You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you do anything differently to take into account the threat?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do anything differently to take into account the threat?

As above. We bring everyone back for corners but not for throw-ins. You are deciding if that still applies.

I don't have the tape to be able to determine how they setup to know what is the right way to counter. You'll need to be more specific if you want a more specific answer. And let's face it if you want precise setup, I'll also need to know.

1/ Are we chasing the game or closing it out?

2/ What time in the game is it?

3/ Do I have players that can counter attack on the field?

4/ How many players have they left back?

5/ Is their goalie in our box?

6/ etc

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the tape to be able to determine how they setup to know what is the right way to counter. You'll need to be more specific if you want a more specific answer. And let's face it if you want precise setup, I'll also need to know.

1/ Are we chasing the game or closing it out?

2/ What time in the game is it?

3/ Do I have players that can counter attack on the field?

4/ How many players have they left back?

5/ Is their goalie in our box?

6/ etc

What?

It's before kick off. We're talking run-up to the game, tactics, selection.

Yes, Andrew I do.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
What?

It's before kick off. We're talking run-up to the game, tactics, selection.

Yes, Andrew I do.

Unless the thow is within 10 yards of the corner flag, in which case you would defend it like a corner/freekick in the same area.

But seems as they have had most joy from deep throw in's I would defend as such.

Completely clear the 6 yard box, regardless of what the opposition do, obviously this does not include area outside of the six yard box on the near side, as you would leave yourself open to a near post flick on.

I would have my back 4 defending more or less zonally and my two least offensive midfielders picking up any runners.

The key to this is leaving the 6 yard box free of traffic for the keeper to come and attack the ball.

The keeper who would station himself not far from his furthest post (In order to build up a decent run up AND not having his having to go backwards with little control if it is thrown towards/past the far post)

With none of your own players to get in the way, any obstruction of the keeper would therefore be a foul.

Any keeper worth his salt (which excludes me, obviously) would fancy himself in this situation.

Unless the thow is within 10 yards of the corner flag, in which case you would defend it like a corner/freekick in the same area.

But seems as they have had most joy from deep throw in's I would defend as such.

Completely clear the 6 yard box, regardless of what the opposition do, obviously this does not include area outside of the six yard box on the near side, as you would leave yourself open to a near post flick on.

I would have my back 4 defending more or less zonally and my two least offensive midfielders picking up any runners.

The key to this is leaving the 6 yard box free of traffic for the keeper to come and attack the ball.

The keeper who would station himself not far from his furthest post (In order to build up a decent run up AND not having his having to go backwards with little control if it is thrown towards/past the far post)

With none of your own players to get in the way, any obstruction of the keeper would therefore be a foul.

Any keeper worth his salt (which excludes me, obviously) would fancy himself in this situation.

And what if Rob Styles is the ref :eek:

I would address these things during the teamtalk before the match but not give it much thought at all during the weekend.

I would tell the players to give a corner instead of a throw in though as the throw ins are far more accurate if they had the option.

I would address these things during the teamtalk before the match but not give it much thought at all during the weekend.

I would tell the players to give a corner instead of a throw in though as the throw ins are far more accurate if they had the option.

Surely, if you've got something valuable to say you want to say it early and often.

Surely, if you've got something valuable to say you want to say it early and often.

In a match against Stoke at home I will know they will park the bus with 99% certainty, I would concentrate on how we should break them down and if they get the odd throw in we would have the weapons to deal with it since we have the best header of the ball in the league in our team and since he is an attacking option as well he would be in my starting line up in all such matches at home since we probably would get a lot of corners and free kicks around the box.

But I would not use much time on the 4-5 throw in they would get maximum during the match in a dangerous area.

While Stoke maybe perceived as an 'easier' game, they're still a top flight club with capable players and professional.

I'd say on that basis you have to analyse all threats and have a game plan. Same as if it was Histon, Morecambe or any other side. I wouldn't make wholesale personnel changes or formation changes. But look to instruct players where to or not try concede throw ins, as Uem says on plays and and maybe beef up the aerial presence, i.e play Sami

I haven't read the replies to the question yet, but I answered 'yes'. Of course I would tell my players of what I knew about the opposition. If I knew they had a potential offensive weapon that we normally don't have to deal with, I would at least tell them of my findings and tell them to pay attention to who takes the throw in and make sure they mark their men as suited. Even Kinnear and Harry would do that.

Move the advertising boards so close to the pitch that they can't get a good run up. that way he won;t even reach the 18yd line

That's what I was referring to in my first post. Newcastle tried it the other week and by all accounts Delap's throw-ins weren't as dangerous as usual.

Every time we play Bolton away (I'm not sure if it's the same for the home games) the general consensus on here is "I'd play Sami because...." even if Agger or Skrtel have been playing brilliantly at centre back.

At Anfield I'd play Agger (if on form) for his ball-playing skills all the time. In fact, I'd almost say Mascherano is wasted in a lot of home games.

So to answer the question, no, fuck them. Attack attack attack etc

Every time we play Bolton away (I'm not sure if it's the same for the home games) the general consensus on here is "I'd play Sami because...." even if Agger or Skrtel have been playing brilliantly at centre back.

At Anfield I'd play Agger (if on form) for his ball-playing skills all the time. In fact, I'd almost say Mascherano is wasted in a lot of home games.

So to answer the question, no, fuck them. Attack attack attack etc

On the other hand you could always make an argument for using Hyypia because he is a danger from set pieces and most likely that will be our best chance to score against a packed defense since we usually struggle to break these teams down at Anfied.

Edit- I thought this was the Bolton thread and I want Hyypia to play.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ayes have it

Lucas was on the subs’ bench when Stoke snatched a draw at Anfield earlier in the season. Rory Delap’s long throw-ins were conspicuous by their absence that day, but Lucas admitted the Reds had already been preparing in training for another aerial bombardment this weekend.

“I know we had a difficult game against them at Anfield – a very physical game,” he added.

“We know they are a physical team to play against and they have a real threat from long throw-ins, which is always dangerous.

“During the training sessions we have been working at defending from long throw-ins so we have to be ready.

We practise defending against long throw in says lucas

Ask our fullback to stand right in front of him on the line when he's taking the throw in.

That's what I'd do. Haven't seen many teams try it this season though.

I would also pick centre backs who are good in the air (Hyypia and Carragher) and defend the throws as if they were a corner, although I would like to see us leave 1 player upfield (would like to see this at corners as well though).