You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I honestly do think as well we are the 3rd best team, but it hasnt mattered yet. We just know how to win so far. And the gap between sides is not really big. 

We are easily a better team than Arsenal. 

• Upvote 1

Trent, Jones, Alisson, Jota, Endo and Konate have missed 30% of our league games, Robbo has missed half and Matip, whilst almost forgotten about will have missed 75%. Too right Arsenal and City look better than us but we have balls of steel. 

• Upvote 1

Might not be much to choose from in terms of best 11 between the three teams. We (surprisingly given what the other two have spent lately) have the deeper squad though, and are reaping the benefits from that, Klopp and Anfield. Those three factors are what will give us the title if we win it.

I think City are less dominant than they’ve been for a while, and rely too much on KdB and Haaland. Should those two fully click again over the last 9 matches they will be tough to stop.

Arsenal are playing an extremely physical style of football lately, which (unfortunately) the refs aren’t clamping down on. They also rely heavily on keeping their 1st 11 intact. If they get a couple of injuries to (Saliba/Gabriel, Rice/Odegaard or Saka they will find the next few weeks might be a stretch too far, as they’ve already pushed their starters to the limit.

I think we are favourites now, and if we win on Sunday, I think we have a REALLY good chance. I still think our toughest game will be against Spurs (possibly Everton away too, as there won’t be much football played in that game), but Spurs will be even tougher for Arsenal and (historically) City.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, No2 said:

Trent, Jones, Alisson, Jota, Endo and Konate have missed 30% of our league games, Robbo has missed half and Matip, whilst almost forgotten about will have missed 75%. Too right Arsenal and City look better than us but we have balls of steel. 

And this is how bad it is, but thiago has missed every minute but 5. 

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Moved to a 16.30 Kick off on Sunday the 5th of May.

So nice of the Sky god to let us peasants know. We can now try to arrange it around our meaningless little lives.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

And this is how bad it is, but thiago has missed every minute but 5. 

And not to mention Bajcetic who was actually our best midfielder for a while last season (low bar, I know).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

Liverpool are the worst of the top 3 but they just keep winning, doing my head in.

Klopp knows this is the maximum he’ll ever get out this squad.

dino bravo

Liverpool are the worst of the top 3 but they just keep winning, doing my head in.

Klopp knows this is the maximum he’ll ever get out this squad.
Fergie left when he knew there was nothing left to squeeze out too. They are not daft.

4 of the 11 that started last night made their Liverpool league debut this season. 

Kelleher played 5 league games before this season.

Nunez is here 20 months.

Diaz is here just over 2 years. 

Elliott and Jones are 21 and 23 years old, respectively. 

Gakpo isn't here 18 months. 

Quansah is a child. 

FFS, where do these guys get off? Morons

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, No2 said:

I looked at this earlier, these are Liverpool players I have in a fantasy team and their injuries this season. 

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0477.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

17 hours ago, niallers said:

2 Chelsea penalties tonight were contentious. Media uproar in favour of United to ensue and what do you think that'll mean? We won't get given a fucking throw in on Sunday.

Didn't see a close up but that late looked nailed on. Dalot(I think) got done and fell over into Madueke

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Didn't see a close up but that late looked nailed on. Dalot(I think) got done and fell over into Madueke

It was really really soft, very little contact if any and mad took another 3 steps before he fell . I was amazed it wasn't changed. It wouldn't have been given by var had the ref not given it.

(Now, given it was against united, it was a cast iron penalty in reality.)

2 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

Do our job and we are champions. It doesn't matter what city or Arsenal do.

And more importantly, it doesn't matter what their fans think. In fact nothing would give me greater joy listening to them complain about us being shit if we are top of the pile after 38 games. 

• Upvote 3

Found this on Reddit, helps to get an idea of the fixture congestion in the run-in.

image.png

For us tomorrow is massive obviously, then it’s two relatively easier games at home where we might be able to get away with our usual low-intensity shenanigans that we see all too frequently.

