You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso - Not Good Enough

The Davo

I am interested in peoples genuine opinions about him because I really dont think he offers us anything apart from his passing which leads to overpassing and not making any hurtful passes he always takes the safe pass!

His assists record was 3 last season {im sure somebody will correct me if that's wrong}

but he cant tackle!!

got no pace whatsoever! he looks like he is running in water!

his set peices arent as good as they should be!

He doesnt cover that much ground never a threat to the opposition box!

Not an arieal threat at corners set pieces!

CAN anyone seriously tell me what he brings to the team apart from having hair that looks like its come out of a vidal sasoon advert????

Initial reaction to reading this post

:wow: :$ :lol:

Ignored.....

Guest TK-421

Xabi himself said on .tv today that he'd like to chip in with more goals. Maybe he can get forward a bit more when Mascherano is in the side.

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Robert Carlyle?

A mate of a mate has based his entire style of clothing and behaviour on his character "Begbie" in trainspotting. Gotta love that!

Has anyone told you that you look like a bear in a swimming pool? 8)

I hope your mate doesn't give his mate beer glasses and stuff. Dangerous image, the Begbie.

I am interested in peoples genuine opinions about him because I really dont think he offers us anything apart from his passing which leads to overpassing and not making any hurtful passes he always takes the safe pass!

His assists record was 3 last season {im sure somebody will correct me if that's wrong}

but he cant tackle!!

CAN anyone seriously tell me what he brings to the team apart from having hair that looks like its come out of a vidal sasoon advert????

That Dalglish bloke was shite an all.

Oddball

but he cant tackle!!

Now, this isn't personal, as I'm sure that on the ward you are the most sane patient, but OH DEAR OH DEAR OH DEAR.

Aside from being my fave player, Alonso is just imperious. So, so gifted on the ball and has the ability to pick a pass ANYWHERE on the pitch.

Christ, if you asked him to pick out a fan in the Kop he could put the ball right in his meat pie.

Lads, I reckon your all a tad harsh on the original poster, and comments like 'die' are lets face it, not really called for.

The initial post didnt really get his point across very well, but I think Alonsos contribution to the team is open to debate, as I dont think he had the best of yrs last time out.

Whilst i rate alonso highly, I thought he was shite last season overall by his own high standards, and in my opinion, owes us some big performances in the big matches this season.

I thought Alonsos passing during his 1st season, was reminscent of a young mobile jan molby, but i dont think hes scaled those heights consistently since his ankle break.

Hes been given a 90k a wk contract to keep him here, and is obviously a main player in rafas plans, so he has prove hes worth such a high salary, and get back to the player we know he can be if he is to fight off the competition for a regular place in the team.

Lads, I reckon your all a tad harsh on the original poster, and comments like 'die' are lets face it, not really called for.

The initial post didnt really get his point across very well, but I think Alonsos contribution to the team is open to debate, as I dont think he had the best of yrs last time out.

Whilst i rate alonso highly, I thought he was shite last season overall by his own high standards, and in my opinion, owes us some big performances in the big matches this season.

I thought Alonsos passing during his 1st season, was reminscent of a young mobile jan molby, but i dont think hes scaled those heights consistently since his ankle break.

Hes been given a 90k a wk contract to keep him here, and is obviously a main player in rafas plans, so he has prove hes worth such a high salary, and get back to the player we know he can be if he is to fight off the competition for a regular place in the team.

On this point we agree.

I also think if were gonna win the title our midfield pairing has to be Javier & Stevie, just as McMahon & Whelan kept Molby out of our last title winning team

just like to add Alonso is a great squad player to have.

:D :D :D :D :D

Alonso is our most gifted footballer, you big loon.

I don't agree with that. Clearly Gerrard is.

Would Alonso get in our best central midfield partnership? Possibly. But personally I think Mascherano and Gerrard are our best partnership in the centre.

Having said that Alonso is still very much a key player and does make the team tick at times, especially when Gerrard is not on the field. Alonso might not score many or get too many assists, however he is often the player who does the pass before an assist.

Would Alonso get in our best central midfield partnership? Possibly. But personally I think Mascherano and Gerrard are our best partnership in the centre.

Having said that Alonso is still very much a key player and does make the team tick at times, especially when Gerrard is not on the field. Alonso might not score many or get too many assists, however he is often the player who does the pass before an assist.

I agree but Alonso has always performed at his best when Gerrard wasnt playing, Juve in Turin springs to mind

I agree but Alonso has always performed at his best when Gerrard wasnt playing, Juve in Turin springs to mind

I personally don't agree with that. I think that's a myth and last season when paired together in the centre I think Alonso played his best football when alongside Gerrard.

At home against the shit teams of the PL we could play 3-5-2, with Mascherano,Alonso and Gerrard in the central midfield.....

Nobody matches that central midfield :lol:

And we also have Momo and Lucas as back-ups....

ohh-o-ohh-o we got the best midfield in the world.....

At home against the shit teams of the PL we could play 3-5-2, with Mascherano,Alonso and Gerrard in the central midfield.....

I think part of the reason wants Heinze is so he can have the option to play with three centre backs if need be, whetehr it be home or away.

With Gerrard supposed "bad" season last season I think it deflected a lot of the criticism away from Alonso. I don't think he was anywhere near his best. Alonso always seems to play like he has a lot more to offer and never seems to play at 100%. If Alonso & Gerrard play to their best they will keep out The Chief.

Guest kopgirl

Alonso has said himself he would love to get forward more and attack, but Rafa wont let him because he is there to do Gerrard's dirty work if you like.

I agree last season he wasn't his best but how many of the team were, even Gerrard was average.

The season before last however he was our best tackler he had the highest percentage of tackles made and succeeded, so maybe you should get your facts straight.

Rafa is the reason for the way our players play, down to the smallest detail, have you not read anything about liverpool since Rafa has been here or do you just like to make random crap up so you get some attention?!!

I can't wait till the school holidays are over and all these silly little children get of these boards. :angry:

:D :D :D :D :D

Alonso is our most gifted footballer, you big loon.

He is the metronomic heart beat of the team, and one of the main reasons we have such high possession in matches.

Correct.

I think he is our version of Josep Guardiola, who used to sit in front of the Barcelona back four and link defence and midfield. There arent many around who can play this role which is why he is so valuable.

Correct.

I think he is our version of Josep Guardiola, who used to sit in front of the Barcelona back four and link defence and midfield. There arent many around who can play this role which is why he is so valuable.

It's funny you mention Guardiola, as he's Xabi's favourite player as well.