You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Aquilani Close to First Team Debut!

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that time he would have only played 5 times

Hope not as that would probably mean he got injured again!

I sincerely hope he is a massive player - we need some sort of positivity in a season like this. But, as I said, I don't think we will be able to see a full flowing Aquilani until end of the season or even next season.

Hope I'm wrong and he has a Torres like impact.

Whilst I know what your saying Ant, we can't just knock back quality players because they have had injuries, United would never have signed the horse mate.

Look at Warnock he gets his run of games and seem's fine.

Only time will tell, but I think we need to give Rafa the benefit of doubt on this one.

I'd agree Al, if we didn't spend £20 Million on him. I mean Aurelio for all of his injury problems IMO makes up for it with a few quality performances.

I guess time will tell if he was worth the money paid. I just find it a bit bizarre, when people say we should give Rafa more money when the two most recent players we paid £20 Million for. One no longer plays for us, and the other we are too scared to play.

As said by others, time will tell.

I hope he plays a fucking blinder tomorrow night, I then want to see what happens with him on Sunday. I've been one of Rafa's strongest supporters, and still beleive in him, but I am getting to the point where things like not playing Aqualini or bringing him on for 30 seconds are really begining to fuck me right off.

He needs to start tomorrow and if he's tired then take him off at 60 minutes and then he needs to start again on Sunday and let's see what the lad is made of.

Hope not as that would probably mean he got injured again!

I sincerely hope he is a massive player - we need some sort of positivity in a season like this. But, as I said, I don't think we will be able to see a full flowing Aquilani until end of the season or even next season.

Hope I'm wrong and he has a Torres like impact.

Fully agree

I'll take your word for that, so we are dropping Gerrard back into centre Mid?

Who drops out mate?

He may have the answer done for him by the owners.

You sell Masherano in Jan, we need the money to sort the Uefa Licence out?

My take on it is that he wants (or wanted) to play Mascherano in his current position, Aquilani slightly in front of him and Gerrard in behind Torres.

Benitez said this when we signed Aquilani:

Benitez has a clear role in mind for Aquilani, but is confident his new No.4 could comfortably fill in anywhere in central midfield.

"We have Mascherano and Lucas Leiva both playing really well, with Gerrard in front. He can play instead of any of them," he said.

"He can play as second striker if necessary, but his best position will be between Gerrard and Mascherano - or between Lucas and Gerrard."

Rafa praises Aquilani versatility - Liverpool FC

That was my understanding too Jack. Given our complete inability to defend lately, you can maybe see why he might not think going more attacking is the way forward.

He might have been more tempted to move Gerrard back (and put AA as second striker to ease him in, in a less "exposed" position) if he wasn't half-fit and Torres wasn't out.

Can see both sides really.

I'd agree Al, if we didn't spend £20 Million on him. I mean Aurelio for all of his injury problems IMO makes up for it with a few quality performances.

I guess time will tell if he was worth the money paid. I just find it a bit bizarre, when people say we should give Rafa more money when the two most recent players we paid £20 Million for. One no longer plays for us, and the other we are too scared to play.

As said by others, time will tell.

You are not the only one finding it bizarre.

Put it this way, if Mourinho had bought an injured played for Inter for £20m, the same people who are supporting Rafa here will be laughing their tits off. "Look, you wanted Mourinho to replace Rafa, look at his transfer record, he even spunked £20m on an injured player this summer and he hasn't even played yet", they would have said.

You pay what a player is worth. If the player is injured, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out he will be cheaper. If Ronaldo get a knee ligament damage next week and if Real get ready to sell him in January, they wouldn't even receive HALF the money they paid for him 5 months ago.

When Xabi left and when it became clear the owners were behaving like cunts (again), the last thing we needed to do was to spend £20m on someone who wasn't going to play for 3/4 months. But, we did. It was one mother fucking gamble and it has back fired hugely this season. It has back fired to such an extent that our title challenge was over by October after finishing 2nd just a few months ago.

He may become the next Zidane and win us 3 titles in the next 4 years but signing him for this season has been a major failure. I don't care how people dress it up to support Rafa, he has to take sole blame for this for this season.

That was my understanding too Jack. Given our complete inability to defend lately, you can maybe see why he might not think going more attacking is the way forward.

He might have been more tempted to move Gerrard back (and put AA as second striker to ease him in, in a less "exposed" position) if he wasn't half-fit and Torres wasn't out.

Can see both sides really.

Actually for most of the seven games since the League Cup game at Emirates, I've been able to understand Rafa not putting him on. Away against Debrecen was a bit hard to take in, but in some way understandable.

