You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Cloud Atlas- Can't decide if its a bold, cinematic masterpiece or a steaming pile of pretentious shit. Maybe it's a bit of both. Either way i enjoyed large parts of it- 7.5/10.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Though part of me wished they'd just made a full length film about Jim Broadbent being stuck in the retirement home.

2001: A Space Odyssey.

I don't think I can give it anything other than a 10/10 just because it's so damn well made. Like Once upon a time in the west and Lawrence of Arabia it gets revered classic status just through it's aesthetic appeal. Does it have much beyond that? Certainly not as much as Lawrence does, maybe the Leone classic, but most of what it does have seems largely incidental. The HAL chapter is far and away the most engaging, the first section is great, the second really dull and the last... I don't know.

I need to watch it again, but I'm sure it'll be a long time before I do. I felt that a lot of the last segment was pretty cynically derived even if technically spectacular considering the optical effects he was working with. When I see this kind of work it always reminds me of Man Ray's experiments except here the abstraction feels so targeted toward the popular culture of the time.

The very end is special though and thankfully Kubrick, for once, doesn't over-egg it. I like the ambiguity but the fractured tone of the piece means there's little drive behind that to push people to really come up with an answer. For me it's the internal conflict of science/religion, both closely interelated as explorations of the unknown. One seeks to engage the sublime, the other seeks to demystify reality. Both vital for progress.

I liked it, didn't love it as with most Kubrick it fails to engage for long stretches. I can see why it's a classic and why many people think it's overrated. I can also understand why a Tarkovsky fan I know thinks it gets a lot of the legitimate sci-fi love Solaris should receive.

Snowtown - With no real previous knowledge of the crimes, I found it a little confusing in places, mostly about minor characters and some scenes, but most of these were cleared up after a brief read up after I'd watched it. It's really good, the acting is great and it wont be an easy watch for some I imagine, but I didn't find it as shocking as my mate made it out to be. There's a scene on there that he considered really hard to watch and it is pretty grim viewing, but not enough to really rattle me. 7.5/10

Can anyone name some more bleak films? I've been told to watch Tyrannosaur, though I heard there was a scene involving a dog and have since avoided watching it. Nil by Mouth was another my mate recommended.

I'm not a fan of Ray Winstone but I watched The War Zone a few years ago. From memory, it was bleak. Bit different from the usual cockney geezer roles Winstone plays.

I Also thought Never Let Me Go, was also bleak. As with everything though, it all come down to opinions.

On a brighter note.

The Men Who Stare At Goats.

A couple of laugh out load moments and lots of chuckles in between. Totally bizarre from start to end.

7.5/10

The book definitely qualifies, not caught the film yet. Good then? I like Garfield and Mulligan so have hopes for it.
I've not read the book, but I know some people can find the film a bit of a let down after the book. I thought it was good but I was glad when it finished as the the feeling of hopelessness got a bit overbearing as it went on.

Whisper of ther Heart - 10/10

Love this film, love Ghibli. A real piece of genius and a real tragedy that Kondo passed away with this as his only feature. The story isn't the most compelling structure but it's lack of direction is essentially the whole point, reflecting the central character and the themes of the film. Self-expression, aspiration and the dedication to artistic discipline required to succeed.

Battleship

what the fuck was I thinking . It's a bit American to say the least

Quite bad really .

One of the worst films i've ever seen. I also have no idea what came over me, i actually paid to watch it at the cinema. Big, dumb action films can be great but it was just drivel.

Searching For Sugar Man- really enjoyed it- 8/10.