You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Cup QF, 2nd Leg vs Chelsea

The Chef

There is one way he could throw Chelsea and their man marking and that would be to play Gerrard on the right or left.

Remember he played him on the left at Chelsea once before and but for a couple of bad misses from Steven, it nearly worked because their right back was shite.

Personally, like I said earlier, I'd go for our strongest 11 to start and that's the one that played against Villa.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen so many strange suggestions for line-ups ever on here. I mean, don't play Carra and Gerrard? Wtf?

The team more or less picks itself for me:

Pepe

Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Aurelio

Javier-Xabi

Kuyt-Gerrard-Riera

Torres

A case could be made for both Sami and Martin, but neither Carra nor Agger get dropped by me.

The only real consideration for me is whether Benni should get the nod instead of Kuyt, but the latter just edges it.

The closer we get to kick-off, the more belief I have. Fucking come on, we can do them. And what a sweet victory it would be.

There is one way he could throw Chelsea and their man marking and that would be to play Gerrard on the right or left.

Remember he played him on the left at Chelsea once before and but for a couple of bad misses from Steven, it nearly worked because their right back was shite.

Personally, like I said earlier, I'd go for our strongest 11 to start and that's the one that played against Villa.

Steven Gerrard is good enough to deal with being man-marked by any player in the world - a collective off-night last Wednesday doesn't change that fact. I'll be stunned if he doesn't play like a man possessed tonight, taking the piss into the bargain. Essien will not know what's hit him.

I get the impression there will be people on here crying tales of woe as soon as the team sheet is announced and then proceeding to further cry the whole way through the game about shithouse tactics and cunts, like going to Stamford Bridge and banging in 3 goals without reply is the least they could do!

Steven Gerrard is good enough to deal with being man-marked by any player in the world - a collective off-night last Wednesday doesn't change that fact. I'll be stunned if he doesn't play like a man possessed tonight, taking the piss into the bargain. Essien will not know what's hit him.

True, but I was actually quite surprised that Rafa spring something different in the first leg, as he likes to do (3 at the back from time to time, Le Tallec v Juve.)

I thought he might have brought either Benayoun or Babel in, with Mascherano out.

Not that he should have done it, I just thought he might do it beforehand.

So it wouldn't be at all surprising if he did move away from the normal 11 tonight.

Fuck me, I totally believe we can win this after reading this thread.

I'd stick the best 11 we have out, which is as some people have already suggested:

Pepe

Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Aurelio

Javier-Xabi

Kuyt-Gerrard-Riera

Torres

Agger gets in over Skrtel for me as he's more of a goal threat.

However, I can see Rafa springing something; loving Dave's suggestion of playing Sami up front.

Come on redmen!

What's the latest on the Gerrard injury? Is he still injured, starting drom the bench?

Looks like he'll start.

Haven't heard anything on Aurelio, who wasn't in the 18 on Saturday but then I suppose Insua can't play tonight so it was probably just a rest.

Essien wasn't in their 18 on Saturday either, probably for the same reason.

I would guess the only doubt for Liverpool is who will partner Carragher.

I think you are underestimating essien. personally I think its up to others to make use of the space essien leaves by tracking gerrard.

I can see Rafa doing something completely unexpected tonight. Expect Nando to not start and come on at half time at 1-1. THen watch us jizz on their chips with a perfect nando hat-trick finished with a left footed bicycle kick. And Andy Gray at home going on to himself about how the lad has no left foot!

I can see Rafa doing something completely unexpected tonight. Expect Nando to not start and come on at half time at 1-1. THen watch us jizz on their chips with a perfect nando hat-trick finished with a left footed bicycle kick. And Andy Gray at home going on to himself about how the lad has no left foot!

Cue Richard Keys telling us that "this is the one that Liverpool fans really want."

I think you are underestimating essien. personally I think its up to others to make use of the space essien leaves by tracking gerrard.

Not at all. He's their best player, in my view. I just think Gerrard is better. Fitness could well be the deciding factor though. As for your point about others, that goes without saying - this is a team game after all. All the stuff about Gerrard being a one-man team is media shite and nothing to do with my point. I say again, if we play in our normal, aggressive style, I don't think there's a battle anywhere on the pitch that we'll lose. That doesn't mean we'll win the match though, let alone the tie. This is primarily about momentum and pride for me; anything more is just a fantastic bonus.

