You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

12 hours ago, johnsusername said:

If you like that you should try Lost Highway, which Lynch made four years before Mulholland Drive. 

9 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Or indeed his finest ever film, The Straight Story.

I'll have a look for these tonight, thanks.

Watched that Saltburn last night. Not really sure how I get about it or if I enjoyed it even. Mrs Curly liked it and gave it a 6.5 but I went for a 5.

Certainly a bit different and I’d recommend people to watch it even though I didn’t buzz off it if that makes sense?

9 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Or indeed his finest ever film, The Straight Story.

Except that The Straight Story doesn't really feel like a David Lynch film too much in comparison.

Mullholand Drive and Lost Highway you list as your favourite films when you are trying to get them to hire you as a film critic and want to look clever. Because you know that they didn't understand them either. Nobody does.

Moving road in the night to Bowie's I'm Deranged does look great though.

On 15/08/2021 at 00:38, Mudface said:

Calibre- 7/10. Grim, oppressive and nightmarish little melodrama about the aftermath of a disastrous hunting trip in the Highlands. It's about 20 minutes too long, but it's very effective and up there with a good Iain Banks story in the dread, horror and attitudes of city folk towards the impoverished villagers up north. I actually dreamt about this after watching it, and the moral quandaries thrown up are really well realised.

I’ve just watched this. Very moody film. 7/10 also 

Blame It On Rio

Proper 80s effort this where Michael Caine gets to rattle one of the fittest birds I've ever seen in my life (see below) with his Dennis Taylor specs on. Seriously hammy acting all round here. 5/10

img_0484.jpg

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Having watched Barbie, I can’t help but laugh at the irony of Gosling being nominated for an OSCAR while Robbie & Gerwig aren’t.

Seeing all the feminists kicking off on social media today about this is really making my day.

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Having watched Barbie, I can’t help but laugh at the irony of Gosling being nominated for an OSCAR while Robbie & Gerwig aren’t.

I suppose Best supporting actor is a lot lower in cache than Best actress and director categories. 

Wasn't particularly impressed with the film, and don't think Robbie or Gosling were anything special in it.

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

I suppose Best supporting actor is a lot lower in cache than Best actress and director categories. 

Wasn't particularly impressed with the film, and don't think Robbie or Gosling were anything special in it.

Sondra Haller should be a shoe in for Best Actress for her performance in Anatomy of a Fall, but she won't win; pesky foreign language speaking German sort.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Started watching some film called The Kitchen, which has Kano and Ian Wright in it. 

Lasted 10 mins and binned it off as it was dull.

First 10 mins - 4/10

Rest of film - Unknown

I think you're being generous tbh mate, it was absolutely shite / 10.

In the Heat of the Night 

Been years since I last watched it. Something's always bugged me though, and that's Quincy Jones' score. It got nominated for awards, but I don't think it fits the atmosphere at times. It's too light and jangly, like a playful comedy, meanwhile Tibbs is trying not to get lynched. 

Still a classic, mind.

Been rewatching 80s and 90s films from my childhood. Last one was The Fly.

Fuck me I wish I hadn't watched it. I'm a horror fan so am used to being disturbed, but jesus... first film I've seen in a long time which actually made me feel physically sick.

The first 20 odd minutes are quite dated and the script is clunky as fuck, but once the teleport machines kick in it just heads straight into Grossville.

6.5/10.

MV5BODcxMGMwOGEtMDUxMi00MzE5LTg4YTYtYjk1YjA4MzQxNTNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

17 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Been rewatching 80s and 90s films from my childhood. Last one was The Fly.

Fuck me I wish I hadn't watched it. I'm a horror fan so am used to being disturbed, but jesus... first film I've seen in a long time which actually made me feel physically sick.

The first 20 odd minutes are quite dated and the script is clunky as fuck, but once the teleport machines kick in it just heads straight into Grossville.

6.5/10.

MV5BODcxMGMwOGEtMDUxMi00MzE5LTg4YTYtYjk1YjA4MzQxNTNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

I've never got to the end if that film, far too minging for me.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

You mean a half man/half fly vomiting acid onto a fella's hand and leg and then eating his melted foot is minging? Cbeebies stuff that! 

The inside out baboon was just plain mean.