You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Cup QF, 2nd Leg vs Chelsea

The Chef

I dont think he will be dropped, but the attacking abilities of Hyypia and Agger could be a reason to actually do it, its not like either one of them are slouches at the back is it.

Some might even suggest Hyypia still is our best defender and with him in the team it could easily have been a 1-1 draw last Wednesday instead of a 1-3 loss.

Him being in the stands on Saturday might be a sign for this one.

Maybe he'll play up front!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he'll play up front!

Maybe but I cant see it, having him in the team for set pieces both at the back and up front will give us some added power though and it will also free up some space for Torres who I think is a good header of the ball.

Having all three of both Agger, Hyypia and Torres will certainly give us more of a chance to create chances and if we can get Gerrard outside the box instead of taking the corners its another added attacking weapon as well.

I think its really difficult to predict because its a new situation, we need to score 3 goals or else we are out.

If Hyypia starts up front as you have suggested a few times as a possibility I will be surprised.

If he is going to I think that would mean 3 at the back as I dont think Rafa will sacrifice either Kuyt, Mascherano, Alonso, Rieira, Gerrard or Torres to use him as a second striker, but if Gerrard cant play, who knows?

We need to play high up the pitch to get the 3 goals and i think they might play anelka to exploit that space, so agger has to start. Also i think they might use mikel as well as essien to nullify alonso/gerrard. Starting dirk up front and gerrard on the right might be an option if he's fit, if not yossi. I think babel would be better on the bench as i agree with a lot of other comments about his attitude/application. Whatever team lines up tomorrow night we have a chance a great chance because when were written off were at our most dangerous.

been struggling to see what formation we could employ which would work - I can't see one but there is more to tactics than just formation - its all fluid now anyway - what we need is luck and a great performance - Chelsea are a fit side full of strong players - and Hiddink is a top manager - complacency on their part is probably our best chance - that and the fact they may miss Terry's presence and determination, they may have one eye on the FA cup final and be looking for an easy game

where are they weak? full back? out wide? - Kalou and Malouda were unrecognisable and that right back probably had the game of his life - can they do it twice - hopefully not

I think I'd go with Gerrard on the bench if there is any doubt he isn't 100% - hopefully subconsciously they'll slack off and thinks its won - then those who do play, play with a high tempo for the first 20 throw it all in - have Kuyt buzzing from start to finish, Torres at his imperious best terrifying their back line and two players outwide who know they are coming off after an hour giving everything

the problem for me is who can we trust to do the job for the team left and right, who have the energy and threat but also the defensive nose to keep us in the game - to just work them as hard as we can for an hour to run their legs off

Keep in the game hopefully get a goal ahead until 30 mins to go and then bring on the supersubs and the talismanic Gerrard and watch Chelsea shit themselves and us rip them apart.... sounds easy

I fancy us to win this but go out overall such is the power of Chelsea's attack and the form of the unplayable Drogba.

In my opinion, the only chance we have is to play our normal game.

I know a lot of people are talking about using extra forwards, but we always play better as a team and score more goals as a team when we play 4-2-3-1.

I know Rafa took a lot of abuse after the Hull game when he said that extra forwards don't guarantee goals (when he brought on Lucas rather than Keane) and a lot of it was justified. But in there somewhere, there is a point.

If we chucked extra bodies up there, we'd probably start throwing aimless balls straight into Cech's hands.

What we need is Alonso and Mascherano to take control of midfield, our full backs and wingers to stretch Chelsea and for Gerrard and Torres to play blinders.

And probably a couple of great saves from Reina and a few missed sitters from Chelsea!

We need the perfect performance, but I don't think that involves ripping up our normal script and going gung ho.

What we need to do is create chances and take them.

Completly agreed. We smashed 4 past United at theirs and we did very little different to what we usually do; it would be crazy ( even by Rafa's standards) to abandon tactics that have brought us so much success over his time in Europe.

Knowing their roles in the team will clearly help the players as they'll know precisely what's expected of them on the pitch. Three goals and keep it tight. I wouldn't even worry if we're 1-0 up with 20 or 15 minutes to go such is our tendency to score late goals.

On a different note, I cannot get my head around why people would like Babel to start. He doesn't track back, he loses possession readily, has little end product and one thing he certainly does not have is the heart to go into a game of this magnitude, in these circumstances, to make a difference.

