You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neil Young

King Emlyn

13 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

James Blunt has tweeted that if Spotify doesn't immediately remove Joe Rogan he will release new music onto the platform.

I don't like his music but he's a cracking fella.

Hahahahahaha he’s great on there him 

2 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Yeah. If he is such the bogeyman everyone makes him out to be.

I thought the point was that people were protesting his bullshit about the Covid vaccines.  It would be a bit much if they were to do a pre-emptive strike before he started promoting dangerous nonsense.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I thought the point was that people were protesting his bullshit about the Covid vaccines.  It would be a bit much if they were to do a pre-emptive strike before he started promoting dangerous nonsense.

Indeed. I mean, he’s always been a right-wing moron for an audience who wouldn’t know critical thinking if it screamed in their face, but I suppose everyone had their limits. Both Young and Mitchell survived Polio as kids, so it’s not hard to see why the anti-vax bollocks was the final straw.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Indeed. I mean, he’s always been a right-wing moron for an audience who wouldn’t know critical thinking if it screamed in their face, but I suppose everyone had their limits. Both Young and Mitchell survived Polio as kids, so it’s not hard to see why the anti-vax bollocks was the final straw.

My mum had polio and diptheria when she was little and wasn't expected to survive. This was before the vaccines so whenever there was a vaccine for something she made sure we had it. 

She'll be 80 in May and thinks anyone who doesn't get vaccinated for anything, in her words, "are fucking idiots" and "these antivaxxers are making it worse, they should be locked up".

Very opinionated my mum and I disagree with a lot and I mean a lot of what she says, but sometimes she's spot on and she is here.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

How are they protesting “his” bullshit?

Young has a stance of the streaming industry which I back, however he’s appearing to hide behind Rogan as an excuse to move away from Spotify. I find that a bit lame and weak. 

The only result of these deplatforming moves is further erosion of the freedom of speech - targets just move to another platform which then in turn further defragments media landscape and makes people even more radicalized and society that much more polarized.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

How are they protesting “his” bullshit?

Young has a stance of the streaming industry which I back, however he’s appearing to hide behind Rogan as an excuse to move away from Spotify. I find that a bit lame and weak. 

How so? 

He's big enough and ugly enough to have stepped away from Spotify ages ago. He doesn't need to hide behind anything. 

There's really no reason for anyone to suspect that this is anything other than what it looks like.

43 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The only result of these deplatforming moves is further erosion of the freedom of speech - targets just move to another platform which then in turn further defragments media landscape and makes people even more radicalized and society that much more polarized.

What was that alternative twitter called that they all said they were fucking off too? Wonder if thats still going. All just shouting absolute shite into a void because they all agree with each other 

37 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If you'll allow me to stretch a metaphor to breaking point, when some nobhead shouts "Fire" in a crowded theatre, it's not an unjust infringement of their freedom to bar them from all theatres. It's necessary to keep all the non-nobheads safe. If the banned nobheads then open a theatre of their own, where they can all shout "Fire" at each other all night long, so what?

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

How so? 

He's big enough and ugly enough to have stepped away from Spotify ages ago. He doesn't need to hide behind anything. 

There's really no reason for anyone to suspect that this is anything other than what it looks like.

Why not? Because you say so?

If there isn’t, Why has Young waited till now to leave Spotify when he’s been against theirs and other music streaming sites business models and up they have artists off? 

It comes across hiding behind the excuse of misinformation, yet he’s been happy for all other sorts of misinformation to go about for years or asked to be removed from any other big tech firms for other people dishing out misinformation.

He’s made himself look a little bit of a l divvy by saying “Hey Spotify it’s me or Joe Rogan!”

It was obvious how that was going to end as they will only look at the numbers. And the numbers are that not as many people listen to Neil Young as much as they listen to Joe Rogan.

And all that has done is increase Rogan’s profile and reach. It has done the exact opposite of what the “people” want. 

40 odd years ago that tactic may have worked. But not today. 

On a wider note, It seems that everything was game before Covid, and nobody cared who was in and on what platform. 

It’s all just a load bullshit and hypocrisy on all sides isn’t it.

3 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Right-wing? For having a difference of opinion on Covid treatment and talking about the side effects of a vaccine? 

Mentalist. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Right-wing? For having a difference of opinion on Covid treatment and talking about the side effects of a vaccine? 

Mentalist. 

His racism would indicate he has right wing tendencies to be fair but he did say he's never voted right wing didn't he? 

Fuck him anyway, Neil Youngs music is miles better. 

39 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I'd be pissed off if I was getting 1p per billion plays of a track that I had lovingly crafted whilst some blert was getting 100 million dollars for talking dangerous shite. 

This is the part that is blown out of proportion - he signed over his entire back catalog and it is a multi year license - probably 5 years. It is made out to be like he is the new media messiah printing money.

Howard Stern was making 100 million a YEAR 20 years ago. His first deal with Sirius was 500 million for 5 years.

Rogan comes from the same school as radio shock jocks.

Imus, Stern, Limbaugh - he is nowhere near them in quality or revenue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Why not? Because you say so?

If there isn’t, Why has Young waited till now to leave Spotify when he’s been against theirs and other music streaming sites business models and up they have artists off? 

It comes across hiding behind the excuse of misinformation, yet he’s been happy for all other sorts of misinformation to go about for years or asked to be removed from any other big tech firms for other people dishing out misinformation.

He’s made himself look a little bit of a l divvy by saying “Hey Spotify it’s me or Joe Rogan!”

It was obvious how that was going to end as they will only look at the numbers. And the numbers are that not as many people listen to Neil Young as much as they listen to Joe Rogan.

And all that has done is increase Rogan’s profile and reach. It has done the exact opposite of what the “people” want. 

40 odd years ago that tactic may have worked. But not today. 

On a wider note, It seems that everything was game before Covid, and nobody cared who was in and on what platform. 

It’s all just a load bullshit and hypocrisy on all sides isn’t it.

I love the way you come across with the "because you say so" schtick, as if there is anything other than because you say so to back up your daft little theory. 

(Incidentally, threatening to leave a streaming service wouldn't have worked 40 years ago, because... y'know...)

If this is all about Spotify's business model, why didn't Neil Young leave earlier? Literally the only thing that explains the timing of this is the reason that Neil Young has given and that every normal intelligent person has understood and accepted (whether they agree with it or not).

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

So, as I'm increasingly pissed off with Spotify, on which streaming service should I invest my coin? Bearing in mind we are a Mac house, so moving to Apple Music would be easy, and in many ways preferable.

Dust off the record player mate. 

Apple Music did a free 3 month thing a few years back and I used it a bit but it's shit compared with Spotify. It was then anyway. Spotify pisses on all streaming services.