You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your first visit to Anfield

Jordy20

Areet me old muckers ... from down Birmingham and an 80's child ... so support Liverpool. Despite bein a huge fan, and seeing Liverpool quite often away from home around the midlands grounds, this was the first time i went to Liverpool to see em.

My god though, the initial shock at Anfield. The houses around boarded up, the run down shops. Really was a massive shock. I can't imagine any of the players who'd see the ground from outdoors wanting to sign for us. Obviously, most of you lot are Liverpudlians so i don't want to be lynched, but it is like travelling back 20 years (well the area around Anfield).

The game against Portsmouth. We played brillliantly, but it wasn't really till they scored that the crowd decided to wake up. Before that, even as we scored, i shouted and most players could quite easily what i had to say, it was that deathly quiet.

Mixed experiences for my first visit. Hope i don't get lynched, but i was quite shocked to see the area around Anfield, It really has woken me up a little about the workin roots of the city. The poor atmosphere was something else that shocked me, cos i'd always had massive hope about seeing the KOP in its full glory, maybe i picked an awfull game to come.

Anyone else outside Liverpool recall their first visit?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

November 2002, we played against West Ham, won 2-1 i think.

Went with a couple of mates, had a drink at a pub near the ground called the Windermere. Had my first experience of can i mind your car mister from some little scall. I had no idea what he said, and my mates had to translate.

Remember walking onto Walton Breck road and getting my first glimpse of Anfield. It was magic, it was something I had waited my whole life for. I remember the fellas selling scarfs on tghe side of the road, and we dropped past Sam Dodds for another pint, before we went in.

Sat in the second last row of the main stand, and remember watching the KOP singing YNWA as the flag went up. I will never forget the experience of that moment, it was only bettered by the first time that I stood on the KOP and joined in with the singing.

As I said we won, I remember Owen scoring the second goal. More pints at the Windermere, where they had food on the bar( something I had never experienced), and a lot of questions from people asking if I was really Australian, and how had I enjoyed my day.

Went back and took the stadium tour the next day, and met the locals when some little cunts threw bottles at us, because I didnt have any smokes.... hopefully some Besiktas fans threw there bike chains down the grate.

It really was an ace day, and one of my fondest memories of all the sporting events i've been to, and all my travels.

As a side note I also discovered TLW at Lime Street for the train ride back to London

Guest The Chimp

1977. Liverpool v Spurs. My dad had a season ticket but couldn't a ticket for me to sit next to him (and he'd tried for about half an hour outside). He explained the situation to the fella on the turnstyle and asked if I could just sit on his knee. Was allowed. Was a glorious sunny day if I remember and the noise and the pitch just appearing are still etched very clearly in my mind. Was lucky that my first experience was one of the most majestic displays (7-0) by this great club. I loved them team anyway, so I can't say this cemented my affection for them, but it was something special to be there and share that experience with my dad, and it's one of my most important and treasured memories.

My god though, the initial shock at Anfield. The houses around boarded up, the run down shops. Really was a massive shock. I can't imagine any of the players who'd see the ground from outdoors wanting to sign for us. Obviously, most of you lot are Liverpudlians so i don't want to be lynched, but it is like travelling back 20 years (well the area around Anfield).

Mixed experiences for my first visit. Hope i don't get lynched, but i was quite shocked to see the area around Anfield, It really has woken me up a little about the workin roots of the city. The poor atmosphere was something else that shocked me, cos i'd always had massive hope about seeing the KOP in its full glory, maybe i picked an awfull game to come.

You did pick an awful game to come, against a shit team just after our title chances had take a battering, and it was also the day after many fans had been on out on the ale for Christmas - never a good occasion.

With respect to the area round the ground and could it deter potential signings there are routes in that would avoid the boarded up houses. By first taking them to Melwood, then to Anfield via Utting Avenue and Anfield Road and into the Main Stand car park they would be oblivous to the deprivation in the area. There is a 10-15 year plan for regnerating the area but this is dependent on the stadium move, so the sooner the club get on with that the better for the local people.

