You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we still have a finite amount of resources and that any money raised from selling players is part of that, but is he going to cost us ten million? By that I mean, would it be "only" two or three with Carson going the other way.

yup, that is an excellent point. I am sure they will try and talk the price up so as not to piss off their fans but I can't see us paying £10M for him.
It is indeed and it only took four pages before someone mentioned it.

To suggest Lucas is ready is madness to me, Plessis couldn't offer a full Prem season either.

if he's ready to start against Inter Milan, Chelsea etc. he's ready to play consistantly for us and he cost £7-8m, for gods sake...

we've also bought Mash and have Gerrard, we dont need more CM's we've spent LOADS on that area already.

No offense to Dirk, but could one of the people who would like this transfer to happen tell me where is the logic in spending 10 million pounds of our presumably tight budget on a 4th choice centre midfielder, when Dirk Kuyt is our 1st choice right winger.

Again completely agree.

You'd think this was the only signing we we're going to make. I'm sure the rest will be made up of exotic sounding foreigners who we've never seen play.

He won't be our only signing, but it does say that he is our number one transfer target, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I agree that our priorities are fucking off but what can we do? Lucas and Mascherano going to miss games for the Olympics, I hear.

We just need enough money in the piggy bank for striker/wing option/fullback(s)

that depends on whether Xabi is staying, if he is we can cope for a couple of games if not then i'd still just sign someone from Spain who's cheaper and potentially better

Guest The Chimp

We might already have the wing situation sorted out though. We just don't know what Rafa has arranged or who he has earmarked for sales and to come in. I'm fairly confident if we can all see the need for a bit of pace and width then so can the boss.

if he's ready to start against Inter Milan, Chelsea etc. he's ready to play consistantly for us and he cost £7-8m, for gods sake...

we've also bought Mash and have Gerrard, we dont need more CM's we've spent LOADS on that area already.

5.5m he cost. Down rising after years and appearances.

With the Olympics, he and the Chief will miss games, leaving Gerrard and Plessis, if Xabi leaves.

Sometimes I just think people just crave flashy, Nike advert style foreigners.

If they were right for us and the team, he'd sign them. As people to represent the Club and players; surely that's paramount?

I trust him. Funnily enough.

Did I dream it or did I read somewhere that Villa don't want to pay the going rate for Carson?

I can honestly see Rafa bringing Barry in as a left back. Think of his defensive abilities in terms of giving Babel a regular starting place in front of Barry. Riise behind Babel is just laughable recently. Riise to Villa in a part ex for Barry.

Oh, and those people in this thread who are slating Barry's defensive abilities haven't a fucking clue.

I'd be well happy with this signing.

We have 2 midfielders going to the Olympics, the fee being quoted is around £10 million but we could throw in Carson, maybe Riise and get that down a fair bit, meaning we sign one of Englands best midfielders for very little money and without weakening other areas of the team.

People talking about De La Red and Martinez are clearly more impressed with a foreign sounding name than actual performances. Barry has been a proven PL player for almost 10 seasons now and in the last few seasons hes become one of Englands most consistent players.

For a lot of games we play do we really need 2 holding midfielders none of whom offer very much offensively? People need to stop talking about Alonso as if hes been playing to his potential because he hasn't been for 18 months, yes at the top of his game hes a better player than Barry but what does that matter if your hardly ever at the top of your game? Certainly offensively Barry offers more than Alonso.

I think people aren't excited about this type of signing because its a player we see week after week in the PL and for England but i think he'd be a great signing. Very versatile, good quality on the ball and a proven performer in this league think him and Mascherano is a very well balanced central midfield.

Did I dream it or did I read somewhere that Villa don't want to pay the going rate for Carson?

I can honestly see Rafa bringing Barry in as a left back. Think of his defensive abilities in terms of giving Babel a regular starting place in front of Barry. Riise behind Babel is just laughable recently. Riise to Villa in a part ex for Barry.

Oh, and those people in this thread who are slating Barry's defensive abilities haven't a fucking clue.

I'd be well happy with this signing.

He won't be playing LB if he comes here. That much is obvious.