You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Time to play Robbie up front

JohnBull

the Champions League is all we have left to play for this season, that and 2nd or 3rd place. We need to start scoring some goals ... this is the 2nd game in a row that we have outplayed, though not dominated, a superior opponent yet lost the game because we could not convert our chances.

The games in the CL are not going to get any easier from here on in to the final and we need to start putting those chances into the net. There is no one at the club better at that than Robbie. He may not have the stamina of Kuyt or thew speed of Bellamy but we will not miss the chances that these two mugs do.

Rafa needs to find a way to get him on the field if we are to win number 6 this year, that is how I see it.

In these two games robbie fowler would of been a poor choice. Most of our chances came from the work rate of kuyt and the pace, determination of Bellamy. Link up play between them Gerrard and Riise was fantastic tonight especially in the first half. Robbie Fowler a great finisher granted but just doesnt have the neck for games like tonight anymore. Sad to see but the same thing is happening with Hyypia

Guest TK-421

The goals will come soon. It will be like that time when we didn't score any goals and then suddenly we scored loads of goals.

In these two games robbie fowler would of been a poor choice. Most of our chances came from the work rate of kuyt and the pace, determination of Bellamy. Link up play between them Gerrard and Riise was fantastic tonight especially in the first half. Robbie Fowler a great finisher granted but just doesnt have the neck for games like tonight anymore. Sad to see but the same thing is happening with Hyypia

You make it sound like Robbie is 90 yrs old with a limp.

The man can still play football at the highest level and is twice the finisher that Bellamy and Kuyt are combined. Rafa needs to find a way to get him in the side for the CL run in. Goals are going to be harder to get as the competition enters the final stages, especially if we draw another Prem team, chances of which are quite likely since Man U are almost a sure bet to go thru and put at least 3 English teams in the last 8.

Yes he's slow and yes he may not last the full 90. But fuck me if he won't get us some goals if he gets half the chances that have gone a begging to the other forwards.

Another thing Rafa needs to do is get Momo out of the middle. Somehow he is getting too much of the ball recently and looking like a deer caught in the headlights when he has it. The kid is a monster tackler and ball winner but his possession play and distribution needs some work.

The goals will come soon. It will be like that time when we didn't score any goals and then suddenly we scored loads of goals.

Neither Kuyt or Bellamy are Liverpool class strikers ... not even close. And neither of them will ever be prolific for the club. Of the two I would keep Bellamy ... his speed and ballsy play will always have a use against certain teams.

Kuyt I would sell in the summer. I love the guys heart and tireless, unselfish working for the team. But for a striker he is simply not skillful enough to play for LFC.

I love Robbie. I agree that he is the best finisher at the club. But I disagree with the premise of this thread.

Last night was all about pressing them. This started up top, with Kuyt and Bellamy giving their defenders no time to settle. There's no way Robbie could have done a job like that. The obvious outcome if Robbie started would have been they would have had more time to build from the back and get into their passing game, which would have likely contributed to them getting through us a bit more.

Robbie has loads of talent and no one can deny that. But last night we needed top athletes who could press and harry Barca all over the pitch. It worked too.

The width of a crossbar, better finishing and a strange tactical substitution put us on the back foot for the last 20 mins. I honestly feel that if Robbie had started we'd have been on the back foot a lot longer than that.

Neither Kuyt or Bellamy are Liverpool class strikers ... not even close. And neither of them will ever be prolific for the club. Of the two I would keep Bellamy ... his speed and ballsy play will always have a use against certain teams.

Kuyt I would sell in the summer. I love the guys heart and tireless, unselfish working for the team. But for a striker he is simply not skillful enough to play for LFC.

Fuck off.

Kuyt has scored goals for us, He just need to score more often and won't unless he gets into the box more often and quicker. Lets give the lad a chance it's his first season and in the last couple of games has worked his socks off. Crouch and Bellamy have had the best chances in the last two games and not put them away

Saying that Robbie should start most games because he once was great is like saying you would employ a genius physicist after Alzheimer's has set in.

i agree, robbie wouldn't have made half time last night. we needed to hurry them into mistakes rather than allow the the time to play. with a little bit of luck it would have 3-0 in the first half

the Champions League is all we have left to play for this season, that and 2nd or 3rd place. We need to start scoring some goals ... this is the 2nd game in a row that we have outplayed, though not dominated, a superior opponent yet lost the game because we could not convert our chances.

The games in the CL are not going to get any easier from here on in to the final and we need to start putting those chances into the net. There is no one at the club better at that than Robbie. He may not have the stamina of Kuyt or thew speed of Bellamy but we will not miss the chances that these two mugs do.

