You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your solutions if Gerrard continues to get man marked?

old skool tom

with chelsea around the corner,what would you do if they (or other teams) do what they did to him last year and dont let stevie have half as much freedom?

theres a few options/solutions but mine would be to play yossi on the right of midfield and if stevies getting marked out of the game too much? id swap them over.that way either yossi gets left alone to create some chances "in the hole" or gerrard can have more freedom against there left sided offensive player.

id personally like gerrard in the middle for the bigger games but i doubt rafas gonna play that way against the better teams.

To be honest it doesn't bother me, he is possibly the best midfielder in the world capable of moments of brilliance whoever is marking him, plus him being followed everywhere effectivly reduces the opposition to 10 men which would hopefully be to our advantage especially if this tactic is deployed by a team coming to Anfield,

The main reason, Essien's brilliance aside, that the marking of Gerrard was successful at Anfield was because he was only half-fit. That was clear from watching him and the fact he missed the return leg.

Also don't think it would be a bad thing at all if we Essien occupied and out of position for ninety minutes, as he surely would be trying to mark Gerrard.

have Yossi on the left and tell him to come inside looking the ball, then there's 2 people in Gerrard's 'zone' on the pitch and they'll have to bring a centre back out to get at Yossi which leaves Torres 1 on 1.

If they don't put anyone on Yossi, then he's got space.

On a serious note, the opposition man-marking one of our players should really play in to our hands, providing the other players perform.

The reason it didn't word last season in the CL was because everyone around Gerrard was so woefully poor and all of Chelsea's players had blinders.

i'm all up for them man-marking him again to be honest. They won't get the same results a second time. No chance.

I think it'll be slightly different at Chelsea this year though, as they're playing with two strikers now, meaning they cant afford to dedicate a man to specifically mark Gerrard. If they do, fine, someone's gonna be free all the time in midfield.

The main reason, Essien's brilliance aside, that the marking of Gerrard was successful at Anfield was because he was only half-fit. That was clear from watching him and the fact he missed the return leg.

Also don't think it would be a bad thing at all if we Essien occupied and out of position for ninety minutes, as he surely would be trying to mark Gerrard.

It was probably a lot to do with having Lucas and Alonso in the middle too, they couldn't control the game well enough to pose a threat to Ballack, him and Lampard which might have forced Essien into helping them out. Lucas and Alonso were pedestrians that night, our game the other night was similar.

Edited by Dirk

I think the Chelsea game last year was a combination Essien doing well, Gerrard not being fit and Chelsea targetting Lucas as the weak link in the middle, this domination of the middle left Gerrard and Torres stranded.

I think that people man marking Gerrard will have the same effect that man marking Torres has, it will create space for others to hopefully take advantage of. As Paul has touched on, there are very few if any, who could do a job on Gerrard.