I like Daniel Agger and think if he could stay fit, he could develop into a top class ball playing centre back.

I still think we need to try and find a young dominant centre half who can be the long-term successor to Hyypia. David Wheater or Ryan Shawcross would be my choice.

I think he is a very good player. I think he plays it intelligently and gets attacks going with sensible passes as opposed to trying to hit the man 65 yards away. I actually think he is very underrated. Now and again he does break, and he does it well. I don't know, maybe people feel a ball playing defender needs to be a player who has to get to the by-line to be called as such. Just by Agger going past one player and getting into the opposition half, allows the midfieders to support the attackers very well. He can get a bit sidetracked with his defending, but we've seen enough very good defensive displays to know that he is capable of it and just needs to learn control and positional play when getting back, and no better man then Carra to teach him how to defend.

I think he is a very important part of our future.

He has got one problem as far as I'm concerned, and that is injuries. It is proving to be a mighty big problem unfortunately and I agree we should try to get someone like Shawcross in next summer.

Should a large bid for Agger for some reason come in we would be daft not to at least consider it with his appalling injury record in mind.

I posted this in the amnesty thread, but honestly I reckon it's worth a discussion on it's own.

I reckon Agger is incredibly overrated, he's not a very good defender, prone to mistakes and isn't actually all that great going forward. I much prefer Skrtel to him and it's a shame Martin will be out for a while.

I have never been convinced of Agger, and the only game where I have been in awe of him was the 2007 Chelsea Semi at Home when he had Drogba in his pocket.

Since then he's been inconsistent and if anything his concentration is aweful, people criticise Carra for making mistakes, but Agger seems to get a free ride despite making more than his fair share.

If it was up to me, I'd sell him and try and get someone built like a brick shithouse who can play the ball forward as well, and who is CONSISTENTLY good.

Probably not the most popular of opinions, but is anyone seeing what I am seeing or do people genuinely see a world class player in Agger.

You don't think Rafa would like that? Defenders who are built like a brick shithouse, who are consistently good and technically good defenders don't grow on trees for peanuts.

I think he is a very good player. I think he plays it intelligently and gets attacks going with sensible passes as opposed to trying to hit the man 65 yards away. I actually think he is very underrated. Now and again he does break, and he does it well. I don't know, maybe people feel a ball playing defender needs to be a player who has to get to the by-line to be called as such. Just by Agger going past one player and getting into the opposition half, allows the midfieders to support the attackers very well. He can get a bit sidetracked with his defending, but we've seen enough very good defensive displays to know that he is capable of it and just needs to learn control and positional play when getting back, and no better man then Carra to teach him how to defend.

I think he is a very important part of our future.

Absolutely spot on.

Short Memories

Obviously you have all forgotten the early part of the season wth Sktrel and Carra finding it impossible to play together and the fact Agger rescued Carras season by creating the balance we were lacking before he got back in our team. He makes the players around him look good players. Just look at our defending as a team when he doesnt play

He was awful on Sunday but as I said a lot of you have short memories.

I agree with OP and not only because I like Skrtel.

Daniel is technically gifted and can bring the ball out of defence but that is the only attribute he is top class.He is cheered for his long range shots but he scored I think 3 goals from long distance in 100 apearances for the club. He tried maybe 40 shots...

Defensively he is crap. Bad positioning, often nowhere near the ball or space where he should be. He is usually beaten easily, he is heading with closed eyes. Skrtel has made at least one big mistake in almost every game he started in first 3 months of the season, but Danny makes 3-4 smaller mistakes every game. And someone said that he was crap on Sunday. In my point of view he is playing shite since the Pompey game and that is around 3 months already. I also can not get it why he is always starting when fit.Was shit against B´burn, against City, in Romania and also against Arsenal. His last 4 starts.

When Agger puts in the same performance as Skrtel, then Martin is called solid but Danny brilliant by most of the fans. And when Martin´s performance is called not very good, then Danny would be still called solid for the same kind of game.

And the thing with Agger saving carra´sseason is bullshit. We really started to get results when Kyrgiakos with Skrtel started play. Until Christmas we were not winning a lot.

I really like Agger but since his injuries it has taken him longer to get back into his stride than I thought.

He has 1 weakness and does it nearly every game and thats duck when a ball comes in the box as he thinks its going out but there is an opp player behind him.

Other than that he is our best defender when it comes to using the ball and not whacking it 60 yards back to the other teams defenders.

I personally prefer Skrtel to Agger, but as a pair I think they can dominate together for years to come.

I think Carragher is a problem though, as he seems to be untouchable, which I don't think he should be.

I think experience is everything when it comes to a centre back. Agger and Skrtel have both had patchy injury records and have never had the luxury of being shepherded by an older pro the way Carra did under big Sami. If they got a run and played in some intense games, it'd do wonders for them both. The raw ability is there though IMO, without question. The problem is none of our CBs fit the 'kingpin' mold, but they're like rocking horse shit to find, the fact we found Sami was a minor miracle in itself.

I like the way Agger plays, less hoofs, lots of simple passes, and at times attempts of longer passes without resorting to mindless long balls. Defensively he is not the most solid, but at the moment we have no one in our back four who is.

Difference to Skrtel is clear, Skrtel offers little going forward and is shaky defensively, was a disaster with Carragher, and funnily enough for a tall guy is a poor header of the ball. When Alonso left, it was clear that we needed different kind of CBs. We cannot simply have two hoofers, Agger is desperately needed there.

I would get rid of Skrtel, and try to get in Hangeland. A more dominant player in the air, better passer, and someone who would be able to play with both Agger and Carragher. In the longer term Carragher's successor has to be Kelly.

Guest ian garro

I'd agree with the original post. I think he's a poor defender really, shocking in the air and not all that great with the ball at his feet.

He was badly at fault for the goal in Romania last week, and he had a bit of a 'mare against Blackburn on Sunday.

He seems to want to be able to do all the fancy stuff - like bringing the ball out of defence, without actually 'getting his hands dirty', by doing the defending. Every time he is injured, his stock amongst our support seems to rise, bizarrely.