But that we didn't try winning the game against Blackburn, who were there for the taking, by putting Alberto on for either Lucas or Masch, I really, really don't get.

Am I the only one who sees little point in rushing back a player with a questionable fitness record during a season where the chance of winning the league title has been gone long time? I'd rather we eased him back in, especially given the injury problems we've had in the past rushing players back - Owen & Kewell - and continue to have with Torres and Gerrard to an extent. If the observations of those who have a firm interest in Italian football are correct, and a physically stable Aquilani is worth close to double what we paid for him, then it makes perfect sense to ease him back. When we bought him, people were outraged that we'd signed a player with a very questionable injury record and now people are outraged that the club are doing all they can to ensure that he doesn't break down again and, although a generalisation, a lot of those who were outraged at buying an injury prone player are the ones who are outraged that we are being careful with him, to ensure his injury problems don't continue.

But, isn't qualifying for CL also very important though Dirk. I can understand people questioning him not playing Aquilani, and while I am sure he has his reasons, as he always does, I question the logic of having him on the bench at all.

Al's point about using him at Blackburn to get something from the game is valid. El Zhar made an impact and shook them up a bit, but I think bringing him on instead of Lucas, or moving Gerrard out to the right would have had a greater impact.

Al's point about using him at Blackburn to get something from the game is valid. El Zhar made an impact and shook them up a bit, but I think bringing him on instead of Lucas, or moving Gerrard out to the right would have had a greater impact.

And even if it didn't, why not take a chance on it? He's supposedly over his ankle and seeking match fitness, so this excuse that people are trotting out on Rafa's behalf that his ankle is made of glass or he might get a bruise is complete bollocks.

Rafa has said himself why he hasn't played him: he thinks he needs time to settle and might not have an impact, and he is afraid to take a risk unless we are losing a game or winning comfortably. Why look beyond what he's said?

Perhaps those who are blaming it all on poor Aquilani being a bit fragile are psychologically unable to find themselves in a position where they may disagree with Rafa. Perhaps that might open a whole can of worms for them.

The fact is, Rafa is happier with a draw than taking a risk to get a win. We all know it, so why dance around it?

Again I don't buy this sorry. We have a £20m player of huge talent and were not bringing him on because were not playing well.

As I have said before I'd like to think Aqualini can't wait to test himself against other teams in the prem.

But If Rafa feels that to be the case fine, Any thoughts on what I said regarding the system and no place for him being in the side as a more obvious reason he is not playing?

I thought about that but actually kept contradicting myself in whether I agreed with you or not. I can certainly see your point, but I think it has been driven by our inability to defend this season.

The signing of Johnson was, for me, a sign that Rafa had learnt from last season that the draws had cost us and that by playing a bit more expansive, we may lose one or two more, but we may turn more draws into wins, thus negating the point dropped from a draw turning into a loss.

For me, the signing of Aqualani meant one of two things. Certainly Lucas was going to remain a squad player like he was last season. And the midfield would be Mascherano and Aqualani with Gerrard off Torres. It's not a 442 so there still is protection in midfield. Or, Gerrard would drop back into midfield with Aqualani just off Torres. Either way, they could both rotate amongst themselves.

However, our piss poor defending, the constant changes in personnel at the back due to injury coupled with the loss of form of Mascherano, Kuyt and the injuries to Torres and Gerrard along with the loss of Alonso, has resulted in us shipping goals for fun and Rafa keeping two defensive mids to try and stem the flow.

My hope is that now Carragher and Mascherano seem to have found their form again, and with Agger coming back quite well and a run of 3 clean sheets, that maybe Rafa will continue with his plan to be a bit more expansive, and we’ll see Aqualani in the middle beside Mascherano, with the usual Gerrard Torres partnership up top.

And even if it didn't, why not take a chance on it? He's supposedly over his ankle and seeking match fitness, so this excuse that people are trotting out on Rafa's behalf that his ankle is made of glass or he might get a bruise is complete bollocks.

Rafa has said himself why he hasn't played him: he thinks he needs time to settle and might not have an impact, and he is afraid to take a risk unless we are losing a game or winning comfortably. Why look beyond what he's said?

Perhaps those who are blaming it all on poor Aquilani being a bit fragile are psychologically unable to find themselves in a position where they may disagree with Rafa. Perhaps that might open a whole can of worms for them.

The fact is, Rafa is happier with a draw than taking a risk to get a win. We all know it, so why dance around it?

The King used to often drop/rest Beardsley against the more physical,route 1 sides of that era as he felt that the ball might bypass him in the air.