I know a lot of people frown upon talking about the opposition, as if it shows some kind of weakness or fear, but fuck it, we're not giving the team talk so how do you reckon Chelsea will line up?

Just the one change, Carvalho for Terry, from the first leg?

Or will they use the likes of Belletti, Deco, Anelka or Mikel?

3-1 isn't that much of a mountain to climb, even with 45 mins to go.

I reckon it's massive in this context. They are a great side playing at home for a place in the European Cup semi-final with half the tie already over. This is not far off as tough as it gets. However, it is still do-able, obviously.

I know a lot of people frown upon talking about the opposition, as if it shows some kind of weakness or fear, but fuck it, we're not giving the team talk so how do you reckon Chelsea will line up?

Just the one change, Carvalho for Terry, from the first leg?

Or will they use the likes of Belletti, Deco, Anelka or Mikel?

David Pleat's key clashes at Stamford Bridge

The decisive individual battles that will influence the outcome when Chelsea host Liverpool in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final

Torres-and-Terry-001.jpg Liverpool's Fernando Torres will relish the task of facing a Chelsea side missing the suspended John Terry. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Alex v Fernando Torres

The Spaniard is in explosive form at present, his goals against Blackburn on Saturday summing up his abilities in the air and on the turf. He has struck up a telepathic understanding with Steven Gerrard and his movement in the box is as canny as that of any world-class striker. He may relish the opportunity to play against a Chelsea line-up denied the suspended John Terry. Alex, expected to play alongside Ricardo Carvalho in the England captain's absence, is a man-mountain who can strike a crossfield ball with tremendous accuracy and has a powerful free-kick. The Brazilian also possesses tremendous strength, has deceptive speed on the deck and, while he may look surly at times, is very focused and will enjoy the closer marking responsibility on Torres more than life as a covering centre-back with Terry. In this match, Carvalho will be the coverer while Alex uses his rugged qualities to make the evening as uncomfortable as possible for Liverpool's Spanish striker.

Branislav Ivanovic v Albert Riera

Riera, in recent weeks, has shown worrying signs of the timidity that was apparent while briefly at Manchester City but he remains exceptionally good at shielding the ball and is a vital outlet for Liverpool. In the first leg, he endured a poor supply and Liverpool must improve their delivery to the flank if the Spaniard is to force a passage down the wing into dangerous areas. Ivanovic, whose star is currently high, showed unexpected speed on the turf at Anfield and a competent performance regardless of his vital headed goals. It may be that the Chelsea manager, Guus Hiddink, has found a full-back with greater defensive qualities than Jose Bosingwa. The Serb will not be beaten on the outside easily, but Riera is more than comfortable drifting inside with the ball in possession. With that in mind, Chelsea should not underestimate the winger's cleverness as they attempt to snuff out his threat.

Florent Malouda v Alvaro Arbeloa

The Frenchman has had a difficult time since joining Chelsea from Lyon, his reputation having been forged with Les Bleus. His style of play should suit the west Londoners' system of getting beyond Premier League full-backs but he has struggled to adapt. Malouda is a relatively straightforward player but retains the ability to whip crosses in with speed. Now, at last, his confidence is returning after bit-part roles under Avram Grant and Luiz Felipe Scolari and he has played his part in Chelsea's resurgence. His delivery was a threat at Anfield, as was his gliding movement. Liverpool, who once courted him, will be wary of his presence. The task of blocking his charges will fall to Arbeloa. Rafael Benítez's faith in his compatriot at full-back has been justified as he, too, has gained confidence. The key here will be an ability to force Malouda in-field where the winger seems to run out of ideas too readily, though that will require strength and astute positioning to prevent the Frenchman bursting down the flank. Knowing that Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso are very defensively minded, Arbeloa can be confident of joining the approach play with security at his back. His right-foot delivery has improved considerably and he has made that full-back position his own.

I think Mikel and Essien might start together with Drogba, Ballack and Lampard further up, Hiddink is going to pick the most physically intimidating side he can to stop us playing me thinks.

How do people think we should be approaching this game?

We have to win by 3 goals just to take it to extra time, our captain is injured/recovering from injury (depending on what reports you read) and we are in the tightest title race for a long time.