I advocate starting Babel on the basis he's fast, direct and is easily capable of getting a few goals. The alternative is Riera and I could guarantee he won't be the difference on the night.

It's the bolded that I take issue with in particular. Babel's scored in a lot of massive games in his short time here; I can only think of Kuyt who pops in big games at a greater rate.

Marseille ( it was a massive match), Chelsea and winners against United and Arsenal show that he's capable at this level and that he's more likely to shine on the bigger stage. Not many players could do what he did to the world's best full back in the last round, on that basis alone he should be starting. His style of play is really important to the tempo I'd like to see us set in the game.

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them. You can’t call yourselves Liverpool players if you have your heads down. If we create a few chances we have the possibility of getting back into this. Believe you can do it and you will. Give yourself the chance to be heroes’."

Fucking come on. The southern fuckers won't know what's hit them.

You know I think Rafa might go two ways on this.

He will either take the tried and tested team that he knows is solid or he will go pick a team with the mentality that we've got nothing to lose.

Anyway, I think this will go down to the wire.

I'd like to see Sami play just for the fact that he's our biggest threat from set pieces. The pace of Drogba would worry me with Sami at the back though. Agger should definitely start instead of Skrtel because he is equally adept at defending and there's way more chance of him getting us a goal, which is what we need.

Pepe

Bob

Carra

Agger

Aurelio

Masch

Alonso

Riera

Kuyt

Gerrard

Torres

With Sami coming on for Bob with 20 minutes left if we're peppering them and they've dropped off.

hopefully stick Hyypia up top and just launch it all game Bolton style, not pretty but effective

Not sure if Sami can play - not registered?

I dont want to see Aurelio in the team. Insua at left back please. Hopefully Agger in for Skrtel, but if Skrtel plays, then lets pray he doesn't have another bad one.

Masche will change the midfield in our favour, and with Terry out, things look up. I think we can score goals, I think we can score 4 goals. They said we couldn't score at The Bridge last season. We scored 2.

Will we concede?

It's half time and like Istanbul, we're down; unlike istanbul however, we're only two down.

Lets at least force penalties and go thru, but ideally, lets go for 4-0.

I believe.

Justice for the 96

YNWA

Not sure if Sami can play - not registered?

I dont want to see Aurelio in the team. Insua at left back please.

Hyypia is registered, he sat on the bench in the first leg, Insua on the other hand is not.

Back in the box to do some more thinking.

There's way too much worrying about Chelsea going on in this thread. The reason we lost 3-1 last week was because we were shit, not because they were amazing. This is a team we've beaten twice already this season including at their place, breaking a four year undefeated record. OK, so in Essien and Drogba they've got their two best players back and in form, but so have we. We just need our strongest eleven out on the pitch in their usual formation and we need to play our normal hardworking, aggressive style with an emphasis on retaining the ball and releasing the front two early. If we do that, we'll recover lost pride at the very least - guaranteed. However, with a fair wind, a bit of luck and an explosive start, we could even go through.

Pepe

Albert Carra Skrtel Aurelio

Xabi The Chief

Dirk Gerrard Riera

El Nino

Fuck Dirk and Riera on the wings again, Chelsea would love that.

Put Nando there.

I reckon in a game like this where we need lots of goals, it's a good option to have Benayoun and Babel come off the bench late on when players are getting a bit tired. Also it gives a different look if it's not working out. I think those two are better off the bench than Kuyt and Riera for one reason or another.

I'd play Agger I think as well.

Hyypia is registered, he sat on the bench in the first leg, Insua on the other hand is not.

Back in the box to do some more thinking.

oh dear, i got that wrong didn't i?

That'll teach me to listen to my old man. I argued that Sami should play, he argued that Sami CANT play, and I believed him. Although I saw the game last week, it was a bad feed over the internet, and I missed the start so was unaware of who was on the bench.

Anyway, I'dlike to see him play regardless of the penalty in last season's semi at the bridge.

Fuck Dirk and Riera on the wings again, Chelsea would love that.

Put Nando there.

Much as I'm no huge fan of Dirk's, his power and graft could be absolutely essential to us tonight. Ditto Riera's ability to retain possession.

Guest Dog Chaser

A 4-1 win tonight, We'll score 2 in the first 15 mins then they score before we get another just before half time. In the second half we pinch a fourth as they expose themselves at the back trying to get a goal. Torres (2), Gerrard and Kuyt.