You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest ShoePiss

Guest ShoePiss

So burning frozen burgers and crappy sausage while drinking shite lager not covered here. I'm sure there's one or two who bbq here so I'd like to see what you do, get tips, recipes etc.

Decided to get some ribs smoked for the weekend on the boat.

Cut the spare ribs st.louis style so they're easier to eat and marinaded them in italian vinegarette dressing overnight. Before putting in the smoker I sprinkled with a dry rub consisting of smoked paprika, brown sugar, smoked chipotle pepper,cinnamon, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

Hickory and Apple wood chunks for the burn, 2.5 hour smoke, spritzed with pineapple juice (ran out of apple juice) then covered with foil for an hour. If I was going to eat right away I'd do another hour after the foil to finish. All at 220-225F

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

I've just tried the off cuts from the spare ribs and they really are superb, for Saturday I'll cut them up and give them a quick blast on the gas bbq on the boat.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
Crumbs. That looks incredible.

Barbequed mackerel: oh my days. Tuna steaks work well too.

Not convinced by all the poncey covering your wood chips with pineapple juice though, sorry.

You apply it in a spray bottle to the meat not the wood and it keeps the meat moist and adds flavour. Spray every half hour or so.

Guest ShoePiss

more smokey goodness.

Smoked Jalapenos with cream cheese wrapped in bacon with a splash of Chipotle hot sauce

Garlic and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms

Hickory and Cherry wood chunks, 1.5hrs for the Jalapenos, 40 mins for the mushies @250F

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

damn - i've got to start taking pictures of my bbq's.

did a smoked bbq duck last week on the rotisserie - it was succulent, crispy and just beyond words.

got to be careful with duck - it can catch on fire real easy.

looks great though, stumpy....keep up the good work.

Guest ShoePiss
damn - i've got to start taking pictures of my bbq's.

did a smoked bbq duck last week on the rotisserie - it was succulent, crispy and just beyond words.

got to be careful with duck - it can catch on fire real easy.

looks great though, stumpy....keep up the good work.

Smoked duck, tell me more! I have an electric rotisserie on my gas grill, what kind of set up do you have to get one in a smoker? Or do you use a smoke box on your grill?

I've had bad luck with poultry, got to be really careful as they only need a little smoke. I did one last year when I first got my smoker and thought more smoke better flavour...really not true and it tasted like creosote.

I take photos mainly to remind me how I do things so I can repeat if they're successful.

Crumbs. That looks incredible.

Barbequed mackerel: oh my days. Tuna steaks work well too.

Not convinced by all the poncey covering your wood chips with pineapple juice though, sorry.

Tuna steaks are magic as are 400Gram aged T Bones. BTW real men use wood and flames not gas grills- might as well drag your oven outside:whistle:

Guest ShoePiss
Tuna steaks are magic as are 400Gram aged T Bones. BTW real men use wood and flames not gas grills- might as well drag your oven outside:whistle:

ha I have a gas grill, it is basically an outdoor kitchen and a wood burning smoker which is wait for it.....controlled by a gas burner! I guess that doesn't make me a real man in your eyes :)

If you've ever done real bbq you'll realise how hard it is to control temps on a real stick burner, some of the meat I do smokes for 14hrs and it needs to be at a constant temp of around 225F.

Oh and flames? Seriously you don't want that anywhere near your bbq...

Smoked duck, tell me more! I have an electric rotisserie on my gas grill, what kind of set up do you have to get one in a smoker? Or do you use a smoke box on your grill?

I've had bad luck with poultry, got to be really careful as they only need a little smoke. I did one last year when I first got my smoker and thought more smoke better flavour...really not true and it tasted like creosote.

I take photos mainly to remind me how I do things so I can repeat if they're successful.

not much too it really - the duck needs to be well seasoned. i just use a smoker box inside my gas bbq stuffed with wood chips, and in this case some tea leave.. also keep a pan under the duck for all the flammable fatty liquids (makes for a artery clogging bread dip though)

ha I have a gas grill, it is basically an outdoor kitchen and a wood burning smoker which is wait for it.....controlled by a gas burner! I guess that doesn't make me a real man in your eyes :)

If you've ever done real bbq you'll realise how hard it is to control temps on a real stick burner, some of the meat I do smokes for 14hrs and it needs to be at a constant temp of around 225F.

Oh and flames? Seriously you don't want that anywhere near your bbq...

ha ha just yankin ya chain mate. Agree with you about controlling the temp on a wood burner, closest I get is using the weber temp indicator for indirect cooking. That meat must fall off the bone after 14 hours, but haven't the guests all gone by then:P

more smokey goodness.

Smoked Jalapenos with cream cheese wrapped in bacon with a splash of Chipotle hot sauce

Garlic and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms

Hickory and Cherry wood chunks, 1.5hrs for the Jalapenos, 40 mins for the mushies @250F

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

The beauty of these, I assume, is that the cream cheese fights off some of the fire in the chillies, but still lets the heat come through.

Sounds good to me.