Does that mean he was happier with a draw than taking a risk to get a win?

On a thread where there are quite legitimate questions being raised about a massive gamble that Rafa took, he is somehow slagged off at the same time for being too risk-averse.

Perhaps those who are blaming it all on poor Aquilani being a bit fragile are psychologically unable to find themselves in a position where they may disagree with Rafa. Perhaps that might open a whole can of worms.

I agree wit most of that but still we dont know the real reason why Rafa did not play Aquilani. Perhaps he thinks he needs more training , or more time to adapt to the tactis.

Bottom line is, Rafa thought El-Zhar would have bigger impact on the game than Aquilani. You will never convince me that his sub was not one of attacking intent to win the game, cautious or not.

I thought about that but actually kept contradicting myself in whether I agreed with you or not. I can certainly see your point, but I think it has been driven by our inability to defend this season.

The signing of Johnson was, for me, a sign that Rafa had learnt from last season that the draws had cost us and that by playing a bit more expansive, we may lose one or two more, but we may turn more draws into wins, thus negating the point dropped from a draw turning into a loss.

For me, the signing of Aqualani meant one of two things. Certainly Lucas was going to remain a squad player like he was last season. And the midfield would be Mascherano and Aqualani with Gerrard off Torres. It's not a 442 so there still is protection in midfield. Or, Gerrard would drop back into midfield with Aqualani just off Torres. Either way, they could both rotate amongst themselves.

However, our piss poor defending, the constant changes in personnel at the back due to injury coupled with the loss of form of Mascherano, Kuyt and the injuries to Torres and Gerrard along with the loss of Alonso, has resulted in us shipping goals for fun and Rafa keeping two defensive mids to try and stem the flow.

My hope is that now Carragher and Mascherano seem to have found their form again, and with Agger coming back quite well and a run of 3 clean sheets, that maybe Rafa will continue with his plan to be a bit more expansive, and we’ll see Aqualani in the middle beside Mascherano, with the usual Gerrard Torres partnership up top.

See that from Johnny is the argument of someone who supports Rafa in the decision he is actually making and is not afraid to say so. I respect that, even if I disagree with the decision still.

And even if it didn't, why not take a chance on it? He's supposedly over his ankle and seeking match fitness, so this excuse that people are trotting out on Rafa's behalf that his ankle is made of glass or he might get a bruise is complete bollocks. Rafa has said himself why he hasn't played him: he thinks he needs time to settle and might not have an impact, and he is afraid to take a risk unless we are losing a game or winning comfortably. Why look beyond what he's said? Perhaps those who are blaming it all on poor Aquilani being a bit fragile are psychologically unable to find themselves in a position where they may disagree with Rafa. Perhaps that might open a whole can of worms.

But, isn't qualifying for CL also very important though Dirk. I can understand people questioning him not playing Aquilani, and while I am sure he has his reasons, as he always does, I question the logic of having him on the bench at all.

Players are at risk of further injury following prolonged absences, probably even more so following mutiple absences. Players can pick up different injuries because of weaknesses in muscles unrelated to their injury, which arise from being laid off for substanial periods - that's what happened to Owen at the World Cup. The only game where it's possible to conceivably question Aquilani absence in the CL was the Debrecen away game. He made the sub appearance against Arsenal in the CC and we played Lyon away a week after that and I think it's reasonable that we didn't play him given that he'd had no pre-season. We won away to Debrecen after that and, because it was a tense game, I can understand him not being risked.

Players are at risk of further injury following prolonged absences, probably even more so following mutiple absences. Players can pick up different injuries because of weaknesses in muscles unrelated to their injury, which arise from being laid off for substanial periods - that's what happened to Owen at the World Cup. The only game where it's possible to conceivably question Aquilani absence in the CL was the Debrecen away game. He made the sub appearance against Arsenal in the CC and we played Lyon away a week after that and I think it's reasonable that we didn't play him given that he'd had no pre-season. We won away to Debrecen after that and, because it was a tense game, I can understand him not being risked.

So why is Rafa saying that he is fit, needs match minutes, but that he may not settle immediately and thus will get playing time when we are losing or winning comfortably? Why is he saying that himself?

This "got him on the cheap" stuff has aroused my curiosity.

Are people really expecting to eventually see a 30m player? I'm not even sure what that means; the kind of player than can 'glue' everything together, like an Alonso, or a real 'impact' star player like Torres?

Whatever it is, I can't see people's expectations being 'lowered' if that particular line becomes accepted as 'fact, no?'.

He'll be the only thing worth watching tomorrow. That really is pressure.