You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

5 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Anyone else think the Queen was quite hot when she was was in her 20's?

Anyone?

Just me then? 

Wayne Rooney definitely disagrees. Surprised I haven’t seen him queuing to be honest.

5 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Dont mock people who do something you don't?

What a bizarre appeal to reason that is.

Let's just end observational comedy right now. Fuck, let's close this forum while we're at it, starting with that trans fetish thread.

Wait until he hears about this thing called 'restaurant reviews '.

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

This is the video of the chap attacking the coffin. In a deeply surreal coincidence, the bald chap with the black tie in front of him is an old friend who  I have known for 30 years. 

https://twitter.com/ArchRose90/status/1571036465722953729/video/1

30 years hard labour at the Tower for him I'd imagine 

ALabour MP has said he watched thousands of people queueing to pay tribute to the late Queen at her lying-in-state with “bemusement followed by a touch of despair” and claimed the idea of monarchy as a symbol of duty is a “lie”.

Clive Lewis, a former shadow cabinet minister, has openly defied Sir Keir Starmer’s order to his party to stay silent before the Queen’s funeral on Monday, penning an article in the Guardian in which he claimed that the royal succession is “as much about coercion as consent”.

Mr Lewis, the MP for Norwich South, said the monarchy was a national distraction that allowed the ruling classes to deceive people about their duty to the nation.

Mr Lewis wrote: “While republicans should respect the language of ‘duty’ and ‘sacrifice’ monarchists have so forcefully claimed that the Royal family makes on our behalf, we should not pretend that the reality is anything other than a lie.” 

“That is not what monarchy is. It may provide a symbolic way for us to recognise other people’s sacrifice and commitment to society – but the monarchy itself risks nothing and does not suffer, save for having the lives of the Royal family become the stuff of celebrity gossip. Through it all, it remains the backbone of a power structure that traces its roots back to feudalism.”

He added: “It is a spectacle exalted for exemplifying virtues that should be typical in public life and public behaviour. 

“Casting such behaviour as exceptional allows the likes of Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and the economic elites they represent to break and exploit the rules for their own benefit and that of their very narrow class interest – of which the monarchy is an integral part.”

The former Labour leadership contender, who was shadow defence secretary under Jeremy Corbyn, accused the Royal family of enjoying tax breaks and enriching themselves while inequality in the UK has grown. 

The comments are likely to anger Sir Keir's office, particularly since Labour MPs were this week issued guidance warning them to “suspend all campaigning and party activity” and give no comment to the media, save tributes to the Queen.

The advice provoked criticism from some MPs and shadow ministers.

Mr Lewis is a former BBC journalist and vice-president of the National Union of Students. He served a tour of Afghanistan in 2009 with the 7 Rifles. 

In 2019, he stood for leader of the Labour Party but failed to receive enough parliamentary nominations to get on the ballot.

15 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

I don't see it being over Tuesday not if the BBC have their way , they still manage to squeeze into the packed schedule the Women winning the Euro football thing .

Thankfully it won't affect me come Thursday as I'm out of the country and away from this madness. 

Lucky fucker 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

I bet you loads of these gimps queueing up have had a go at scousers in the past for holding vigils or "being hooked on grief". One Manc I knew ages ago said scousers have a minutes silence when a battery dies.

Yet here they all are all over the country all trying to outgrief each other.

Self pity country 

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

I don't see it being over Tuesday not if the BBC have their way , they still manage to squeeze into the packed schedule the Women winning the Euro football thing .

Thankfully it won't affect me come Thursday as I'm out of the country and away from this madness. 

Have they had the coronation yet?

Just now, Fugitive said:

Just read that one of the grandkids is only 14. They made him stand there for 15 minutes, next to his dead nans coffin whilst hundreds of people were walking past gawping at him.

This is seriously fucked up.

Not as much that the little cherub was sporting 3 medals and wearing them proud as punch.

Now, I'm no expert on the awarding of medals and honors, but 3 medals at the age of 14 feels a bit like nepotism to me. 

• Upvote 1