You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bernard Manning dead.

Chris

How do you feel about Bernard Manning's death?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Bernard Manning's death?

• Good riddance to the horrible racist monstrosity
    • He was funny, you can't take him too seriously
    • Not the slightest bit arsed.

Like I say, you singling out one race and making jokes about them is not the same as Manning making jokes about everyone.

There's no error in my previous statements. The only error is in your interpretation.

You said him being racist would make no sense as a justification for him not being racist. If not what were you saying?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm prepared to discuss it properly but I made a point that was pretty valid and you dissapeared.

Well, I was finding it difficult to keep up with the posts in this thread to be honest.

If the comment offended you, that's unfortunate, and knowing your taste in comedy, highly surprising.

I don't generally like racist jokes. If you were making jokes about all races, great, there's a context there (as Manning understood) but you weren't - you were singling Jews out because you know I am of Jewish descent. I thought that was pretty cheap.

Now you had your dig and I've had one back so do you want to discuss it properly or not? Why would Manning's stance making no sense be relevant?

I can't answer that. You know, it might be that Manning genuinely thought all the blacks should be "sent home". I don't believe that to be the case though. Do I have any hard evidence for this? No, I don't, that's just what I feel I've gleaned about him over the years.

(And regardless of whether he realised it or not, it would be an illogical stance to take.)

We'd best have some evidence for the prosecution

A charity dinner was held in 1995 near Manchester to raise funds for the police. One entertainer invited was Bernard Manning (then 65, pictured left), one of the standup comedians who do the rounds of working men’s clubs in Northern England and notorious for his anti-ethnic jokes.

The dinner was attended by some 300 policemen – all white except for one black officer. Targeting this single Blackman, Bernard launched into a string of racist jibes. His audience (yes, the police audience) all whooped with delight and cheered him on. Here’s a sample of the jibes reported in News of the World (April 1995):

“Where is he? How are you, baby? Having a night out with nice people? Isn’t this better than swinging from the trees? – You’re black, I’m white. Do you think colour makes a difference? You bet your bollocks it does!”

“They actually think they’re English because they are born here. That means if a dog’s born in a stable, it is horse.”

“They used to be happy people in the cotton fields, singing their bollocks off day and night. A fella used to go around with a whip… ‘Oh, massa, give us another crack of dat whip. I love dat whip’…”

“A Liverpool docker went to South Africa for a job. The boss tells him: ‘It’s people like you we want here. Here’s a test. There’s a revolver, go out and shoot 6 niggers and a rabbit.’ The docker asks: ‘Why do I have to shoot the rabbit?’ He got the job.”

Later that year (1995), the same Manning made two black waitresses the butt of racist jokes before 500 men at a Round Table dinner at the Pennine Hotel, Derby in the north of England. One of the women, Freda Burton, 24, said that their ordeal started when she bent down to pick a cup she had dropped. Manning quipped (S*n, Sept 1995): “Very nice. That’s how I like my black pudding.”

In a complaint to an industrial tribunal, she alleged that Manning went on to make a series of jokes about sex acts and used words like ‘wog, nigger, sambo’.

He said of her hair braids: “Lend us one. I need some shoe laces for my boots.”

The other waitress, Sonia Rhule, 31, said that the audience were stamping their feet and banging the tables for more. “To me,” she said, “it was like a National Front meeting.”

Said a solicitor for the Commission for Racial Equality: ”They were exposed to the racist venom of a comedian without anyone intervening… The employers should have acted.”

http://www.goacom.org/overseas-digest/Race%20(UK)/jibes.html

"I came second in a Robert Redford lookalike contest once. {pause} A f. . . . .g nigger won . . . There's a fellow, John Lennon, He wanted peace, he f. . .g got it. Married a Jap, Yoko Poko, right ugly bastard, face like a blistered piss pot . . . What's two miles long and eats bananas? The f. . . . .g dole queue in Bradford.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19950428/ai_n13979510

I admit I call people names all the time (that's just me; I've called my parents cunts to their faces before now) but Stu's passive-aggressive behaviour does him no favours. It's starting to piss me off a bit actually.

Fucking hell dude, you called your mum a cunt? That's lovely!

I don't generally like racist jokes. If you were making jokes about all races, great, there's a context there (as Manning understood) but you weren't - you were singling Jews out because you know I am of Jewish descent. I thought that was pretty cheap.

