You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina: Here's the plan...

Paco

Liverpool's all-or-nothing approach will pay off, says José Reina

Liverpool's all-or-nothing approach will pay off, says José Reina | Football | guardian.co.uk

• Our biggest problem was draws, says Spanish goalkeeper

José Reina said it is better for a team to suffer bad form at the beginning of a season than at the end.

José Reina has dismissed Liverpool's indifferent start to the season as an inevitable price of the ambitious approach that Rafael Benítez's team have adopted in the hope of winning the Premier League title.

The Liverpool goalkeeper, in keeping with all at Anfield, has been stung by the reaction to defeats against Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa and believes talk of the team failing to build on last season's runners-up spot is premature. Reina admits, however, that Liverpool are more liable to defeat this term having resolved to eradicate the 11 draws that cost them dear last season by taking greater risks during matches. But it is a strategy that will pay dividends, according to the Spain international.

"People say we have lost as many games this season as we did in the whole of last season but last season our biggest problem was drawing games," explained Reina. "Those draws meant that we could have drawn the two games we lost, went the season unbeaten in the league, but still not won it. I would rather have lost six of those 11 games and won the other five. Then we'd have finished level on points with United and maybe have won it on goal difference.

"People can point to defeats, but I feel it's draws that make it more difficult. One thing that became clear to everyone at the club before the season started was that we must take more risks if we want to win the league. Even if it means losing a few more games, particularly at home. In the short term, that may disappoint a few people, but in the long term it's better to cut out the draws. In a league where there is three points for a win, for teams trying to win the title, it's definitely draws that make it more difficult."

Reina admits Manchester United's title success last season, coming after an inauspicious start of their own, proves it is wrong to discount Liverpool's championship credentials on the basis of two defeats in the opening four league matches.

"It's not normal for Liverpool to open the season with two defeats from three games but if a team is going to suffer from bad form, it's better for it to be at the start of the season because there is a lot more time to recover. Many clubs have proven that over the years and gone on the achieve great things at the end of the campaign. I see this season as being the most competitive since I've been in England. Any one of five or six teams have a good chance."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool's all-or-nothing approach will pay off, says José Reina

Liverpool's all-or-nothing approach will pay off, says José Reina | Football | guardian.co.uk

• Our biggest problem was draws, says Spanish goalkeeper

José Reina said it is better for a team to suffer bad form at the beginning of a season than at the end.

José Reina has dismissed Liverpool's indifferent start to the season as an inevitable price of the ambitious approach that Rafael Benítez's team have adopted in the hope of winning the Premier League title.

The Liverpool goalkeeper, in keeping with all at Anfield, has been stung by the reaction to defeats against Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa and believes talk of the team failing to build on last season's runners-up spot is premature. Reina admits, however, that Liverpool are more liable to defeat this term having resolved to eradicate the 11 draws that cost them dear last season by taking greater risks during matches. But it is a strategy that will pay dividends, according to the Spain international.

"People say we have lost as many games this season as we did in the whole of last season but last season our biggest problem was drawing games," explained Reina. "Those draws meant that we could have drawn the two games we lost, went the season unbeaten in the league, but still not won it. I would rather have lost six of those 11 games and won the other five. Then we'd have finished level on points with United and maybe have won it on goal difference.

"People can point to defeats, but I feel it's draws that make it more difficult. One thing that became clear to everyone at the club before the season started was that we must take more risks if we want to win the league. Even if it means losing a few more games, particularly at home. In the short term, that may disappoint a few people, but in the long term it's better to cut out the draws. In a league where there is three points for a win, for teams trying to win the title, it's definitely draws that make it more difficult."

Reina admits Manchester United's title success last season, coming after an inauspicious start of their own, proves it is wrong to discount Liverpool's championship credentials on the basis of two defeats in the opening four league matches.

"It's not normal for Liverpool to open the season with two defeats from three games but if a team is going to suffer from bad form, it's better for it to be at the start of the season because there is a lot more time to recover. Many clubs have proven that over the years and gone on the achieve great things at the end of the campaign. I see this season as being the most competitive since I've been in England. Any one of five or six teams have a good chance."

it's funny when many of us on here were pointing this out for the last 2 years were were called for everything and were told we didn't know what we were talking about. now it'll be spun that the manager is a tactical genius for realising what everyone else could see years ago.

Edited by Barry Wom

I actually agree that 5 or 6 defeats would be better than 2 and 12 draws, but personally I don't think we lost against Spurs or Villa because we were going all out to win more than we did last season.

I actually agree that 5 or 6 defeats would be better than 2 and 12 draws, but personally I don't think we lost against Spurs or Villa because we were going all out to win more than we did last season.

Agree absolutely - Pepe's great, but that's total bollocks... We lost because we were shit and if we continue to be shit we will continue to lose...

Hmmm. While he's right its better to have bad form at the beginning rather the end of the season, early season poor form could put us out of it altogether.

I was concerned after the season ended whether we would pick up where we left off. Clearly we havent as form has been poor. Fingers crossed we have turned the corner this season and the next 3 games will give an indication.

it's funny when many of us on here were pointing this out for the last 2 years were were called for everything and were told we didn't know what we were talking about. now it'll be spun that the manager is a tactical genius for realising what everyone else could see years ago.

Is right

Or even longer!!

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/20658-away-form-season.html#post195045

It shows what happens when you get a different player in your Midfield. Aquilani will be the goden jigsaw peice, albeit a fragile one. Xabi gets a nose bleed approaching the six yard box so it wasn't that easy adapting while he was here.

But feel free to carry on saying it should have happened before. You need the right tools for the right job.

It's not Rafa talking, it's Reina.

I think we lost against Villa cos we were far too attacking in midfield. Lucas and Mascherano were both getting too high up the pitch and when Villa broke, one ball took out our midfield cos we were too high up the pitch.

Our confidence was shattered by a freak own-goal and poor marking on a corner. Villa produced nothing else of note.

Our confidence was shattered by a freak own-goal and poor marking on a corner. Villa produced nothing else of note.

They got plenty of free kicks and got in positions to win free kicks cos our midfield was trying to attack too much.

If one bombs forward the other should stay back, they were both just running forward.

It shows what happens when you get a different player in your Midfield. Aquilani will be the goden jigsaw peice, albeit a fragile one. Xabi gets a nose bleed approaching the six yard box so it wasn't that easy adapting while he was here.

But feel free to carry on saying it should have happened before. You need the right tools for the right job.

Rafa only bought Alonso so he could show how much better we'd be when he sold him again...

It's not Rafa talking, it's Reina.

But it's not just a personal opinion:

"One thing that became clear to everyone at the club before the season started was that we must take more risks if we want to win the league".

This is similar to Gerrard's "the shackles are off" comment from last season. It has taken four seasons for the penny to drop.

You are a joke.

I'd go along with that if we had lost to Spurs & Villa because we were playing attacking football, but that's not how I see it. We played those games pretty much as we did last season, we just lost our ability to defend set pieces properly.

Actually, with Johnson's introduction, we have been a little more adventurous at times, but I still don't think that has anything to do with why we have lost 2 games this season.

Spot on there, Barry.

I bet that was the attitude since March this year. It was too little too late in the end but the change in attitude towards going for broke was definitely clear. And when some people pointed out that on here, they got called all kinds of names.

I just hope we don't do the same mistake again this season.