You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With reference to Goldmember's post - it's curious that this story and the Xabi wanting to stay story surface at the same time. If the reports on the Barry bid are true, I wonder if Xabi knows he's going, and wants the fans to think he's being pushed out, regardless of whether it's his own choice or not.

Thats the feeling im getting, i like Xabi but i think he knows he's going so he got his story in the papers first, maybe so interested clubs don't think were desperate to sell?

Thats the feeling im getting, i like Xabi but i think he knows he's going so he got his story in the papers first, maybe so interested clubs don't think were desperate to sell?

Or maybe Xabi want his new born baby boy to grow up in the country hes going to return once Liverpool sell him. Would you want him to have maybe 3 of 4 years at most in England and then go to Spain where he would have a whole culture change. i think Xabi is content with life here but his missus doesnt like it (so ive heard), and he has a child to think about.

Basically what I was saying on the 'Next Season' thread. These 'shopping lists' people have been coming out with are ludicrous.

Big time. A long, bitter, painful summer of uncertainty, false rumours and disappointment ahead I fear.

And that's probably being optimistic.

Or maybe Xabi want his new born baby boy to grow up in the country hes going to return once Liverpool sell him. Would you want him to have maybe 3 of 4 years at most in England and then go to Spain where he would have a whole culture change. i think Xabi is content with life here but his missus doesnt like it (so ive heard), and he has a child to think about.

I dont know, although your signature is very true!

I think he's a decent player who'd fit into our system well. Whether he's the right player for us will not be clear until we actually sign him and then see how Rafa intends to use him.

Is he bollocks. It's him who has made it public. Does he really think we'd leak it to the local paper to unsettle Villa ahead of their game?

Is he blaming Birmingham's local paper for printing the story too?

There is no gain for us to 'unsettle' Villa. But the fact that the news broke in Liverpool's local newspaper has clearly annoyed him.

As I said, we have got annoyed plenty of times with these kind of rumours about Gerrard before a big game so O'Neill has a point.

There is no gain for us to 'unsettle' Villa. But the fact that the news broke in Liverpool's local newspaper has clearly annoyed him.

As I said, we have got annoyed plenty of times with these kind of rumours about Gerrard before a big game so O'Neill has a point.

There's a difference between being annoyed at the media for picking up on a story, including his local paper, and publically lambasting us for it.

He's an emotional idiot, and it probably hasn't hit him yet that all his ranting will just unsettle the team even more.

The story in the Echo was different from the Birmigham one, which included Crouch as part of the deal, so you have to ask who is leaking what to who?

I agree with Carra. I can understand why O'Neill would be annoyed. Look at the thread that started on here when Grant was praising Gerrard before the Semi, and referred to him not being his player. That wasn't in the same ballpark as this, but people were quick to condemn Grant.

i dont like this at all, i dont even rate Barry and we don't even need him if Alonso is staying

if Alonso is leaving I would rather sign someone from Spain

Lucas is not a prospect, he's already played some big games and done well and he cost £8m, so he should play

English and over 24, Rafa really has given a big 'fuck off' to your policy hasn't he!!!

Ive said it before but i think Barry would be a good signing and will offer plenty to the team.

He would add balance to the left side instantly as if you had him on the left centre and Mascherano right centre then for me that is a good balance.

You have the added extra that Babel would not need to worry about tracking back as much as he would have the insurance of Barry been able to help out that side.

Barry delivers a very good cross and its no surprise that Villa have scored so many goals from set pieces.

Im a big fan of Lucas and i think the lad will come good next season as he has already showed his quality but there is no way Plessis will be ready.

This player exchange stuff from Martin O' Neill's press conference today reeks of us not having actual cash available to fund the deal.

Same old bullshit. Thanks Rick, David, George and Tom. Fuckwits.

Surely it's the most sensible approach?

If we want one of their players and they want a few of ours (that are presumably surplus to requirements)why would you offer straight cash for a player?

I agree with Carra. I can understand why O'Neill would be annoyed. Look at the thread that started on here when Grant was praising Gerrard before the Semi, and referred to him not being his player. That wasn't in the same ballpark as this, but people were quick to condemn Grant.

But noone from the club has said anything about Barry, have they? Of course, Barrett would have got the info from someone within the club, so I suppose it has been leaked deliberately. But the fact that the Birmingham equivalent of the Echo has also run with the story, but with a deifferent fee structure, suggests Villa have been feeding information themselves.

There's a difference between being annoyed at the media for picking up on a story, including his local paper, and publically lambasting us for it.

He's an emotional idiot, and it probably hasn't hit him yet that all his ranting will just unsettle the team even more.

The story in the Echo was different from the Birmigham one, which included Crouch as part of the deal, so you have to ask who is leaking what to who?

Echo printed it first. Then the Birmingham mail did. Presumably the Brummie mail asked O'Neill about it and he gave them an answer and they then printed the article.

Mate, I don't give a fuck whether Villa gets into Europe or not (although if they do, that will piss our neighbours which is jolly good). You said O'Neill is moaning. I said he has a point since they have 2 big games coming up. I'm sure Rafa would have moaned about it if there was a Gerrard rumour when we are chasing for the 4th place with 2 games to go.