You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO Gav/Irish Reds World Cup

johnb

Gav,

France getting pasted again today in the papers. Editorial in "L'Equipe" calling for Zizou to come back. If we can beat the Israelis at home and follow it up with a win against the Faroes, we are guaranteed to be at least two points ahead of the French when they play us. It's in our hands and if we can win out in Cyprus as well, I think two draws at home to the French and Swiss would suffice. Feeling positive about it, despite some people's reservations about Greener this week.

Just wondering John and Gav what do the Irish fans in general think of Roy Keane now? How has he been playing for the Irish? How do you both personally feel about him? Just interested like.

Still a bit split I think, John. Gav will know more than me on this as I'm in France and don't hear what it's like on the ground. Some will never forgive (anti-Manc bias plays a role there, although it's more to do with the fact that he walked out on his country); others feel he was justified in his actions and that things have been better since.

Again, Gav is the man to ask. I haven't seen us much. But from what I hear, he's been his old reliable self. Diarra is playing very well both for Lens and France and I think we should get him back, however.

Ambivalent. The past is the past. Don't agree with him not staying in Japan, but we are better with him - that's for sure.

Terry Mac,

Think 2 points out of six might suffice (depending on Switzerland-France), but just for play-offs. 3 would be great and I think 4 would almost seal it. I would take play-off place now if offered it, however, as this one is going to go to the wire and I don't really trust us in these situations.

French are all over the place at the moment and are there for the taking, Swiss on the other hand will be tough, but were good at home and iam confident we could get max points, Isreal at home could be the sticky game

There was one on the high street today, they're spreading too you know!

Not seen any of Israels games, can someone who has seen them tell me if when the other team tries to defend itself from attacks the call in helicopter gunships?

Still a bit split I think, John. Gav will know more than me on this as I'm in France and don't hear what it's like on the ground. Some will never forgive (anti-Manc bias plays a role there, although it's more to do with the fact that he walked out on his country); others feel he was justified in his actions and that things have been better since.

Again, Gav is the man to ask. I haven't seen us much. But from what I hear, he's been his old reliable self. Diarra is playing very well both for Lens and France and I think we should get him back, however.

Ambivalent. The past is the past. Don't agree with him not staying in Japan, but we are better with him - that's for sure.

Terry Mac,

Think 2 points out of six might suffice (depending on Switzerland-France), but just for play-offs. 3 would be great and I think 4 would almost seal it. I would take play-off place now if offered it, however, as this one is going to go to the wire and I don't really trust us in these situations.

Judging by his book Mick McCarthy seemed like a total cunt and I read the younger lads in the squad who didn't have much say in things like Finnan etc thanked Keane for what he did in standing up to McCarthy about the training facilities etc.

Had to laugh at the 'Harrys Challenge' thing under Jack Charlton what pissed Keane off and understandably so as well.

It is interesting the way McCarthy has never really given his version of events since 2002 or if he did I didn't hear them.

You should never walk out on your country because as terry mac says, the supporters who mortgage their houses. I knew Irish lads in Canada who mortgaged homes to go, and Keane in his book has the gall to bleat on about how it cost him 30 000 euros to send his family- that's like four days work for him.

Like terrymac said, he should have spoke up after- although it is strange how they gave it a right good go without him, kind of like us when Stevie is missing??

Side note, see the Scotland match with the Italians fighting amoungst themselves. Scary shit.

training facilities were a disgrace, but as captain of Ireland and as our best player and for all those supporters who travelled half way around the world to see their team he should have stayed and aired his grieve when the tournament finished

Ireland were class in that World Cup and were very unlucky to go out v Spain. In an ideal world for me they will knock England out at some stage in Germany with Finnan crossing for Keane to score the winner in the last minute.

I think 1994 had a big bearing on Keanes decision to quit the Word Cup 2002 squad as well as Jack Charlton was treating it like a joke that they were there and played up on the 'unlucky Irish' thing and Keane felt the same thing was happening again in 2002.

He said in his book before the World Cup started he invited McCarthy round to his house to discuss preparation for it and McCarthy said everything would be done thoroughly and professionally unlike 94, sounds like he lied to me.

What the fuck are Israel doing in European leagues for both qualifiers and for Euro club tournaments? They don't get on with their neighbours so have to use our continent.

Possibly the understatement of the century. Have you considered diplomacy as a career, Rash?

What the fuck are Israel doing in European leagues for both qualifiers and for Euro club tournaments? They don't get on with their neighbours so have to use our continent. What next? North Korean teams in Uefa competitons?

Munich '72??? Their neighbors have official policies to exterminate the state of Israel.

the FAI are a fucking joke, they have alot to answer for over Japan not just McCarthy, its true Keane set his standards alot higher then most and went to Japan looking to win the world cup not just participate and go home after the first round...but as you said John we done quite well without him, with him who knows how far we could have gone, the biggest looser in the sham was Keane himself

Exterminating the STATE of israel wouldn't be such a bad thing at the moment mate. For a race that have been through the experiences of the holocaust to be acting the way they currently are astounds me. How can a people so sinned against let it carry on?

The occupation of Palestine and treatment of it's occupants is the single biggest disgrace in international politics.

They are in violation of about 10 UN Resolutions, they are not on the continent of Europe and they have Nuclear weapons without any treaty or exeption, all that is not the point.. the point why the fuck are they playing Ireland? They are not in Europe FFS.

Exterminating the STATE of israel wouldn't be such a bad thing at the moment mate. For a race that have been through the experiences of the holocaust to be acting the way they currently are astounds me. How can a people so sinned against let it carry on?

The occupation of Palestine and treatment of it's occupants is the single biggest disgrace in international politics.

Absolutely, and as a reward we let them compete in our football tournaments... I think we should let North Korea in too, their neighbours hate them too... :wallbutt:

Just telling Rash why Israel don't play out of Asia Confederation.

I agree Israel don't have any moral ground to stand on and are supported by teh U.S. Palestinians don't even have access to water, let alone anything else.

But I wouldn't exterminate their state, in their brief history from 1948 on it was the Arabs who tried to conquer and drive them out but now they are the agitators who are excaberating the problem with secrurity walls (does history teach them nothing?). Even the Norwegians with the Oslo Accord couldn't solve it.

I saw a good ol' game of five-card stud, two draws of three, nothing wild for Jericho, West Bank, Gaza Strip and Yassers' old MK-47. Winner take all. Fcuk this road to peace, the road to peace leads to Vegas Baby, Vegas Baby....

Oh, and I thind the good Dr A is still looking for one on the Kop for Tuesday.