You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry is a good player (actually better than good for Villa), but CM is our strongest area (if we retain Alonso) and i have to admit i would have thought an attacking full back or quality winger would have been our priority this summer.

Not being the number one player he's interested in does not mean that he isn't interested in them at all.

10m for a player who can play the following positions to a good level:

Left back

Right back

Defensive midfielder

Box to Box

Attacking midfielder

Left midfield

Right midfield

It's called versatility. He isn't as good as Gerrard in those positions, who is? He can play them all to a good standard, and to a better standard than some of the fellas who are already in the first team.

If anyone thinks Barry is to be signed to do one specific job, I ask "do you not ever learn?"

Guest The Chimp

"Ah, so Rafa's just said it for a laugh? I may try and gazump him, I'll call the Echo in a bit to announce my 13 million pound bid. That'll smoke out his true intentions and put Rebel's mind at rest."

Not for a laugh at all. He wants the player, he senses other interest so that all makes sense to bid now. What it will also show is how things will transpire with all the other signings and if there is actually funds available. He'll surely get a clear idea from this deal the way the summer spending will go, and if the money he's been promised does not materialise, then surely any overtures from abroad will be more attractive to him, knowing his hands are being tied in the transfer market.

Edit: If that article is correct and they're valuing Barry at 14 and Crouch at 6, it really is a bit of a piss take.

Crouch plus £8 million?! I don't fucking think so. Straight swap at best, maybe.

There'll be a bit of negotiating about the price and we'll probably get Barry for the price we want. Villa will not want to be seen to losing their best player willingly, it'd piss the fans off.

I haven't read this whole thread but has someone explained why we need him, he's a good enough player but so are Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas and Gerrard. Im assuming he would be playing in the middle if we got him so is someone leaving or are we just going to have to many CM like we did at the start of the season. Alonso just came out and said he wasn't leaving either and he would be the most likely candidate.

Crouch plus £8 million?! I don't fucking think so. Straight swap at best, maybe.

The news story is aimed at the Brummies so a bit of placating may be going on but I still think we'd have to give them a couple of mil plus Crouch because he's only got one year left.I doubt we'd get £10m for him in a straight sale.

Well considering carrick and hargreaves were sold for £18m each, i guess £14m is a fair reflection on his value. Whether we agree or not with the deal it looks like it's gonna happen. He's a tidy player that can play in various positions if desperate. But like i said personally i'd have gone for diego and pushed gerrard into midfield. But barry has played well for villa and england this season so i think he'll be a good signing.

Ok first off it's really hard to even know what you're saying because i'm too busy looking at your avatar :drool:.

But yeah we do need a striker but the problem is, what striker is gonna come here knowing he's gonna be on the bench as we only play the one up front? It's more important that we have two wide men who are going to chip in with 10+ goals a season.

When that one gets injured, we are fucked.

We need someone to play in the position Gerrard is playing currently. Someone who can play off Torres and also capable of scoring a few.

Is Dalglish available?

The news story is aimed at the Brummies so a bit of placating may be going on but I still think we'd have to give them a couple of mil plus Crouch because he's only got one year left.I doubt we'd get £10m for him in a straight sale.

Yep.

I haven't read this whole thread but has someone explained why we need him, he's a good enough player but so are Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas and Gerrard. Im assuming he would be playing in the middle if we got him so is someone leaving or are we just going to have to many CM like we did at the start of the season. Alonso just came out and said he wasn't leaving either and he would be the most likely candidate.

Because Alonso (probably) and Riise (definitely) are going. That alonso quote is the sort of thing you see every transfer window from every player who is asked if he's leaving his club.

When that one gets injured, we are fucked.

We need someone to play in the position Gerrard is playing currently. Someone who can play off Torres and also capable of scoring a few.

Is Dalglish available?

We do have someone, and his name is Babel.

barry is a good athlete with a good engine. Has a very good left foot, plays well with Stevie. Knows the premiership inside out. Can also play in a few positions. I dont see the problem. We are allowed to sign english players from other premier league clubs. Hasnt played left back in years but i would have him there ahead of 2 Riises. But more importantly, if Rafa wants him then we have to back him.

Will be gutted if we loose Crouchie though, but couldnt really blame him for leaving now.

Crouch is on his last year of his contract which means his value has dropped BIG TIME. How many english midfielders that have regular internationals do you see going for £8m? It's not like he's on the last year of his contract or anything.

Same old story every fucking summer.

Do you wanna just come out and make your point mate because snidey comments aren't doing anything for ya.

Gerrard should stay in the position he's curently playing, sitting just behind Torres in a free role and linking up with him. Barry can then either sit next to Macherano, play at left back or even at left mid if we need him to; and, as someone's already said, he can do a job in any of those positions better than most the players we currently have. It'll be a good buy if it comes off.

If we get Barry, I might put money on Gerrard for player of the year. Gerrard will love playing with him, I have a feeling that he'll try his hardest to impress one of his best mates even more.

Good point. Barry also strikes me as a player with the mentality to step up when gerrard is going through one of his bad patches. We need more leaders in our team - we can't always look to carra and Gerrard to carry us through the big contests.