My first game was Tommy Smiths testimonial in 1977 although I wasnt really interested in going. LFC v West Brom in 1978-9 is what I consider my first one as I went as a fan not a kid whose dad couldnt get a babysitter.

The houses around boarded up, the run down shops. Really was a massive shock. I can't imagine any of the players who'd see the ground from outdoors wanting to sign for us. Obviously, most of you lot are Liverpudlians so i don't want to be lynched, but it is like travelling back 20 years (well the area around Anfield).

Believe it or not the stadium has been there since the 1880's, so have most of the shops and houses around them. All the original stadiums were built around that time and all in similar areas of the towns. Eventually the old houses are demolished and Anfield is going through that stage now. I'm sure there are areas of Birmingham that have been in a similar condition at some time in the last 100 years.

I was five it, was a League cup 4th round replay 1983.

We beat Birmingham City 3 -0, Rush scored 2 and it was around Christmas time so was a special treat from my Dad.

http://lfchistory.net/viewgame.asp?game_id=1369&Season_id=25

Turning to the ground and the state of the area. I accept the surrounding area is in need of some regeneration, but as an area to live its better than round the Birmingham grounds. I used to live about 200m from Villa Park on Aston Lane, the housing was nicer but the crime wasn't. I can't count the number of occasions mates who got mugged, beat up and stabbed around that area. The housing round St Andrews is hardly the desres either.

While the area may need some attention I have never felt unsafe there, unlike my four years in Birmingham.

Terrorist: What do you know?

Gary Johnston: I heard there might be a large terrorist attack. If you tell me what it is, maybe I could help out.

Terrorist: Get out of here! We have put out a jihad on the infidels because they destroyed our lives. What do you know about pain and sadness?

[Gary pauses, recalls sounds of gorillas roaring]

Gary Johnston: I was just a boy when the infidels came to my village in their Blackhawk helicopters. The infidels fired at the oil fields and they lit up like the eyes of Allah. Burning oil rained down from the sky and cooked everything it touched. I could only hide myself and cry as my goats were consumed by the fiery black liquid death. In the midst of the chaos, I could swear that I heard my goats screaming for help. As quickly as they had come, the infidels were gone. It was on that day I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too.

Terrorist: I like you. You have balls. I like balls.

Areet me old muckers ... from down Birmingham and an 80's child ... so support Liverpool. Despite bein a huge fan, and seeing Liverpool quite often away from home around the midlands grounds, this was the first time i went to Liverpool to see em.

The game against Portsmouth. We played brillliantly, but it wasn't really till they scored that the crowd decided to wake up. Before that, even as we scored, i shouted and most players could quite easily what i had to say, it was that deathly quiet.

You've never been to West Brom then have you? What a fucking shit hole that place is.

Your a WUM. Go back to Bluekipper or Red Issue.

I think this was my first game, I was 6 weeks shy of my 3rd birthday:

07.10.1981 5 - 0 Exeter Anfield League Cup 2nd round 1L

According to my dad I spent most of the game just looking at the crowd cos I'd never seen so many people before.

The first game I can actually remember in any detail was the 4-3 against Watford in May 85. Digger scored twice for the visitors; my dad said after the game that we would sign him one day.

Sept 77 vs Coventry. 2-0 with Fairclough and Dalglish scoring.

Things that stuck out for me: How the red shirts looked so bright against the green grass and how big the players looked, the noise from the kop and it was the first time i had heard me arl fella swear. When i went to bed that night i couldn't sleep with the excitement of the day.

April 68 boys pen v Sheff Utd I was 12 we lost 2-1.

April 1994 vs. Sheffield Utd. We lost that one 2-1 as well.

We bought tickets from the ticket office (situated in the Main stand) two hours before the game and sat on row one of the centenary upper tier.

Ian Rush scored after three minutes, but we went on to lose to two goals from Jostein Flo. I remember Don Hutchison coming on as a sub.