You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Agger

Antynwa

I'd have absolutely no qualms about selling him for £20m, as I would have done a week ago if he wanted to go, and I believed he wanted to go (I didn't believe he wanted to stay at first). But if a player who plays the right way doesn't want to leave then the club should not sell him, Rogers doesn't want him to go either, so this is purely the management. And befor anyone argues, Caroll is not ideal to fit in to the way we play so he would be nothing more than a squad player and therefore selling him is the best thing all around.

I do think Agger is injury prone, even in his best season he still missed a good chunk of the season. Accepting a player wants to go and getting the best price, or seeing a player as surplus to requirements is one thing but pushing out a player who is seen as an important player who doesn't want to go himself is wrong.

For this reason alone I don't think he will leave.

I'm glad we agree now that he doesn't want to leave.

Fantastic.

I'd have absolutely no qualms about selling him for £20m, as I would have done a week ago if he wanted to go, and I believed he wanted to go (I didn't believe he wanted to stay at first). But if a player who plays the right way doesn't want to leave then the club should not sell him, Rogers doesn't want him to go either, so this is purely the management.

I really don't think it is management, Whelan. It's Rodgers (if it is anything/anyone) being pragmatic. Rodgers set out his stall early and it seemed his stall was that he wasn't going to be dictated to by management.

I think he's looked at the squad, seen the value of his players, decided who is expendable and come up with Agger. Now he's trying to get as much for him as possible. IF Agger actually is being touted to City, that's what I think it happeing.

This is apparently a transcript from tomorrows Times.

The Times - #Agger determined to stay, #Skrtel offered new deal.

Daniel Agger says he wants to remain at Anfield, despite strong interest from Manchester City. The Liverpool centre half insists that he cannot contemplate playing for another English club.

Liverpool have rejected two offers from City for the Denmark defender, whom they value at £27 million.

Prior to City showing interest in him, Agger had always maintained that he would not want to join a rival English club and his position remains unchanged despite City's status as the Premier League champions.

The 27-year-old accepts, however, that he could be forced to the move in the event of Liverpool accepting an increased offer. "I'd rather stay," Agger said. "I can't imagine playing for any other club in England but you never know if the club think it's better to sell.

"I am fine with my situation. The club will have to find out what they want to do. I've heard nothing from them. I'd rather stay but that decision is not up to me at the moment.

"Liverpool can do a deal even though I have two years on my contract. But I haven't changed my mind on the subject. Sometimes you can end up in a position where it's not your decision.

"I don't want to be somewhere I am not wanted but I would prefer if they want me to stay. That is my priority."

While Agger's future remains uncertain, that of Martin Skrtel, his central defensive partner, looks set to be resolved with the Slovakia international on the verge of agreeing a new long- term contract with the club.

Liverpool are also hoping to sign Cristian Tello, who can play as a winger or a forward, on a season-long loan deal from Barcelona.

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, has already recruited Joe Allen, the midfielder, and Fabio Borini, the striker, but wants to strengthen his attacking options farther before the transfer window closes on August 31. The Northern Irishman has identified the Barcelona player, who can operate as a forward or as a winger, as his preferred option.

Tello has been informed by Tito Vilanova, the Barcelona head coach, that he does not feature in his plans for the first team this season and that he would be better served by playing regularly for the club's B-team.

Rodgers is hoping to take advantage of the situation by offering the Spain Under-23 player the opportunity to move to the Premier League on a season-long loan.

Rodgers is also looking to take Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid on a similar basis and the midfield player is currently considering his options in the knowledge that Arsene Wenger is also keen to sign him.

Fears that Martin Skrtel could leave Liverpool this summer have diminished significantly after the centre back was offered a new four year contract on improved terms that he is likely to accept.

Tony Barrett

http://tl.gd/iqt0t9 · Reply

Report post (?)

I agree with most of this but the bottom line is that we cannot rely on getting more than 50% availability from Agger - he has never managed more than 45% since he's been here and he's 28 now. There's no reason to expect his fitness to get any better.

This thread is getting very close to a declaration that Agger (and his wants and needs) is actually "bigger than the club".

I really don't think it is management, Whelan. It's Rodgers (if it is anything/anyone) being pragmatic. Rodgers set out his stall early and it seemed his stall was that he wasn't going to be dictated to by management.

I think he's looked at the squad, seen the value of his players, decided who is expendable and come up with Agger. Now he's trying to get as much for him as possible. IF Agger actually is being touted to City, that's what I think it happeing.

If you said to me would you sell Agger for £25m ? I would bite your hands off! For the reasons that you have both listed. But, I am uncomfortable with the club forcing a player out who is not surplus to requirements.

I think if we had managed to sell Caroll then I don't think we would even be contemplating selling Agger. The one thing that is worrying me is that I don't trust him to remain fit, 30 games isn't a good season, you can be the best player in the world but you won't be any good if you aren't on the pitch, a lot of people do seem to be ignoring that, sad as it is City could manage him better than we can.

Well I wouldn't go that far!

But yes you were right, and I do owe you a big apology.

No worries.

Lets hope he's not pushed out the door. As will be obvious if he leaves now.

I think Agger has been quite clever, and in a few years time, we might have a lot to thank him for.

In terms of halting the exodus of quality players.

He might have staunched the wound, and given us time to rebuild properly.

Next captain even.

Just don't get fucking injured now Daniel!!