But then after that we have a run of four consecutive aways, all tricky in their own way, with two days between each one. (Also this format makes it clearer why that West Ham game being moved to 12:30 on the Saturday is a pain in the arse.) Then if we beat Atalanta, which we should, we have yet another European away game on the Thursday after West Ham. 

If we get three points tomorrow, and get through that run of five consecutive aways, we are massive favourites, for me. That is a horrendous run.

Do the other two have runs like that? Well, not really. From next Sunday, Arsenal have a run of four consecutive games with two days between them, but two of them are at home. If they get past Bayern, they have another run of four, but again, two are at home, and the game away at Spurs comes after a four day break. If they get through that first run of four with no injuries they will win all their league games imo. 

Abu Dhabi have a slightly tricky run of four starting on Tuesday against Real Madrid, but there’s an extra day’s rest for them either side of their league game, which is of course at home to

Luton, a team who as well as being shite also have an injury crisis of their own to deal with. Then it’s the FA Cup semi final against Chelsea. After that they get four days rest before the fun really starts, presuming they get past Real Madrid. Starting on the 26th they have five consecutive games with two days between them, same as our hell run, but of course two of theirs are at home. Then they have three days until Fulham away, but that Spurs game in brown probably gets rescheduled after that, so no free week for them going into the final day.

Final day is a guaranteed three points and +7 GD for Arsenal at home to Everton, a significantly trickier but still very winnable home tie for us against Wolves, and an easy victory for Abu Dhabi at home to a West Ham side who either have their flip flops on or are looking forward to a Europa League final (unlikely though). Don’t expect those games to be a factor at all.

City’s run looks the hardest in terms of time between games but they have the easiest fixtures. I’m expecting Arsenal to get past Bayern relatively straightforwardly, and unless they pick up injuries should comfortably win all their league games as well. The biggest hurdle we have after tomorrow is that run of five aways, but that happens sooner than City or Arsenal’s really tough runs, which could work in our favour. Get through the European games with no extra time, scrape three points in all the league games, and it’s all downhill for us from there.

The thing I’ve not mentioned is that City and Arsenal will (imo likely) play each other in the Champions League semi. I actually don’t think it will have much of an effect. Happens too late in the season and the remaining league games are either against teams with nothing to play for or Everton.

On 05/04/2024 at 16:43, Razoray said:

4 of the 11 that started last night made their Liverpool league debut this season. 

Kelleher played 5 league games before this season.

Nunez is here 20 months.

Diaz is here just over 2 years. 

Elliott and Jones are 21 and 23 years old, respectively. 

Gakpo isn't here 18 months. 

Quansah is a child. 

FFS, where do these guys get off? Morons

It's quite spectacular the way he's reached a conclusion that's not just wrong, but is the polar opposite of reality.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If we miss out on the title by the point(s) stolen from us at Spurs, who do we sue, referees or the league?

Sue?? Forget the Liverpool Building, this time we burn down Big Ben

On 05/04/2024 at 12:56, Code said:

We are easily a better team than Arsenal. 

Nah, not much between us at all. They've got the better of us this season too so not sure how we can say we're the better team. There's a tendency to underestimate Arsenal on this forum but the truth is that Arteta has turned them into a winning team. It will be no surprise to me if they end up as champions. They came close last season but have learned from their failure and have improved.

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

Nah, not much between us at all. They've got the better of us this season too so not sure how we can say we're the better team. There's a tendency to underestimate Arsenal on this forum but the truth is that Arteta has turned them into a winning team. It will be no surprise to me if they end up as champions. They came close last season but have learned from their failure and have improved.

This. They’ve taken 4 points off us this season - we had the chance to push them back but instead opened the door for them. 

Now they are efficiently dispatching teams. When you’re 2 / 3 goals up going into the last 10 mins you’re far less likely to drop points (from flukes, unexpected worldies or VAR stupidity) than when you are chasing the game or have a narrow lead. 

This is why efficient teams win titles…