You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These guys weren’t the first, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares. It’s a game changer. The big scare of ocean acidification through methane overload, is now conpletely reversable.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/kift-iaf120318.php?fbclid=IwAR2RKTyklOJqvmjsGZ1r0DzXK528k1tWlRH98-R_FVLDvhwAK7pMPcYI8oY

An excellent article about the arrival of the age of the ‘prosumer’ in general, but then I spied the following passage:

*Producing Hydrogen and solid high specific surface homogeneously crystalline Carbon thermo- catalytically from Methane delivers about 50% of its calorific value in Hydrogen and 40% in Carbon. While burning or steam reforming Methane squanders the Carbon-wrapping of Hydrogen Energy into CO2, this sort of Methane carbonization releases Hydrogen under conservation of the Carbon Energy, consequently, using it without throwing it away. To make this tangible one must just envisage that each tonne of CO2 represents thrown away Carbon equivalent to 2.5barrel crude oil Carbon. *

We have the technology to reverse ocean acidification, using the methane to power our world, while producing durable goods for the marketplace.

I’m much more positive about the future. There was a catchcry in the 1980s that went ‘Act Local Think Global’. 

https://electrifying.world/2020/10/27/successful-energy-transition-needs-a-democratization-in-use-of-existing-infrastructure/?fbclid=IwAR12Q9CkUTk8bwMlQ_dAtQHGtfaaSOH1r2UkeFfWFqLfEj7o6s8dlvbyy74

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

You'd think the Met office issuing its first ever heat warning would raise a few environmental questions but watching BBC breakfast this morning they seem to think it's all jolly japers. The world can become hotter than hell but don't worry we've got some feel good clips of dogs enjoying themselves in people's paddling pools.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

If minds and money made a global effort for renewable energy for tidying up the planet to make it the world's number one cause the technology would move as fast as it does when we make a global effort to kill each other. The will isn't there the super rich super powerful care only for themselves and probably have that area on the map circled out that won't suffer too badly.

It just makes me sad that we are the shittest species on the planet and we’re gonna destroy all the other good species at the same time as ourselves. 

It’d be better if we wiped ourselves out now and handed it over to the dolphins while they’ve still got a chance of sorting the rest out. 

• Upvote 2

I'm arsed, but individual human beings make fuck all difference in regards to climate change. Recycling, not eating meat, having a hybrid or electric vehicle, all that's good, but realistically it just serves as ways to make the individual feel they are contributing. The real culprits are states, big business, militaries. They're the ones ruining the environment and have us on a collision course for potential disaster, not the regular Joe who drinks with a plastic straw. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm arsed, but individual human beings make fuck all difference in regards to climate change. Recycling, not eating meat, having a hybrid or electric vehicle, all that's good, but realistically it just serves as ways to make the individual feel they are contributing. The real culprits are states, big business, militaries. They're the ones ruining the environment and have us on a collision course for potential disaster, not the regular Joe who drinks with a plastic straw. 

Read that back. 

9 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If minds and money made a global effort for renewable energy for tidying up the planet to make it the world's number one cause the technology would move as fast as it does when we make a global effort to kill each other. The will isn't there the super rich super powerful care only for themselves and probably have that area on the map circled out that won't suffer too badly.

The joy of Capitalism: if you rich enough, you get to own plenty of nice stuff; the only downside is the greatest global extinction for 65 million years. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.