MostarLFC‏@MostarLFC Agger "I can't imagine playing for other clubs in England. But one can never know about the club see it as the best to sell me" #LFC

Translated this means: "if my bonuses and staggered signing on fees are paid , and there is more money over a longer period - I'm off."

Loads of smoke and mirrors here on all sides.

From Danish media via the MF:

Originally Posted by DT

Agger wants to stay:

"I haven't been asked how I feel about everything by the club. It's not up to me to discuss whether that is strange or not. That's how the club has decided it's going to be. I can't do anything about it"

"We have this period (transfer window) every year but I'm taking things easy and with a smile. I've not heard anything from the club so far so there's no reason for me to be worried."

"I know there has been interest from Manchester City, but I don't know how Liverpool are responding to it"

"I am fine with my situation. The club will have to find out what they want to do. I've heard nothing from them. I'd rather stay but that decision is not up to me at the moment"

"Yes, Liverpool can do a deal even though I have two years on my contract. But no, I haven't changed my mind on the subject. Some times you can end up in a position where it's not your decision"

"I don't want to be somewhere I am not wanted but I would prefer if they want me to stay. That is my first priority"

And here a little soundbite on the YNWA tattoo:

"It has nothing to do with that [a potential transfer to Man City]. I like what the words mean. Of course it has something to do with the club. The club and the people mean a lot to me, but what the words means in themselves is that you have stop to think once in a while that no matter how dark things look, we are never alone. That's something I want my kids to know as well."

Someone should precis all this and pass it to Brendan Rodgers and ensure he has these facts - I'm sure he has no idea of what he needs in his team or what sort of player Agger is.

It should be pointed out, in the strongest terms that he's 'commiting suicide'.

Did I mention Rodgers anywhere? No, and in fact I'd imagine Rodgers wants to keep him.

You're not missing the point again, are you?

Translated this means: "if my bonuses and staggered signing on fees are paid , and there is more money over a longer period - I'm off."

Loads of smoke and mirrors here on all sides.

The Gerrard interview after the Gomel match told us enough of what the situation is. Agger dosent want to go and its in the owners court if they decide to sell him.

The Gerrard interview after the Gomel match told us enough of what the situation is. Agger dosent want to go and its in the owners court if they decide to sell him.

Do you think the owners are doing the buying and selling?

And Rodgers' initial bravado in his first press conference was just that; bravado, and the reality is that he's being dictated to by Tom Werner?

Did I mention Rodgers anywhere? No, and in fact I'd imagine Rodgers wants to keep him.

You're not missing the point again, are you?

No I'm not but it appears you are - or creating your own reality. If you think this is being done without the input of Rodgers and his assessment of his playing staff then you're very naive.

What are you basing your summation that "Rodgers wants to keep him" on?

Can't we just have one summer where we keep hold of all our best players?

Really we shouldn't overstate the case here - Agger has been available for 45% of the games we've played during his time here - how on earth we can judge him as one of our best players from the bench is a little bizarre.

Do you think the owners are doing the buying and selling?

And Rodgers' initial bravado in his first press conference was just that; bravado, and the reality is that he's being dictated to by Tom Werner?

The way Gerrard told it sounded to me that the only way Agger was going is if the owners decide to let him go. We know Agger is saying he wants to stay and Brendan is saying he wants to keep him but if a offer comes they cant refuse then. The thing to me is this reporting of we want 27 million for him,which says we will sell him.

The way Gerrard told it sounded to me that the only way Agger was going is if the owners decide to let him go. We know Agger is saying he wants to stay and Brendan is saying he wants to keep him but if a offer comes they cant refuse then. The thing to me is this reporting of we want 27 million for him,which says we will sell him.

I personally have massive doubts that an Agger sale is being forced upon Rodgers and that the owners are selling (or touting) players without his say-so.

Really we shouldn't overstate the case here - Agger has been available for 45% of the games we've played during his time here - how on earth we can judge him as one of our best players from the bench is a little bizarre.

He's the best defender at the club by a mile, that's, incidentally, why the champions, who happen to have limitless wealth and the pick of Europe, are after him.

No I'm not but it appears you are - or creating your own reality. If you think this is being done without the input of Rodgers and his assessment of his playing staff then you're very naive.

What are you basing your summation that "Rodgers wants to keep him" on?

The fact that Rodgers has said he wants to keep him?

Let's be realistic.

He is injury prone with two years left on a contract. If he is offered a four year deal at more money to play CL football, and with a realistic chance of a title medal, he isn't going to say no, is he?

Don't believe anyone on this.

Fresh approach from the "FSG-are always right" brigate.

Now that it is crystal clear that Agger wants to stay and after exsausting all the possible ways to interpret his words and make it seem he'd like to go, we turn attention towards the manager.

As I predicted, you guys along with the FSG representatives, will be the first to point the finger to Rodgers, if everything goes wrong during the upcoming season. I just worder will the owners ever be responsible about anything? Torres- traitor, Meirelis - moaner, Kenny - lost the plot, Carroll - Flop, Commolli - transfer clown etc.... It's always somebody elses fault.

The grim freaking reality of where we're at right now. Selling to buy and other clubs unsettling our players.

But, no one is unsettling Agger. He doesn't sound unsettled, he wants to stay and he's pretty cool about it. Unless Barcelona shows a real interest and he changes the tune, then you can't say he is unsettled.