You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Cup QF, 2nd Leg vs Chelsea

The Chef

They also need to be primarily be defenders who can attack, rather than attackers who can't defend.

Very true which is why Arbeloa and Dossena would be ideal as wing backs. We need to spring a few tactical surprises on Tuesday, and a back 3 together with our best 3 central midfielders in the team and 2 wing backs may be the answer. I would like to see both Hyypia and Agger start, as both are a genuine goal threat.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, the only chance we have is to play our normal game.

I know a lot of people are talking about using extra forwards, but we always play better as a team and score more goals as a team when we play 4-2-3-1.

I know Rafa took a lot of abuse after the Hull game when he said that extra forwards don't guarantee goals (when he brought on Lucas rather than Keane) and a lot of it was justified. But in there somewhere, there is a point.

If we chucked extra bodies up there, we'd probably start throwing aimless balls straight into Cech's hands.

What we need is Alonso and Mascherano to take control of midfield, our full backs and wingers to stretch Chelsea and for Gerrard and Torres to play blinders.

And probably a couple of great saves from Reina and a few missed sitters from Chelsea!

We need the perfect performance, but I don't think that involves ripping up our normal script and going gung ho.

What we need to do is create chances and take them.

I know a lot of people are talking about using extra forwards, but we always play better as a team and score more goals as a team when we play 4-2-3-1.

I know Rafa took a lot of abuse after the Hull game when he said that extra forwards don't guarantee goals (when he brought on Lucas rather than Keane) and a lot of it was justified. But in there somewhere, there is a point.

If we chucked extra bodies up there, we'd probably start throwing aimless balls straight into Cech's hands.

What we need is Alonso and Mascherano to take control of midfield, our full backs and wingers to stretch Chelsea and for Gerrard and Torres to play blinders.

And probably a couple of great saves from Reina and a few missed sitters from Chelsea!

We need the perfect performance, but I don't think that involves ripping up our normal script and going gung ho.

You may be right, but Hiddink and Chelsea will be ready for our normal game. We need to do something a bit different to reverse a 3-1 1st leg loss.

You may be right, but Hiddink and Chelsea will be ready for our normal game. We need to do something a bit different to reverse a 3-1 1st leg loss.

I think we need to squeeze the space better when we don't have the ball and prevent them from playing. This is not just a defensive measure it's an attacking one. When we fail to press teams and allow them room, it provides them with a platform to play freely, obviously but when we are attacking and lose the ball, the pressing of space, immediately around the opposition area often leads to them lumping the ball up the field because they have no space to bring the ball forward with, or us regaining possession via a challenge which, in turn, allows us to make a fresh attack.

I think we should go with our 4-2-3-1 formation, the formation that has led to us becoming the highest goalscorers in the country. It is not strictly a defensive formation, not in the traditional sense of soaking up the pressure anyway, it's a fluid, dynamic system that allows for defence anywhere on the pitch with the aim of regaining possession, so as to launch a fresh attack. Most defensive formations rely upon soaking up pressure and scoring on the counter, or from a set-piece, this one doesn't. Tactically, this formation is in a world of its own.

On a different note, I cannot get my head around why people would like Babel to start. He doesn't track back, he loses possession readily, has little end product and one thing he certainly does not have is the heart to go into a game of this magnitude, in these circumstances, to make a difference.

I think we need to squeeze the space better when we don't have the ball and prevent them from playing. This is not just a defensive measure it's an attacking one. When we fail to press teams and allow them room, it provides them with a platform to play freely, obviously but when we are attacking and lose the ball, the pressing of space, immediately around the opposition area often leads to them lumping the ball up the field because they have no space to bring the ball forward with, or us regaining possession via a challenge which, in turn, allows us to make a fresh attack.

I think we should go with our 4-2-3-1 formation, the formation that has led to us becoming the highest goalscorers in the country. It is not strictly a defensive formation, not in the traditional sense of soaking up the pressure anyway, it's a fluid, dynamic system that allows for defence anywhere on the pitch with the aim of regaining possession, so as to launch a fresh attack. Most defensive formations rely upon soaking up pressure and scoring on the counter, or from a set-piece, this one doesn't. Tactically, this formation is in a world of its own.

On a different note, I cannot get my head around why people would like Babel to start. He doesn't track back, he loses possession readily, has little end product and one thing he certainly does not have is the heart to go into a game of this magnitude, in these circumstances, to make a difference.

Very true. Mascherano is excellent at doing that and we missed him a lot in the 1st leg.

Wing backs need to be fast, be able to defend and attack, and be high energy. Neither would cut it and Chelsea would rape us down the flanks. I also don't think 3 at the back is the answer as Chelsea play with 1 striker. We need to get players on the pitch who can score goals, who are good finishers. For me Benayoun and Babel have to play alongside Gerrard and Torres in attack. The rest of the team picks itself. (I'd have Agger in too)

There's only one way to beat them, get round the back.

Reina

Arbeloa

Carra

Agger

Insua

Benayoun

Alonso

Mascherano

Babel

Gerrard

Torres

We've just got to go at them and believe that we can actually score three and not concede.

It's highly unlikely but if we were to score in the first ten minutes, it would make things very interesting indeed.