Rafa needs to find a way to get him on the field if we are to win number 6 this year, that is how I see it.

Neither team is superior to us. We are up there with the best, but.... You are right in that our problem is scoring goals. In most other areas, we are as good as anyone else, and vastly better than most. If we start converting our superiority into goals - and perform consistently like we have in the last two games, and the recent two against Chelsea and away to Barca, - then we will be the best.

Don't think Robbie is up to it now, but I'd love to see one final flourish of his career, with him banging in goals for us like he used to.

Everything. If you can't see how vital the constant pressure that Kuyt and Bellamy put their defence under, and the work they put in to win lost cuases, was in last night's result then there's no helping you. Fowler wouldn't have lasted ten minutes at that intensity and the whole team would have suffered as a whole.

I find the idea that someone thinks Fowler would have been a better choice last night, frankly, laughable; I can't take it seriously. Bellamy and Kuyt were immense and I no sooner play Fowler instead of one of them in a big game than I would play Kenny Dalglish: class being permanent is a myth; time defeats everyone eventually.

Everything. If you can't see how vital the constant pressure that Kuyt and Bellamy put their defence under, and the work they put in to win lost cuases, was in last night's result then there's no helping you. Fowler wouldn't have lasted ten minutes at that intensity and the whole team would have suffered as a whole.

I find the idea that someone thinks Fowler would have been a better choice last night, frankly, laughable; I can't take it seriously. Bellamy and Kuyt were immense and I no sooner play Fowler instead of one of them in a big game than I would play Kenny Dalglish: class being permanent is a myth; time defeats everyone eventually.

Thats 100% correct. Fowler would have needed an oxygen tent after 20 mins of chasing Puyol and Thuram around.

Since when have we been the type of team that chase people around? ... isn't it us who should have the ball and be the ones being chased?

Robbie is not a paraplegic for fucks sake ..... obviously he is no Kuyt in terms of work rate but to say he wouldnt have lasted 20 mins is a bit harsh. and to say that we wouldnt have been able to harry and pressure them as effectively with him on the pitch is also faulty as perhaps, with him on the pitch we would have converted one or two of the many chances that fell our way .... that would certainly have changed the whole game around, yes?

Rafa is a top manager and a master tactician, who am I to question him, really? However, I still think he needs to get Robbie on the pitch. The biggest reasons for our failures this season have been a lack of creativity in the final 3rd and a lack of clinicality in the 18 yard box. Hustle and chasing people all over the pitch alone will not get it done. (are you saying that were Jari here Rafa would not play him because he couldnt chase people for 90 minutes?)There has to be a way to get Robbie's finishing skills into the team and I really feel it would be a strategy worth employing. Neither Kuyt nor Bellamy will ever be the striker that Robbie still is and waiting for that to happen is a plain waste of time. They are both always going to be iffy in front of goal and I feel thst that just may not be good enough at this stage of the CL.

I made a comment earlier in the thread that Man U and Barca are superior to us and I stand by that. They are both more clinical, creative and assured on the ball than we are. They both always look to have more time on the ball and more options when they have it. Especially against Man U on Saturday, eventhough we outplayed them and were desperately unlucky to lose, I felt they were the better team when they had the ball.

Another example of somebody who thinks that the fact that another team that because another team is better than us that we have a right to be better than them. Compare the money United and Ronaldinho spend on one player and then you will see why their players have better technique.

Fuck off.

Do you dispute what I said? ... that neither Bellamy nor Kuyt are Liverpool class strikers?

Look ..... you can curse all you want but if you know anything about this game you will realize that what I said is true. Obviously they aren't totally useless ... both are decent in their own ways. But neither is world i.e. Liverpool class. One only has to see them play for that fact to be driven irrevocably home.

Guest Devils Advocate

bring back tbm, to be honest kuyt fustrated me as much as baros last night, if he is up fornt on his own, he should stay up front, chase the ball down like rush used to but not keep coming deep into midfield, once bellamy came off we looked fcuked in the last third, like playing 424 with 4 defenders, 2 holding players and 4 midfielders

No way was that, or the away tie, a game for Robbie. He just doesnt (or can) put in the work rate that Kuyt and Bellamy did. Our defence and midfield would have been under a lot more pressure if we had Robbie up front. Im actually shocked that anyone would think we would have been better with Robbie on.

Robbie is God to me but lets be honest, he doesnt have the legs for a tie like that.

that's bull, john

Fuck off.

Well that really adds to the debate.

The man has took the time to give his opinions which is what a forum is all about, if you don`t agree with his view well thats fine but why not try and engineer a debate giving an alternate viewpoint. Any fool can hurl abuse.