You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carling Cup time...

KopOut

I really don't give a shit what players Rafa selects. I think he will have sound reasons whatever his team will be. Carra is injured, so he's deffo gone. I'm pretty confident Palletta will play.

But I dare, I fucking double dare any player selected against Reading to show any lack of commitment.

And one thing is for certain, if Reading knocks us out this place is going into meltdown.

How about the strongest team possible, to remain the same, barring injuries, for many games to come?!

Although, likely to be a young/reserve side.

I'm looking forward to it...Arsenal away apart, we've got a decent run (on paper) of games from Wednesday night onwards.

Paletta played RB in one of our friendlies. It was the one where he did that horrendous backpass actually.

I think Paletta will play centre half and Peltier at right back. That`s where they both played pre season at Wrexham. I hope he doesn`t play to many youngsters from the off as a cup exit at this time would just be rubbing salt into raw wounds. Realisticly our best chance of a Trophy.

Not on my fucking watch!

totally disagree the way you are towards Idrizaj, if he's doing something wrong then why is he continually playing, starting most games, playing regularly for Under 21s in Internationals, scoring goals. I agree that at times he's lazy but fair enough the other day against Boro, he'd just broke a lads leg by accident (he defo slipped), where i was sitting i heard the crack of the leg break and im sure that probably put him off his game, he has shown that he has the ability, last season against West Brom he shown why he was austria young player of the year! he was quality and i think he played really well against boro up until the tackle on the lad! Look at Shevchenko, only just scored his 1st goal, Morientes, quality player but struggled to adapt, i think he's starting to to adapt and he'll start showing his worth!

totally disagree the way you are towards Idrizaj, if he's doing something wrong then why is he continually playing, starting most games, playing regularly for Under 21s in Internationals, scoring goals. I agree that at times he's lazy but fair enough the other day against Boro, he'd just broke a lads leg by accident (he defo slipped), where i was sitting i heard the crack of the leg break and im sure that probably put him off his game, he has shown that he has the ability, last season against West Brom he shown why he was austria young player of the year! he was quality and i think he played really well against boro up until the tackle on the lad! Look at Shevchenko, only just scored his 1st goal, Morientes, quality player but struggled to adapt, i think he's starting to to adapt and he'll start showing his worth!
Yeah yeah, but he's just shit.

I don't care what he's playing like for Austria u21s, I'm only interested in what I see, and aside from the occasional good moment he's been mostly awful. And he is very lazy.

Rafael Benitez is set to ring the changes for the Carling Cup visit of Reading to Anfield on Wednesday night and said the likes of Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Sami Hyypia will be rested.

The Liverpool manager will also be without the injured Craig Bellamy, Mark Gonzalez and Fabio Aurelio but with Jerzy Dudek suspended England Under-20 international David Martin will be on the bench after recovering from his hip injury.

Promoted from the reserve team to the first team squad will be utility player Lee Peltier, full back James Smith and central midfielder Danny Guthrie. Robbie Fowler is set to start after recovering from a back problem.

"We have played a lot of games already this season and we have some injuries so I need to protect the players and the likes of Gerrard, Alonso, Finnan and Hyypia will be not be involved," confirmed Benitez.

"Finnan has almost played 1,080 minutes of football this season and we are only in October. The likes of Gerrard, Alonso and Hyypia have already nearly played 20 games as well.

"We want to start winning again and we will be looking to put things right against Reading. I will use some of my senior and younger players for this match. Robbie Fowler has been training well after his back problem so he will figure.

"It's difficult sometimes when we play young players because when we win with them then no one will say anything but when we lost at Crystal Palace last year then people question why are we using young players."

I would really love it if James Smith got a chance to play. That lad has done it the hard way, and has been close to leaving the club several times. As a youngster at the academy his attitude wasn't the best, and he quit. He asked to come back a few weeks later, and was put on trial. He did well and earned another year.

Then he played in the ressies, and it looked like he was going to be released. He broke his ankle late in the season, which meant the club had to keep him on until he was fit. He came back, played great and earned another contract, and he hasn't looked back since.

He's a trier is Jay, and a really solid defender who never lets the side down. I'd be made up if he got a chance at right back, with Peltier playing in centre mid, which is his best position. I'm not saying he'll make it here, but it'd be nice to see all his hard work rewarded with at least one first team appearance.