Is right. We should play the way we want and not be forced to changed to suit the oppos. Mascherano will be back so he should prevent any surging runs through the midfield. We need to tighten up at the back compared to the first leg and defend set pieces better.

Not so. If anything, the chavs will be expecting us to change which would play straight into their hands imo. We should always, always play to our strengths and never let the oppos dictate how they want us to play.

What we need different is to defend set pieces better than we did in the first leg and some better finishing. If kuyt would have made a better decision with his 'chance' immediately after they equalised, we would be looking at 3-2 or an entirely different scoreline than we are now.

Reina

Arbeloa

Carra

Agger

Insua

Benayoun

Alonso

Mascherano

Babel

Gerrard

Torres

We've just got to go at them and believe that we can actually score three and not concede.

It's highly unlikely but if we were to score in the first ten minutes, it would make things very interesting indeed.

Personally, I wouldn't play both Benayoun and Babel from the start because they both tend to come inside and leave us very narrow.

I can see Yossi being very useful because he can score goals and also come in off the wing and play wee through balls like the one he played to Torres on the same ground in the semi last year.

I'd be reluctant to leave out either Kuyt or Riera though because they can both score goals and Riera stays wide and keeps the shape.

I haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone considered the possibility of Gerrard not starting this one either?

Insua isn't registered to play in the champions league, unfortunately.

I actually think not starting Gerrard would be a good idea. A big part of their game plan will be to once again nullify his threat. If he's not in the team it might shock them a little, and we could bring him on after an hour or so if things are going according to plan.

If he isn't 100% I'd hate for us to risk him and for him to then miss a couple of league games.

Insua isn't registered to play in the champions league, unfortunately.

I actually think not starting Gerrard would be a good idea. A big part of their game plan will be to once again nullify his threat. If he's not in the team it might shock them a little, and we could bring him on after an hour or so if things are going according to plan.

If he isn't 100% I'd hate for us to risk him and for him to then miss a couple of league games.

So Essien only has to man mark Benni instead of SG. Yeah, that'll be tough for them.

Providing he's not injured or adversely impacted through a niggling injury. Against Steven Gerrard tomorrow, Chelsea will feel like they are playing a team with a combination of (all at their peak), Patrick Viera, David Beckham, Roy Keane and Glenn Hoddle

Yeh I know some of you may be psychologically torn with that, the mentioning of two ex Mancs and a guy who believes disabled peeps had what's coming to them, but from a pure footballing perspective, Gerrard is all the above players and this will be seen tomorrow in front of 40,000 odd Chelsea fans, who know that if they had signed him when they almost did, they'd be head and shoulder's dominating on all fronts over the past few years.

Edited by Jerzy Dudek
disability

I'm getting a bit worried as I've managed to guess correctly rafs last 2 line ups. Where is the unpredictability we've grown to know and scratch our heads at only for it to somehow work?

That said I'd go for the same team as saturday with Aurelio in for Insua. Hopefully Kuyt can outmuscle carvalho or Alex and create some time and space for Torres to do his stuff.

Mascherano will rule the midfield

At the other end, Drogba is going to be hard work. I hope Agger can deal with him.

And what of Gerrard? I'd leave him on the bench I think as I'd rather have him for sunday against Arsenal. If we can manage to get to 2 nil at some stage then he could be brought on to try and push us over the finishing line. A fresh Gerrard against a tired Essien should give stevie the advantage.

I'm getting a bit worried as I've managed to guess correctly rafs last 2 line ups. Where is the unpredictability we've grown to know and scratch our heads at only for it to somehow work?

That said I'd go for the same team as saturday with Aurelio in for Insua. Hopefully Kuyt can outmuscle carvalho or Alex and create some time and space for Torres to do his stuff.

Mascherano will rule the midfield

At the other end, Drogba is going to be hard work. I hope Agger can deal with him.

And what of Gerrard? I'd leave him on the bench I think as I'd rather have him for sunday against Arsenal. If we can manage to get to 2 nil at some stage then he could be brought on to try and push us over the finishing line. A fresh Gerrard against a tired Essien should give stevie the advantage.

Is Aurelio fit?

He was terrible in the first leg and didn't make the 18 at all on Saturday.

Arsenal isn't until Tuesday 21st.

If Gerrard's fit, play him.

Play the same team bar Lucas for masch and we'll have the best chance. It ain't over.

I dont agree with that as I think both Agger and Hyypia should start as both have goals in them and have better arial ability than Carra/Skrtel so they will cope better with Chelsea`s main strengths.

Maybe thats surprise Rafa will pull, to drop Carra?

carra is vital and has to play.

He tells everyone what to do during the game, he is a leader and if he doesn't play it will be madness.

I dont think he will be dropped, but the attacking abilities of Hyypia and Agger could be a reason to actually do it, its not like either one of them are slouches at the back is it.

Some might even suggest Hyypia still is our best defender and with him in the team it could easily have been a 1-1 draw last Wednesday instead of a 1-3 loss.

Him being in the stands on Saturday might be a sign for this one.

Camvista.com and Chelsea FC bring you live multiple webcam views inside Chelsea's football stadium, Stamford Bridge, in Fulham London. We believe this is the first European Football Club to host a multi-view webcam. Stamford Bridge Football stadium, home to Chelsea Football club, has a 42,000 seating capacity.