Is Rafa right to take a gamble on Stevie and hope his inspiration can propel us to a rampant victory that see's us through to the next round or is it too much of a risk.

If anyone could overcome such a deficit and progress to the next stage it is us and if Bolton can be 4-0 down and come back to score 3 and have one cleared off the line surely there is hope for us to?

On the reverse side it would take a tremendous effort in itself just to score a couple goals and even if we did score 4 this would see our players playing possibly 120 mins of football just to go out on penalties. Either way we could see the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, Carragher etc giving their all for anywhere from 90 - 120 mins at the risk of gaining nothing from it except taking every ounce of energy out of our players. Add to that the fact that Gerrard is not 100% and Torres has been injury prone all season do we really want to risk them being injured against Arsenal next week?

I talked to a mate about this last night and we both said we would like to see Gerrard and Torres starting on the bench and being brought on if we get a goal or two. You could rest some other top players but I think unless they are an injury risk play them as they will have a week until the next game. This would be my ideal way of going at the game - recognising that a miracle is needed to get through to the next stage so switch concentration to the league just don't let ourselves get embarressed again like last week.

However thinking about it some more it becomes more complicated than that. Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough and some could say that it is owed to all those affected that the team gives it their best effort on the eve of the anniversary and given the occasion maybe this will give us the extra boost to be successful.

Anyway this is just a long way of me asking: What do people think - give it our all and try and do the impossible or give up on the Champions League and focus on the league?

Just attack them from the off- use the same high tempo tactics that we used against Real and against Juve a few seasons back. There's as much use to winning 1-0 as there is to getting beat 4-0 so we have nothing to lose on that front. We just have to go at them right from the first whistle.

I've said it before though, one of the good things is that even if they score first, it doesn't change our approach to them because we'll still need to score three regardless, albeit that to take it to extra-time rather than win it outright.

How do people think we should be approaching this game?

We have to win by 3 goals just to take it to extra time, our captain is injured/recovering from injury (depending on what reports you read) and we are in the tightest title race for a long time.

Is Rafa right to take a gamble on Stevie and hope his inspiration can propel us to a rampant victory that see's us through to the next round or is it too much of a risk.

If anyone could overcome such a deficit and progress to the next stage it is us and if Bolton can be 4-0 down and come back to score 3 and have one cleared off the line surely there is hope for us to?

On the reverse side it would take a tremendous effort in itself just to score a couple goals and even if we did score 4 this would see our players playing possibly 120 mins of football just to go out on penalties. Either way we could see the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, Carragher etc giving their all for anywhere from 90 - 120 mins at the risk of gaining nothing from it except taking every ounce of energy out of our players. Add to that the fact that Gerrard is not 100% and Torres has been injury prone all season do we really want to risk them being injured against Arsenal next week?

I talked to a mate about this last night and we both said we would like to see Gerrard and Torres starting on the bench and being brought on if we get a goal or two. You could rest some other top players but I think unless they are an injury risk play them as they will have a week until the next game. This would be my ideal way of going at the game - recognising that a miracle is needed to get through to the next stage so switch concentration to the league just don't let ourselves get embarressed again like last week.

However thinking about it some more it becomes more complicated than that. Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough and some could say that it is owed to all those affected that the team gives it their best effort on the eve of the anniversary and given the occasion maybe this will give us the extra boost to be successful.

Anyway this is just a long way of me asking: What do people think - give it our all and try and do the impossible or give up on the Champions League and focus on the league?

Thank fuck you and your mate don't manage our club then, that's all I can say really.

Liverpool Football Club does not exist to prioritise competitions. We exist solely to win trophies and always have done. Every trophy is treated equally and every trophy should be challenged for 100%.

I have no fear of us scoring goals tonite..........but we need to nulify Drogba's threat.Would it be possible to stick Jamie C on his ass all evening???

Will Stevie G be man-marked tonite???.......not sure, think the job was done 1st leg.

Anyway an early 1st goal is vital to settle us .....and rattle them.

Do you think coming public about Gus finishin-up end of season may unsettle things a bit also??

I think we should definitely play our regular team the only exception is Agger in for Skrtel.

Save Yossi and/or Babel as impact players in the second half after Riera and Kuyt work their asses off in the first half.

If Gerrard is being marked out of the game he needs to look to pull out wide and switch with Kuyt or Riera looking to come through the middle.