You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ashley Young in Liverpool...

ScouseJim

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cut it any way you want to but anyone who thinks young is worth anywhere near 25 mil + MON will almost certainly ask for is mad.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him play for liverpool but I don't think he is that much of an improvement to what we have and I'm pretty certain that agains the opposition tactics we face week in week out (i.e. teams who defend en masse) he will struggle because he is the sort of player that thrives when his team plays on the counter attack not against teams defend deep.

Every season Kuyt goes about 3 or 4 months stinking the place out but doesn't get stick from his fans or our pragmatic manager as he "works hard". Its revisionism to suggest "He was scoring throughout the season" - check the facts... look at specially between November and February and then reassess what you typed.

It's no coincidence Kuyts poor spells coincide with us playing 4 4 2 or when he has to play up top. He has very rarely been poor on the right of a 4 2 3 1.

cut it any way you want to but anyone who thinks young is worth anywhere near 25 mil + MON will almost certainly ask for is mad.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him play for liverpool but I don't think he is that much of an improvement to what we have and I'm pretty certain that agains the opposition tactics we face week in week out (i.e. teams who defend en masse) he will struggle because he is the sort of player that thrives when his team plays on the counter attack not against teams defend deep.

Kuyt, Riera and Babel have hardly set the world alight against deep defending have they?

Kuyt gets to play with Alonso, Gerrard, Torres - slight fucking difference. It would be interesting to see Kuyt at Villa.

the arguement 'he is surrended by better players' means absolutely nothing, people said the same thing about pennant when he was at brum what did the better players do for pennant's end product? as for kuyt playing with poor players when he was in holland he filled his boots surrounded by players I can only assume weren't the cream.

Well when you're crossing for Heskey for the last half of the season your assist rate's are bound to hit the skids.

Also worth noticing you have a greater chances to get goals when you find yourself in the box from corners and free kicks out wide than when you are the one taking them.

Dirk may have his faults, but I fucking love him. He's a fucking beast of a player.

I would also keep hold of Babel for at least another season. He's still only 22, but I still clinging on to the fact that he's gonna come good.

Yes, we know he's a lazy cunt, but midfielders like him that have potential to score goals cost shitloads of money. He has pace and power and when it comes off like the Marseille away game last season, he can be unplayable. Think his confidence and enthusiam was knocked from the lack of appearances.

As for Young, don't really see him in the match winner role or someone who is gonna make a huge difference, considering how much he's gonna cost. Not really convinced with what I saw from him last season, even though Villa was a very poor side at times last season. We already have Benayoun who can contribute with vital strikes and killer passes.

Silva on the other hand would be well worth the money. If we can't get him, I would go for Robben. We need impact players who would have turned all the draws last season into wins, which would have landed us the Premiership trophy last season.

People were actually suggesting we should sign him in January. It was frightening.

Rafa wanted that too, even Dave U said it was a done deal - except Parry vetoed it as he was on a free a few months later. Parry also vetoed the signing of Gareth Barry and the sale of Alonso.... he was a knob but has to be commended for that lot.

Young got the shite kicked out of him last season from around the Christmas time and was playing with an ankel injury during that time till the end of the season were if he played for us he would have been left out of the team to recover for a couple of weeks i think that is the main difference and it is around this time and situation that he is believed to have fallen out with MON and both wouldnt be high on each others Christmas card lists the fact that Downing was signed by MON would suggest that he had already agreed to sell Young to someone (Liverpool Spurs United City Chelsea Arsenal Real Madrid)? its a fact he won't be at Villa next season and the very fact that he is linked with all those teams tells you the player is top notch

I really like Dirk but he wasn't good enough to play up front for us and has found a new niche out wide. A very watered down version of Ray Kennedy if you like although it was more luck than judgement that he ended up playing there because Rafa wanted to accomodate him somewhere in the team wheras with Paisley it was brilliant foresight and judgement that he seen something in Ray Kennedy and he ended up playing left midfield for us after he floundered up front when bought by Shanks. At the end of the day Dirk is a failed striker who had a good season playing wide right last season, Young is 5 years younger and at the right club could be one of the best.

When Rafa signed Kuyt was it not because he knew he could play in any one of the four attacking positions - striker, wide left, right or through the middle, as he had done for Holland?

The tone of your post implies that Rafa, purely by chance, stuck Kuyt there because he was desperate to play him somewhere.

I think it's very doubtful that we'll have the money to sign Young if Alonso stays, on reflection, and given that Young will probably cost upwards of £20 million I'd rather we just kept Alonso and started the season with Riera.

When Rafa signed Kuyt was it not because he knew he could play in any one of the four attacking positions - striker, wide left, right or through the middle, as he had done for Holland?

The tone of your post implies that Rafa, purely by chance, stuck Kuyt there because he was desperate to play him somewhere.

You'll really have to stop twisting his words to make it look like he's always having a sly pop at Rafa...

Young got the shite kicked out of him last season from around the Christmas time and was playing with an ankel injury during that time till the end of the season were if he played for us he would have been left out of the team to recover for a couple of weeks i think that is the main difference and it is around this time and situation that he is believed to have fallen out with MON and both wouldnt be high on each others Christmas card lists the fact that Downing was signed by MON would suggest that he had already agreed to sell Young to someone (Liverpool Spurs United City Chelsea Arsenal Real Madrid)? its a fact he won't be at Villa next season and the very fact that he is linked with all those teams tells you the player is top notch

I don't think it's a fact at all, MON could simply want competition for left hand side. maybe he (MON) isn't yet strong enough to give consistantly for 38 games without a rest and who could argue with that given young's second half of the season slump.

I reckon he bought him to be a striker though which is where he played for all of 06-07. It wasn't until 07-08 when he played wide right after a decent 06-07 first season here then he stank up front in 07-08 for months before being shifted out wide. One particular game away at Ewood in 07-08 was excuciatingly bad from him when we had the whole Darwen end singing Peter Crouch's (who was surprise, surpise on the bench) for the whole of the second half. Kuyt was undroppable no matter how poorly he was playing. It irked a lot of fans at the time. It was similar in the same way Houllier accomodated Heskey on the left just to get him in the side.

I like him. On his day he's a fantastic player. However, whenever I've seen him play for England, he looks a different player. Fair enough, he hasn't exactly had many chances to show what he can do, but when he has, he's been fairly average. If he came here, for the price quoted, I'd be a little worried about how he'd deal with the pressure.

I reckon he'll go to to Spurs anyway. With Bentley going the other way, apparently.