You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bernard Manning dead.

Chris

How do you feel about Bernard Manning's death?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Bernard Manning's death?

• Good riddance to the horrible racist monstrosity
    • He was funny, you can't take him too seriously
    • Not the slightest bit arsed.

The ones who successfully brought a case against his behaviour when he hilariously ripped them to bits with racist jokes when they were waiting tables obviously did. Loved his mum though, that's the main thing.

Training was cancelled.

You down tomorrow Studious?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu Monty - the legend spreads... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svLyyzBC_qI

My link not enough Kopite? :whistle: (post 19)

But its aimed at Mr Manning rather than Stu. How anyone can say the bloke wasnt racist is beyond my comprehension.

For example (apologies for posting this)

From this blog

http://thecomedyschool.com/blog/2006_09_01_archive.html

Keith Palmer was the sole member of the African Caribbean community in the audience and within 10 minutes of the start of his act, he was brutally picked upon:

Bernard Manning: “I see we’ve got a black fella in tonight. Where are you from, son?”

Keith Palmer: “London.”

Bernard Manning: “Where are you from before that? I think he thinks he’s English.”

Then he went on to say:

“Just because a donkey’s born in a stable, it doesn’t make it a horse.”

Manning went on to suggest that he would pay for Keith to go to any country he might care to choose… The audience lapped it all up.

Keith Palmer was the sole member of the African Caribbean community in the audience and within 10 minutes of the start of his act, he was brutally picked upon:

Bernard Manning: “I see we’ve got a black fella in tonight. Where are you from, son?”

Bernard Manning: “Where are you from before that? I think he thinks he’s English.”

Then he went on to say:

Manning went on to suggest that he would pay for Keith to go to any country he might care to choose… The audience lapped it all up.

Taken out of context, of course it seems racist. Maybe the guy really felt like he was being picked on (although he must have been from the Moon if he didn't know what to expect from a Bernard Manning act). But like I say, Manning ripped on everyone. It's a shame that people are so fucking sensitive these days.

I say Manning wasn't racist because racism excludes people. Manning's humour didn't exclude anyone - he took no prisoners. If I went to a stand-up and the comedian just told Jew jokes, I'd be pretty pissed off and would feel victimised. But if he also told jokes about blacks, Italians, the French, Indians, Pakistanis, Americans, Christians, Muslims, Scots, whites, Mancs, Scousers etc, then I wouldn't feel excluded.

I don't expect everyone to understand or agree with this, but this is the way I see it. And it's corroborated by the man's deeds offstage.

Guest Jay W

He was a comedian, enough said. In his era the pc brigade weren't out in full force and colour's like Nigger-Brown was a common describtion for clothes, wool for knitting, shows like Love Thy Neighbour were around which nowadays I think the broadcaster would be taken to the cleaners for airing and correct me if I'm wrong but there used to be a doll called a Golliwog which eventualy got binned because it was supposedly racist.

If he's a racist biggot then I'd hate to think what they thought of some shows and views which aired throughout his era.

Taken out of context, of course it seems racist. Maybe the guy really felt like he was being picked on (although he must have been from the Moon if he didn't know what to expect from a Bernard Manning act). But like I say, Manning ripped on everyone. It's a shame that people are so fucking sensitive these days.

I say Manning wasn't racist because racism excludes people. Manning's humour didn't exclude anyone - he took no prisoners. If I went to a stand-up and the comedian just told Jew jokes, I'd be pretty pissed off and would feel victimised. But if he also told jokes about blacks, Italians, the French, Indians, Pakistanis, Americans, Christians, Muslims, Scots, whites, Mancs, Scousers etc, then I wouldn't feel excluded.

I don't expect everyone to understand or agree with this, but this is the way I see it. And it's corroborated by the man's deeds offstage.

Are you a fan of Jim Davidson?

Would you like to put his above comments into context then SD, because I'm struggling to think of a context where "Fuck off back where you came Blackie, cos you're not English" would make sense.

Would you like to put his above comments into context then SD, because I'm struggling to think of a context where "Fuck off back where you came Blackie, cos you're not English" would make sense.

Stu, you're not going to use a racist term "satirically" to make a point in a minute, are you? Shit. Too late.

Then he went on to say:

That's the crux though isn't it? Don't blame the people who play to the market - educate the market.

Are you a fan of Jim Davidson?

No, because I don't find him funny.

I can't put the comments into context because I didn't see the whole act. I only have biased secondhand accounts to go on. What I am saying is that I very much doubt that Manning actually thought that black people should be sent "home". That line of thinking would see Manning himself returned to Eastern Europe, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can't put the comments into context because I didn't see the whole act. I only have biased secondhand accounts to go on. What I am saying is that I very much doubt that Manning actually thought that black people should be sent "home". That line of thinking would see Manning himself returned to Eastern Europe, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

On Manning’s mantelpiece at home is proudly displayed a bust of Enoch Powell. I think I know where his thoughts lie.

As the blog reads, Channel 4 filmed it last year to screen after his death. We'll see if its a 'biased secondhand account'.

Racists have a tendency not to be the brightest thinkers. There's millions of European descendents in this country who want to 'send them back' without thinking they are one of 'them'. Why does his stance have to make sense?