I didn't know that. Now I understand your ire: it felt personal. Apologies for the petty lecture.

We'd best have some evidence for the prosecution

A charity dinner was held in 1995 near Manchester to raise funds for the police. One entertainer invited was Bernard Manning (then 65, pictured left), one of the standup comedians who do the rounds of working men’s clubs in Northern England and notorious for his anti-ethnic jokes.

The dinner was attended by some 300 policemen – all white except for one black officer. Targeting this single Blackman, Bernard launched into a string of racist jibes. His audience (yes, the police audience) all whooped with delight and cheered him on. Here’s a sample of the jibes reported in News of the World (April 1995):

“Where is he? How are you, baby? Having a night out with nice people? Isn’t this better than swinging from the trees? – You’re black, I’m white. Do you think colour makes a difference? You bet your bollocks it does!”

“They actually think they’re English because they are born here. That means if a dog’s born in a stable, it is horse.”

“They used to be happy people in the cotton fields, singing their bollocks off day and night. A fella used to go around with a whip… ‘Oh, massa, give us another crack of dat whip. I love dat whip’…”

“A Liverpool docker went to South Africa for a job. The boss tells him: ‘It’s people like you we want here. Here’s a test. There’s a revolver, go out and shoot 6 niggers and a rabbit.’ The docker asks: ‘Why do I have to shoot the rabbit?’ He got the job.”

Later that year (1995), the same Manning made two black waitresses the butt of racist jokes before 500 men at a Round Table dinner at the Pennine Hotel, Derby in the north of England. One of the women, Freda Burton, 24, said that their ordeal started when she bent down to pick a cup she had dropped. Manning quipped (S*n, Sept 1995): “Very nice. That’s how I like my black pudding.”

In a complaint to an industrial tribunal, she alleged that Manning went on to make a series of jokes about sex acts and used words like ‘wog, nigger, sambo’.

He said of her hair braids: “Lend us one. I need some shoe laces for my boots.”

The other waitress, Sonia Rhule, 31, said that the audience were stamping their feet and banging the tables for more. “To me,” she said, “it was like a National Front meeting.”

Said a solicitor for the Commission for Racial Equality: ”They were exposed to the racist venom of a comedian without anyone intervening… The employers should have acted.”

http://www.goacom.org/overseas-digest/Race%20(UK)/jibes.html

"I came second in a Robert Redford lookalike contest once. {pause} A f. . . . .g nigger won . . . There's a fellow, John Lennon, He wanted peace, he f. . .g got it. Married a Jap, Yoko Poko, right ugly bastard, face like a blistered piss pot . . . What's two miles long and eats bananas? The f. . . . .g dole queue in Bradford.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19950428/ai_n13979510

But that's all really funny. Fucking PC brigade. What's the world coming to when you can't say harmless stuff like that any more?

I didn't hear about Bernard Manning until logging on here just now. I have heard various reports about his charitable deeds over the years so I think there was a genuine kindness there that would appear out of sync with the on stage persona. As for his talent, though not my cup of tea I would have to concede that he had great timing and ability to deliver his material. I suppose the crux of the discussion is whether or not that material has validity.

My tuppence worth is that by modern standards most people would see Manning as racist. Society seems to have passed its own judgement on this quite clearly since Manning and his ilk have barely featured on tv for a good many years. His material may once have been accepted by a fairly wide audience, but not any more.

He should be filed away in the history filing cabinet alongside the likes of Benny Hill (albeit for different reasons).

For me there's nothing to see here.

For the record, I wasn't aware that you are Jewish, Danny. If you've mentioned it before then I haven't clicked. That wasn't why I used that point of reference.

Fair dos. I thought you specifically picked Jews because my dad is Jewish. Obviously just a horrible internal misunderstanding. All cleared up now. Sorry I went a bit OTT too...

hamstrung's post is interesting, although I would argue that "I came second in a Robert Redford lookalike contest once. {pause} A f. . . . .g nigger won" makes Manning the primary butt of the joke.

I thought G Richards' post was spot on actually. But I'm really done arguing the toss. All I will say is I genuinely don't believe Bernard Manning was a venomous racist, just a relic. Of course there was a racial element to his comedy, but I don't think he intended to victimise anyone.