You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

42 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

@Mook you have a new high priestess.

1278.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

To quote AOC “Oh my God, love it, love it. This tastes just like the Latino soda Kola Champagne.”

Fuck climate change, here's the real news from COP26.

Where the fuck is Tentions?

• Upvote 1

On 01/11/2021 at 14:03, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve never denied it’s an issue, but it wasn’t really on my radar (to my shame now). It’s becoming obvious that this is the most important issue we will face in our lifetime. We have a responsibility to our children and their children. 

I’m a lifelong Labour voter and I despise the fucking Tories but I can see myself putting all that aside in the future and throwing my lot in with whoever can influence this agenda positively. Probably quite an easy statement to make as I’m pretty sure that won’t be Boris or his gang of buffoons.

This world needs to be put in the hands of those who really care, not those who see it firstly as political capital and then as a moral issue (if they see that at all).

I need to educate myself more on this subject but we seem to be right royally fucking it up at the moment.

Oh and I love Greta. I’m sure she’s not perfect, she’s an autistic eighteen year old navigating uncharted waters, but I’d listen to her above any politician, from the major economies at any rate, represented at COP 26.

3C01C081-5FE8-449A-830C-B778A3C7CDB6.jpeg

7CF62FB3-0F6F-4CAB-8309-6ED7F0320974.jpeg

Cant stand her myself behaves like all those other Hollywood gobshites. Meanwhile in India there is a bloke who spends each day planting trees something worthwhile for the planet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

21 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Cant stand her myself behaves like all those other Hollywood gobshites. Meanwhile in India there is a bloke who spends each day planting trees something worthwhile for the planet.

Frankly, one bloke planting trees will achieve fuck all; it's well-intentioned tinkering, no more effective than cycling and switching your lights off at home. The only people who have the power to achieve the necessary changes are politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in not making changes. The only way they are going to do that is if there is a global mass movement to constantly remind them of what they need to do. As a figurehead for that movement, Thunberg is doing amazingly well.

"Behaves like Hollywood gobshites" my arse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

So you know fuck all about her then? 

Some fella on radio 2 the other day saying "why should we be more green if China aren't" are these people really this thick and selfish? Do your bit no matter how big or small and stop calling people who give a fuck "woke" you utter fucking nobheads.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Frankly, one bloke planting trees will achieve fuck all; it's well-intentioned tinkering, no more effective than cycling and switching your lights off at home. The only people who have the power to achieve the necessary changes are politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in not making changes. The only way they are going to do that is if there is a global mass movement to constantly remind them of what they need to do. As a figurehead for that movement, Thunberg is doing amazingly well.

"Behaves like Hollywood gobshites" my arse.

Guess we have a difference of opinion then because that bloke has made far more of a difference to the planet than she has. Suggest you look up Jadav Payeng  . Sagging school on a Friday doesnt compare.

1 minute ago, CapeRed said:

Guess we have a difference of opinion then because that bloke has made far more of a difference to the planet than she has. Suggest you look up Jadav Payeng  . Sagging school on a Friday doesnt compare.

Yeah... you're wrong, though. 

What difference to the planet does planting a few thousand trees make? You're much better off devoting your efforts to persuading the people who are killing millions of trees to pack it in.

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

So you know fuck all about her then? 

Some fella on radio 2 the other day saying "why should we be more green if China aren't" are these people really this thick and selfish? Do your bit no matter how big or small and stop calling people who give a fuck "woke" you utter fucking nobheads.  

My opinion of her really doesnt matter does it? It's just my opinion and if you dont agree  , fine and thats what these pages are about. Yes  countries need to be greener but its a fact that without the US , China and India being part of it then its going to be a struggle.Shouldnt be an excuse not to do anything.

Just now, CapeRed said:

My opinion of her really doesnt matter does it? It's just my opinion and if you dont agree  , fine and thats what these pages are about. Yes  countries need to be greener but its a fact that without the US , China and India being part of it then its going to be a struggle.Shouldnt be an excuse not to do anything.

Doesn't it follow, then, that campaigning to get the US, China and India to change is worth doing?

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yeah... you're wrong, though. 

What difference to the planet does planting a few thousand trees make? You're much better off devoting your efforts to persuading the people who are killing millions of trees to pack it in.

What difference does it make?Thats lazy mate kinda like saying why bother going green if China or India dont. We all have to start somwhere  that guy has planted an entire forest over 35 years, that supports wildlife that was decimated, and plans to plant another 5, 000 acres of trees. 

Im all for doing my bit but Im fucked if Im going to shell out upwards of 20 grand I havent got for heating systems not worthy of the name nor are suitable for many, many UK houses.

Bottom line is yes, some are selfish but they're also correct that while some contries are belching out upwards of 25%+ of all global co2, forcing UK people to pay what they cannot afford isnt going to make a dint in that co2 output.

Serious subjects need serious debate and solutions, not a rush to throw shitloads of money at the problem. You'd think the pandemic would have illustrated that fact.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Doesn't it follow, then, that campaigning to get the US, China and India to change is worth doing?

It depends how you go about it but I am pretty certain that blocking roads in the UK or Sweden will not cause Beijing to re-think.  Looking at a small step for example electric vehicles. How is that going to work in Africa infrastructure wise ?

4 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

What difference does it make?Thats lazy mate kinda like saying why bother going green if China or India dont. We all have to start somwhere  that guy has planted an entire forest over 35 years, that supports wildlife that was decimated, and plans to plant another 5, 000 acres of trees. 

You're missing the point.

Documentaries and books about that tree-planting bloke are doing more good for the planet than his actual tree-planting. His forest is a great thing in his little corner of India, but its impact beyond that is negligible. It's only when campaigners use it as an example to encourage governments to do whatever they can that it has any sort of global impact.

1 minute ago, CapeRed said:

It depends how you go about it but I am pretty certain that blocking roads in the UK or Sweden will not cause Beijing to re-think.

Those actions are aimed at the UK and Sweden. Everyone needs to do what's the most effective thing where they are: if you're in rural India, plant some trees, if you must, and campaign for your government to stop shitting the place up.

Looking at a small step for example electric vehicles. How is that going to work in Africa infrastructure wise ?

I haven't heard anyone talk about electric vehicles for Africa.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Of course Africa isnt mentioned but if we are talking green then they would be expected to be part of the global solution surely ? The 4 largest producers of CO2 are , in no particular order, Russia, China, India and the US. The UK is around 18th or so at 1,1 percent so surely you can see the challenge in getting the likes of Russia and China to the table and no protesting in Europe is going to do that.

Never really give it much thought until this year really, watched the Attenburgh ‘Extinction’ movie & ‘Seaspiracy’ on Netflix amongst others & they’ve  really struck a chord. We have totally fucked/fucking this planet up. Quite disturbing when I think of what the world will be like when my kids are my age (52). So fucking infuriating these ‘deniers’ when there now so much evidence. The horrible selfish fucking cunts. 

Anybody watching the end of this?

China and India just kicked it all in the dick at the last minute, glorious showmanship.

We’re doomed, but what did we expect when we elected an entitled narcissist to act as our international moral compass and have allowed Alok Sharma to pretend he knows what he’s doing.

The guy from the EU is really laying in to them

Objectively an all round failure.