You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Just now, Curly said:

Say no more.

Yeah, some of the violence bits were a bit like an old cowie or a Hollywood film at times once Netflix got their grubby little mitts on it.

Love

That Irish birds tits were a massive let down and all ya get me 

• Haha 1

Elvis - despite not being a fan of his I really enjoyed this film. Great performance by Hanks and an even better one by Austin Butler who I hadn't heard of before. Elvis' life was clearly a full time circus and they captured this very well. 8.5/10

• Upvote 3

Street of Shame - Japanese drama about a group of prostitutes after the US Occupation. Not bad.

The Bullet Train - 70s Japanese thriller about a bomb threat on the bullet train. Brilliant stuff with boss action set pieces, an amazing train set for the sequences of trains hurtling towards peril, and Sonny Chiba. Ace.

The Most Dangerous Game - 70s Japanese thriller about a hitman who gets conned after a job, goes for revenge, and keeps telling girls he likes bigger tits. Fantastic.

• Upvote 2

On 17/01/2024 at 16:05, elvis said:

The Holdovers , Paul Giamatti is excellent as always 

Good stuff 8.5/10

Loved that. I'd give it 8.5/10 as well.

Felt like one of those late 80's/early 90's coming of age movies. Not seen anything made like this for a long time. Great stuff.

Sunrise - 1/10. An attempt to do something a bit different with the vampire myth that fails. Slow, bereft of any proper narrative, and feels like a GCSE media studies project. Elements of High Plains Drifter, and competently acted, but just poor. Also features a bizarre jump in the sequence of events that leaves you feeling that they missed out an entire scene. Swerve.

17 hours ago, Anubis said:

Me, Scott and Lurtzy warned you all about Rebel Moon. We warned you.

Mrs HL fancied it. I told her about the shite reviews but she said she'll make her own mind up.

Unbeknown to me she'd fell asleep watching it, waking up when it ended, something I wish I had.

Shit that she said.

Cow.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Wanted Man - 5/10. Dolph Lungdren’s retirement age racist cop heads to Mexico to bring back two witnesses to the murder of some DEA agents. Standard trust nobody affair with a couple of average shootouts. Lungdren is far too old and out of shape for this stuff. Highlight is Christina Villa who is one of the witnesses.

Miss Villa one for under the radar thread.

image.jpeg

16 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Dream Scenario is really good. I do tend to like odd films and films with Nicolas Cage though and it's definitely both of them. 

Started well but ran out of steam I thought. A nice idea but didn't really go anywhere.

Kenji Mizoguchi's Ugetsu. Great film, this. Anyone who likes Kurosawa's pictures should check this and Sansho the Bailiff (not bailift, that's a totally different film) out.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Mook said:

Mulholland Drive

I've not seen this before. It's nearly as fucked up as Naomi Watts is amazing looking. It had me hooked though, 7.5/10.

If you like that you should try Lost Highway, which Lynch made four years before Mulholland Drive. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, johnsusername said:

If you like that you should try Lost Highway, which Lynch made four years before Mulholland Drive. 

9 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Or indeed his finest ever film, The Straight Story.

I'll have a look for these tonight, thanks.