You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

Surely it's the most sensible approach?

If we want one of their players and they want a few of ours (that are presumably surplus to requirements)why would you offer straight cash for a player?

If Rafa wants him that badly, £10m should be made instantly available. It shouldn't be a huge sum for a club of our stature.

Offering Scott Carson, a fridge and an almost completed Panini Football '91 album will only slow down the process and allow other clubs to get involved.

Pennant, Carson and Riise (for example) are all pretty good assets to be selling anyway, a few mid-table clubs should be interested in each which would also boost their value.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Barry would be a great signing, anybody thinking its too much is daft hes proven in the premiership and from what ive seen he looks quality...

Also I dont think Rafa is stupid and maybe the other story regarding Mancini maybe very true rather than spunk £15 million on him it will be closer to £5 because of Mancini being able to buy out his contract so theres the extra cash, it could work out like this Barry & Mancini for £15 million..... great deal IF (big IF) it all goes through, lets just hope its not down to that useless cunt Rick Parry.

Guest PaddyBerger15
For bit players from our squad? Sign him up!

Now, let's steal Pogrebnyak from Zenit to replace Crouch on the bench.

If we are going shopping at Zenit again, we need to be coming home with Anyukov and/or Arshavin.

If Rafa wants him that badly, £10m should be made instantly available. It shouldn't be a huge sum for a club of our stature.

What a ridiculous approach.

You have two, hypothetical, choices would you prefer

Scenario A - You negotiate a player swap and sign two 20 million pound players + Gareth Barry

Scenario B - You don't negotiate and sign Barry for 10 million, another player for 10 million and another for 20 million.

Which do you go for, the one that makes sense to the club or the one that looks good to people on the outside?

i think the one thing people may be missing is the corrolary with the sissoko situation. we all kind of shook our heads when rafa brought in lucas and wondered how he would find playing time. 4 months later the pecking order was established, and momo was off in january.

we've got masch and lucas away for the olympics, we've got xabi at the euros and we all know that those summer tournaments beat the crap out of players. that leaves gerrard as our only real fit central midfielder for the start of the season to go along with the kids.

so rafa decides on a versatile player who can easily slot into central midfield for the beginning of the season in the prem. by the time the champs league games start everyone is back from where they are and hopefully fit and then the best team picks itself. the odd man out can easily be sold in january if need be.

anyone who says we can trust spearing or plessis for any run of premiership games is deluded. they aren't experienced enough yet. next season they get cup games to showcase themselves and earn a first team spot and if they achieve that its just another summer where we've got too much quality in central midfield. hardly a pressing problem.

all the above assumes xabi is staying. if he's leaving then i can see us adding a foreign cm player that obviously adheres to the policy.

If we are going shopping at Zenit again, we need to be coming home with Anyukov and/or Arshavin.

Well... We could do with Fayzulin as well.

However, I really feel that Pogrebnyak is the gem there. 6'4", strong, fast, good first touch, smart movement, and clinical.

His goal scoring record is also one every two matches which is pretty good for a striker of 24yrs.

What a ridiculous approach.

?

So, just to clarify, it's ridiculous that a Liverpool manager should have access to relatively modest sums of money to buy players at opportune times? For example, while Chelsea, who are also linked, have more pressing concerns on their hands?

I'd rather see us looking at some of their policy players: Básêl Abdulfáttákh, Pavêl Šêrgêrov or Dyêgyo Quažveštkova.

Whooahaohah, we've got the best midfield in the world,

Básêl Abdulfáttákh, Pavêl Šêrgêrov Ignátovich,

Gerrard and Dyêgyo Quažveštkova-oooooah!

Catchy!

if he's leaving then i can see us adding a foreign cm player that obviously adheres to the policy.

First Rule of The Policy.

You do not talk about The Policy.

Also when did we start selling players based on their usefulness as kitchen appliances?

I see you don't follow lot of football, mate.

(all of them are storming full-backs)

Whooahaohah, we've got the best fullbacks in the world,

Básêl Abdulfáttákh, Pavêl Šêrgêrov Ignátovich,

Finnan and Dyêgyo Quažveštkova-oooooah!

So, just to clarify, it's ridiculous that a Liverpool manager should have access to relatively modest sums of money to buy players at opportune times? For example, while Chelsea, who are also linked, have more pressing concerns on their hands?

No, it's ridiculous that we have screaming hysterical fuckwits whining and panicking because we've dared to suggest a player swap and not just paid the first figure Villa ask.

Well... We could do with Fayzulin as well.

However, I really feel that Pogrebnyak is the gem there. 6'4", strong, fast, good first touch, smart movement, and clinical.

His goal scoring record is also one every two matches which is pretty good for a striker of 24yrs.

Bit of a journeyman (new club EVERY YEAR so far in his career) hence will defo not happy to be on the bench.

If I can pick one player from Zenit, it must be Arshavin. He'll complement Torres very well.

the priorities are always wrong

whenever we need a winger we seem to sign defenders and CMs, if the club and Rafa started treating the right and left with such focus as we do CM and CB then maybe we'd get somewhere in the league

FFS why don't you wait until the end of the transfer window before you start whining ?? Maybe we should splash all our cash on some untried wonderkid just to make the quaresma lovers out there happy? Have a little patience you are starting to sound like a Sky generation fan!

haha are you kidding? might as well sell Lucas as he'd get NO games

ridiculous

Lucas has played some big games and cost £8m, he should be regarded as near a first team place and if i was picking the team and had all those players available he would play ahead of Barry and Alonso

Do you watch the games? Lucas is far too inconsistent yet to be considered a first team regular yet oh and remind me how many goals he's scored? Don't get me wrong I think he has the potential but maybe not yet.