You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Incredibly a cast member of Angels With Dirty Faces is still alive at 97 years old! Marilyn Knowlden was around 8 or 9 years old at the time of filming. The Dead End Kids of the film tended not to have long lives though and divorces and alcoholism plagued a few of them and caused early deaths in middle age.

He's upstairs takin' a bath. He'll call you when he gets out.

Ex Machina

Never fancied this before but had nothing better to do last night so left it on.

What a boss movie. Great acting all round and thought provoking right upto the brilliantly depressing ending. 

8/10 way ahead of its time. Esp as our place are trying to get us to use AI as much as possible which im refusing to do because we know where this is ending up. 

p.s loved that dance scene 

On 29/08/2023 at 08:54, DalyanPete said:

I haven't Tony, but I've never seen Casablanca either! It is to do with the colour film as you mentioned but now I've done one I need to try more.

Casablanca’s brilliant. I only watched it for the first time myself last year and loved every minute of it.

Sky arts have put all the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies on. I was on long term sick last year and bought the box set and they’re a great watch. Highly recommend.

• Upvote 5

On 29/08/2023 at 21:56, Harry's Lad said:

They are unfortunately. 

There's a documentary called Laurel & Hardy, Their Lives and Magic I was watching a while back while my Grandson was staying.

He just didn’t get them at all and retreated into his Switch.

The Cagney films such as Angels and White Heat haven't aged well but are still must see films imo as they're absolute classics. 

Same with Bogart.

I know it may sound like I'm a weird hippy or something - when it comes to bringing up kids, it's quite easy to come across as odd when you diverge from the norm...

But anyway, I bought the full Laurel and Hardy collection when my kids were little.  We'd watch them together.  My kids thought they were brilliant, and still love them now.  When one of them discovered that there was "colourised" versions on the DVDs, they switched to that for a bit but the novelty soon wore off and they went back to the originals.

On Cagney, in the early 80s, when I was a kid, every Friday there was a gangster film on a Friday, around tea time.  I used to watch them before I went to cubs - Little Ceasar, White Heat... etc.  As a kid Edward G Robinson was my favourite actor!

I watched all of those classics.  When I watched Angels With Dirty Faces I think I was too upset to go to cubs.  The ending of that film will live with me forever.

Kids may find it a challenge.  The pacing is different, the acting style (especially dialogue delivery!) is very different, the fact that the Hays Code ensured there was no blood when someone got shot etc.  It will all seem a little odd.  But you can get past it.  I'd challenge any kid to watch the first 30 mins of White Heat or AWDF and not want to watch it to the end.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, razor said:

I know it may sound like I'm a weird hippy or something - when it comes to bringing up kids, it's quite easy to come across as odd when you diverge from the norm...

But anyway, I bought the full Laurel and Hardy collection when my kids were little.  We'd watch them together.  My kids thought they were brilliant, and still love them now.  When one of them discovered that there was "colourised" versions on the DVDs, they switched to that for a bit but the novelty soon wore off and they went back to the originals.

On Cagney, in the early 80s, when I was a kid, every Friday there was a gangster film on a Friday, around tea time.  I used to watch them before I went to cubs - Little Ceasar, White Heat... etc.  As a kid Edward G Robinson was my favourite actor!

I watched all of those classics.  When I watched Angels With Dirty Faces I think I was too upset to go to cubs.  The ending of that film will live with me forever.

Kids may find it a challenge.  The pacing is different, the acting style (especially dialogue delivery!) is very different, the fact that the Hays Code ensured there was no blood when someone got shot etc.  It will all seem a little odd.  But you can get past it.  I'd challenge any kid to watch the first 30 mins of White Heat or AWDF and not want to watch it to the end.

I'll never tire of Laurel & Hardy, they were the masters of their craft, silly yet absolutely charming and far superior to the likes of Abbott & Costello or The Three Stooges.

The films you mention are all classics that I've seen countless times and will enjoy watching again. I'm 60 but imho they must seem very antiquated to younger audiences, my lad for example is 38 and he wouldn't entertain them and kids just see an old black and white film which in my experience they won't watch, which is sad because they're missing out.

1 hour ago, razor said:

My grandmother used to mind us when our parents worked lates and she’d let us stay up late if we got an early bath and settle down early. 

This was her favourite film and that ending left me traumatised. 1st experience of heartbreak seeing him “go yeller” and gave me an early life lesson that I couldn’t last 5 minutes in the slammer. 

Still a favourite even though I’ve never watched it again 42 years later.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'll never tire of Laurel & Hardy, they were the masters of their craft, silly yet absolutely charming and far superior to the likes of Abbott & Costello or The Three Stooges.

The films you mention are all classics that I've seen countless times and will enjoy watching again. I'm 60 but imho they must seem very antiquated to younger audiences, my lad for example is 38 and he wouldn't entertain them and kids just see an old black and white film which in my experience they won't watch, which is sad because they're missing out.

Other than the john Hughes classics I don’t think my kids have watched anything made before this century.

Tried to get my lad into Star Wars but they were the Lucas remakes and he’d just piss himself laughing at the added monsters. 

He did love the revenge of the sith for a while  and watched it again the other month but said he had to turn it off it was that embarrassing. Understandable tbf 

Watched Source Code last night on Netflix. 

Jake Gylenhall sci-fi film, keeps getting sent back to find out who has bombed a train. Some great visuals of Chicago. Weird ending but most Sci-Fi films leave a lot of questions.  Really enjoyed it though. 8/10. 

• Upvote 2

On 01/09/2023 at 14:27, Red74 said:

Ex Machina

Never fancied this before but had nothing better to do last night so left it on.

What a boss movie. Great acting all round and thought provoking right upto the brilliantly depressing ending. 

8/10 way ahead of its time. Esp as our place are trying to get us to use AI as much as possible which im refusing to do because we know where this is ending up. 

p.s loved that dance scene 

Great film that

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Watched Source Code last night on Netflix. 

Jake Gylenhall sci-fi film, keeps getting sent back to find out who has bombed a train. Some great visuals of Chicago. Weird ending but most Sci-Fi films leave a lot of questions.  Really enjoyed it though. 8/10. 

Cracking film that.

• Upvote 1

On 01/09/2023 at 14:27, Red74 said:

With robots who look like Alicia Vikander?

Gonna be honest, struggling to see the downside.

6 hours ago, Strontium said:

With robots who look like Alicia Vikander?

Gonna be honest, struggling to see the downside.

Trapped inside the spare bedroom while she’s out gallivanting around the world in a short dress? 

No thank you sir. 

Dango unchained. 8/10.

First time I've seen this, could have scored higher but I think the film is too long  quality cast, script and acting.

North by Northwest. 9/10.

Again, first time viewing. Hitchcock at his best. Gregory Peck and the rest are really good. Excellent story, stunts are really dated now but didn't spoil the movie.

• Upvote 1