You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

Ambition, what's that supposed to mean? Was it lack of ambition when we didn't have the funds to get Alves f.ex? Or Simao? Rafa has all the ambition in the world, but only one club in the world has unlimited resouces to match the ambition.

Yeah buying Barry, Pennant, Benayoun or Degen are very ambitious moves aren't they?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i can't see barry not coming, it's just a case of agreeing a price. I can handle that as long as he still brings in a quality right sided wide player who will play ahead of kuyt. If all he does is buy barry and then fullbacks i'll be pissed. We badly need someone creative on the right hand side of midfield

Striker....we need a striker too. Especially when Crouch leaves.

the transfer window doesn't open until the end of the English season, add in a few weeks of customary Parry stalling and hopefully Arsene decides he's interested in Barry to replace Flamini and bids it up to a ridiculous level,

the transfer window doesn't open until the end of the English season, add in a few weeks of customary Parry stalling and hopefully Arsene decides he's interested in Barry to replace Flamini and bids it up to a ridiculous level,

Would you be happy if we sign Flimini?

He is spanish :whistle:

I'm fine with signing Barry so long as other, more needy, areas of the team are looked at. Barry makes sense if one of the other midfielders is off. He has been playing really well for a couple of seasons. I see him playing alongside Mascher, but bursting forward a bit more than Xabi has done to support the attack.

Not a bad signing at all; nor one to really set the pulse racing given the information we know today.

As ever, we need to see all the signings (in/out) we make this summer before we judge whether we need Barry or not. If we fail to sign a top wide player then whatever money Barry cost might be called into question. then again, Barry could be coming in for peanuts if unwanted/unused players (e.g. Crouch and Carson) are going in the opposite direction.

I shall refuse to make snap judgements on all this until we see the whole picture, but as things stand, Barry is a very competent Prem player and wouldn't be out of place here.

Guest The Chimp

Maybe Rafa's put in an early bid to see what the Summer will actually bring then Rebel? If he sees he's not going to get any funds and that he'll have to go cap in hand to Parry, who knows maybe any overtures from abroad maybe too hard for him to turn down. Maybe this is the first hand in a long game of poker over the next few weeks.

* slopes off to watch the X Files muttering about conspiracies*

Striker....we need a striker too. Especially when Crouch leaves.

Ok first off it's really hard to even know what you're saying because i'm too busy looking at your avatar :drool:.

But yeah we do need a striker but the problem is, what striker is gonna come here knowing he's gonna be on the bench as we only play the one up front? It's more important that we have two wide men who are going to chip in with 10+ goals a season.

No one English or Dutch (!) allowed. Must be below a certain age, with upside potential, and probably a high scoring letter from Scrabble in either the forename or surname, but preferably both. Usually from La Liga, but must not be "exposed". I think that's about it.

Thanks, Mississippi Man!

So Yasuhito Morishima, Łukasz Janoszka, Chukwuma Akabueze, Przemysław Tytoń, Marek Střeštík and Zlatko Junuzovic are all policy players?

The whole thing is confusing the fuck out of me. We have two owners who don't talk to each other, one wants to sell to DIC, the other one wants to buy out the 1st one, DIC won't get involved until this is sorted, the cunt wants the other cunt (Parry) to be sacked, the little cunt won't support that and Moores is still counting the 88m for 88th time.

In the middle of all these, we submit a £10m bid for Barry.

Are they talking now? Have they agreed on the way forward? What if DIC come in this summer and pump money so we can buy £20m players instead of a £10m Barry. If the cunts haven't agreed on the way forward from now on, why did Gillett, Parry and Moores authorise £10m for Barry? Especially if Hicks wants to use this to enhance his PR image.

Fuckin' hell this just gets worse. 8m plus Crouch. :wallbutt:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Crouch set to return to Aston Villa in £14m Gareth Barry deal

May 2 2008 By Bill Howell

GARETH Barry has moved a significant step closer to joining Liverpool this summer with Martin O'Neill set to take Peter Crouch in part-exchange. Barry is expected to join the Reds in a deal worth around £14million with Crouch and £8million coming Villa's way.

There were reports on Merseyside today that Liverpool have formally made a £10 million bid – but O'Neill values the player significantly higher.

Dialogue between the clubs is understood to have reached an advanced stage with an agreement close.

Despite a keenness to hang on to his influential skipper, O'Neill has already sounded out Chelsea's Steve Sidwell as a cut-price replacement.

Barry's recent words that he now has to be "selfish" in his pursuit of footballing honours told O'Neill that any hopes he has of getting him to sign a contract extension are fruitless.

It means Barry will almost certainly be waving goodbye to the Villa Park faithful after tomorrow's game against Wigan.

Crouch's return to the Midlands will soften the blow of losing such a key cog in Villa's machine.

He was signed by Graham Taylor for £5million in March 2002 but struggled to hold down a place under David O'Leary, who loaned him to Norwich City and then sold him to Southampton for £2million.

Crouch scored just six goals in 37 Premiership games for Villa and is now an England regular.

Peter Crouch set to return to Aston Villa in £14m Gareth Barry deal - Birmingham Mail

Maybe Rafa's put in an early bid to see what the Summer will actually bring then Rebel? If he sees he's not going to get any funds and that he'll have to go cap in hand to Parry, who knows maybe any overtures from abroad maybe too hard for him to turn down. Maybe this is the first hand in a long game of poker over the next few weeks.

* slopes off to watch the X Files muttering about conspiracies*

Ah, so Rafa's just said it for a laugh? I may try and gazump him, I'll call the Echo in a bit to announce my 13 million pound bid. That'll smoke out his true intentions and put Rebel's mind at rest.

Peter Crouch set to return to Aston Villa in £14m Gareth Barry deal

GARETH Barry has moved a significant step closer to joining Liverpool this summer with Martin O'Neill set to take Peter Crouch in part-exchange. Barry is expected to join the Reds in a deal worth around £14million with Crouch and £8million coming Villa's way.

There were reports on Merseyside today that Liverpool have formally made a £10 million bid – but O'Neill values the player significantly higher.

Dialogue between the clubs is understood to have reached an advanced stage with an agreement close.

Despite a keenness to hang on to his influential skipper, O'Neill has already sounded out Chelsea's Steve Sidwell as a cut-price replacement.

Barry's recent words that he now has to be "selfish" in his pursuit of footballing honours told O'Neill that any hopes he has of getting him to sign a contract extension are fruitless.

It means Barry will almost certainly be waving goodbye to the Villa Park faithful after tomorrow's game against Wigan.

Crouch's return to the Midlands will soften the blow of losing such a key cog in Villa's machine.

He was signed by Graham Taylor for £5million in March 2002 but struggled to hold down a place under David O'Leary, who loaned him to Norwich City and then sold him to Southampton for £2million.

Crouch scored just six goals in 37 Premiership games for Villa and is now an England regular.

Peter Crouch set to return to Aston Villa in £14m Gareth Barry deal - Birmingham Mail

With reference to Goldmember's post - it's curious that this story and the Xabi wanting to stay story surface at the same time. If the reports on the Barry bid are true, I wonder if Xabi knows he's going, and wants the fans to think he's being pushed out, regardless of whether it's his own choice or not.

Barry is a good player (actually better than good for Villa), but CM is our strongest area (if we retain Alonso) and i have to admit i would have thought an attacking full back or quality winger would have been our priority this summer.

Strange that Carson wasn't part of any deal. I don't think O'Neil rates him anymore and we'll have to try and sell him to someone else.

Why did he have to make that fuck up againast Croatia, his stock was huge then.