You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

divorce question

robbief

if i was to buy a house and get the mortgage in my name only and then got married, what would happen if she divorced me if;

A) she paid me some cash towards the mortgage?

b) she didn't pay towards mortgage?

It depends. Contrary to popular belief, she wouldn't be entitled to half if the house was yours before you married, but you would have to pay her off for money she'd contributed towards the mortgage.

When I got divorced we both owned our own houses so we both agreed not to make a claim on the other (even though his was worth twice as much as mine, and he'd never paid a penny towards mine, and I'd paid 16 grand for an extension on his). I regret agreeing to that with hindsight but at the time I just wanted rid of the bastard.

Also, how long the marriage lasted for would be a key factor. If you'd been married 20 years and had kids and you put her on the mortgage, she'd probably get the house and would have to sell it and split the profit once the kids were 18. In my case, I left him after 4 months.

If she paid cash towards the mortgage she'd be entitled to be paid off, as SKI says. The same goes if she contributed capital towards the house, e.g if you built an extension and she helped pay for it. Or there are more unusual circumstances, e.g if there was an agreement between you and her whereby she contributed towards more bills/household running costs in consideration of you paying all of the mortgage.

In all cases she would have to be able to prove it but if she could she would be able to claim a share in the proceeds of sale, in proportion to her contribution.

Usually in this scenario the mortgage company will want the spouse to sign a form where they are to forfeit any legal rights that might arise by virtue their occupation in favour of the mortgage company.

This brings up a good debate for OWN or LEASE, really.

Paul Macartney is my subject

I note according to reports he paid 49million dollars to heather mills for 5 years or marriage? Assuming he got sex every night during their 5 year relationship (which lets be honest, probably didnt happen) it would end up costing him $26,849 per time.

Now, I also note, Elliot Spitzers call girl, Kristen, an absolute stunner with a body like no other, charges $4,000 an hour. For anything...

Had Paul McCartney 'employed' Kristen for 5 years, he would've paid $7.3 million for an hour of sex every night for 5 years (a saving of $41.7 million).

Value-added benefits are: a 22 year old hot babe, no begging, no coaxing, never a headache, plays all requests, ability to put BOTH legs around you (!!!), no bitching and complaining or 'to do' lists. Best of all, she leaves when you're done, and comes back when you ask her. All at 1/7th the cost, with no legal fees

I note according to reports he paid 49million dollars to heather mills for 5 years or marriage? Assuming he got sex every night during their 5 year relationship (which lets be honest, probably didnt happen) it would end up costing him $26,849 per time.

Now, I also note, Elliot Spitzers call girl, Kristen, an absolute stunner with a body like no other, charges $4,000 an hour. For anything...

Had Paul McCartney 'employed' Kristen for 5 years, he would've paid $7.3 million for an hour of sex every night for 5 years (a saving of $41.7 million).

Value-added benefits are: a 22 year old hot babe, no begging, no coaxing, never a headache, plays all requests, ability to put BOTH legs around you (!!!), no bitching and complaining or 'to do' lists. Best of all, she leaves when you're done, and comes back when you ask her. All at 1/7th the cost, with no legal fees

I want to rep you so bad.

Excellent.

that's ace, great way to put it:idea:repped

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

$26,849 to get a leg over?

You think the settlement would have been double had she not been sans left peg?

I want to rep you so bad.

Excellent.

:D

that's ace, great way to put it:idea:repped

:D

$26,849 to get a leg over?

You think the settlement would have been double had she not been sans left peg?

I reckon, had she had two legs... The returns for the younger, hotter, two legged prozzie would be slightly less but you'd have to think that her settlement WOULD have decreased.

They would have been like, "Well... Macca was shagging the former model with TWO legs. I wonder what she wanted? Fuck her! No Money for you!"

However, the pity factor, "BUT I HAVE ONLY ONE LEG(and a stub)!!" MUST have factored into the settlement.

if i was to buy a house and get the mortgage in my name only and then got married, what would happen if she divorced me if;

A) she paid me some cash towards the mortgage?

b) she didn't pay towards mortgage?

If you stay unmarried all the answers given above are perfectly valid. There is no such legal notion as common law wife. So the property will be presumed to be yours unless she can show a contrary indication and in most cases either direct (mortgage/deposit) or some indirect (I pay the bills so you can pay the mortgage) payments.

Marriage changes everything. The concepts of yours and mine get blurred into ours. That changes again significantly if children arrive. Divorce legislation looks at a 'fair' division of 'joint' assets applying the the principles of equality, need and contributions.

So the short answer is yes she could make a claim on the house as a wife/ex wife but much more difficult for her to do it as a girlfriend/cohabitee. How much she would get in respect of the former would depend on the circumstances as at separation.

Britain needs to fix that, sharpish.

You can use it as evidence of the agreement and ask the court to take account of it and I've seen recent evidence that they will, to an extent, but they will not follow it slavishly.

I should say that I don't have experience in big money cases where they are used so maybe it is different in that world.

The down side to them is you are trying to determine separation finances many years before hand. Plus kids tends to complicate the divvy up considerably.

Also - "Will you marry me - and if you will, sign here"