You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irrational fears..

Stouffer

I was more scared of triffids.

Yeh i hated triffids. My nan had massive daffadils in her front gardan and i wouldn' go up the path. I also know some girl in work who is scared of buttons. If they are on clothes there fine but lose and she really hates them ??????

I'm sure we had this thread before, I'll try and dig it up. I was scared of walking on blue carpets/flooring after watching jaws.

I currently can't stand those horrible socks that are like gloves with individual toe compartments.

Guest TK-421

Not many of these fears are irrational; triffids were fucking scary and Jaws speaks for itself (ba-dum).

I'm scared of biting wool because of the sound it makes but I'm not sure that counts. When the BFG talks about giants eating the guards at Buckingham Palace all I could think of was those big crunching teeth chewing the woolly hats and the awful friction it would create. I hope they took the hats off first, even then the uniforms look like they're made of wool too.

The trumpet sound at the start of Open University programs. Our kid used to turn the volume up as it got to the loud "parrrrp" bit and freak me out big time.

Doors with vertically orientated oval windows in them.

High places. It's not the thought of falling off, it's the almost irresistable urge to jump off to "see what happens.." Go splat, probably..

From when I was about 5 or 6...

I used to be scared of the St Bruno's advertising hoarding outside Ogdens on West Derby Road. When I was a kid, the pipe lit up in the dark.

Also, at the Pier Head, looking up at the clouds as they passed the Liver Buildings and thinking that it was the building moving and not the clouds.

Guest molbyscorchio
Being pinned down and made to put loads of 2p's and 1p's in my mouth - hitting the nerves of my fillings...

no change there then...

I was terrified of road sweepers / drain clearing lorries or whatever they're called. It was the combination of the almighty racket and the vague fear that it might suck me up inside it by accident, a fear possibly planted in my head by mischievous kids at playgroup / school.

Whenever I was out with my mum she'd make a diversion so we didn't have to walk past one, but one day when I was four or five she got fed up messing around and took me past one. Fucking hell, the noise, it felt like the sky was falling in. I screamed my head off and cried all the way home.

Still get an uncomfortable feeling when one goes past nowadays.

• 3 years later...