You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

HectorbarbossaPotc.jpg

Between the last page of this thread and the current last page of the Other Football thread there’s some serious cheese-eating surrender monkeyism going on.

Pull yourselves together and straighten your backbones, you craven swines. There’s a league title to be won.

• Upvote 2

On 05/04/2024 at 12:26, 3 Stacks said:

I honestly do think as well we are the 3rd best team, but it hasnt mattered yet. We just know how to win so far. And the gap between sides is not really big. 

And that's not enormously controversial considering we finished 5th last year while these two went head to head most of the season for the title, and one of them won everything.

That we were genuinely title contenders in November pleased and surprised everyone, that we still were, with a trophy in our pocket, in March considering our injuries was even bigger.

That we are still now... we'll fuck who thinks anything... we're in this whether they like it or not.

6 wins and 2 draws , and I think we have a chance. The only potential game city are dropping points is Spurs away , no way they're dropping anywhere else - their games are like training sessions with very little effort or exertion spent. We'll need 90 points to do it , due to the goal difference shortfall. It's a big bloody ask , but if Mo can get his shooting boots on , and pass the fucking thing when a team mate is in a better position we might just do it .

I think 2 draws kills us. Arsenal are the team to fear. They are the best in Europe at limiting chances against them and can score for fun. We win every game we win the league we drop a point and Arsenal will win it in my opinion. I mean there's always hope, hope that they fuck up but it doesn't seem likely. The only route to lifting the prem in my eyes is 8 more wins. Draw today and win the rest we lose on goal difference.

Arsenal haven’t been in this position before.

They blew it last season with no European football. 

This season they have Bayern Munich to play twice and potentially Real Madrid or Man City. They will be incredibly draining.

Us and City have been here be here before (league & CL & cups) in the run in. Arsenal haven’t. 

Don’t get me wrong, they are better than last season. Rice has been very good. They don’t have the biggest squad, they haven’t rotated much all season, this is uncharted waters for them. I’m not writing them off, I still see City as the main contenders. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think 2 draws kills us. Arsenal are the team to fear. They are the best in Europe at limiting chances against them and can score for fun. We win every game we win the league we drop a point and Arsenal will win it in my opinion. I mean there's always hope, hope that they fuck up but it doesn't seem likely. The only route to lifting the prem in my eyes is 8 more wins. Draw today and win the rest we lose on goal difference.

Where do you see Manchester City dropping points? Tottenham? Looking at the fixtures, they look to have by far and away the easiest run-in, in my opinion.

We hadn't been there before until we were. Injuries to key players could stop them but I don't see game fatigue doing it. 

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

Where do you see Manchester City dropping points? Tottenham? Looking at the fixtures, they look to have by far and away the easiest run-in, in my opinion.

I'm not looking at City because I don't see Arsenal dropping points. 

Look anything could happen this is just my opinion of what I think will happen. I just think Arsenal are too good, they have the bit between their teeth and fuck me they are riding a wave of good fortune. We win every game and it makes everything they do a moot point anyway, i reckon that's what we have to do.

I hope to fuck more than anything Arsenal drop points and my posts get pulled.

CL football will take then lot of energy, physically and mentally.

Not saying they won’t cope but it’s a big challenge for them.

Let’s win all our games and theres no issue then.

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

CL football will take then lot of energy, physically and mentally.

Not saying they won’t cope but it’s a big challenge for them.

Let’s win all our games and theres no issue then.

As far as I know we are also involved in an european tournament. Based on Klopp’s team selection in earlier rounds there is no reason to believe that he will rest key players in the QF or SF.

And we play thursdays, which is no advantage in relation to the league matches.

We have just as big challenge as them.

I mean...

On 02/01/2024 at 14:41, TD_LFC said:

Our profligacy upfront has led to us drawing the most games, only Brighton have drawn as many as us in the top 10 and in this league with the margins we play too draws are almost as bad as losses.

Luckily we're top because City and Arsenal are losing more than us but if I had to guess how this second half of the season will play out it will be City going on their traditional run of stringing a number of wins together and us and Arsenal will be leap frogging each other as results play out with City ultimately clinching the league and whoever draws the fewer games finishing second.

The issue in goal scoring isn't in the number of goals we score overall it's the number of crucial chances we take that would convert a draw to a loss, Luton, for example, Trent's against Arsenal.

Those individual moments that define a season where a top player put's them away and the team find a way to win that we lack without Jota or Salah.

...still drawing too many and not putting away our chances.

(Although I think Arsenal might sneak it now).

19 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

We need to be going all out to win by 5 or 6 in every game now. Arsenal won’t drop any more points, so we need to do something sensational on goal difference.

You’re forgetting City who are home to Luton this weekend. We are only 2 goals ahead of them

3 minutes ago, Dave D said:

You’re forgetting City who are home to Luton this weekend. We are only 2 goals ahead of them

But they’re a point behind us so it’s not the issue at the moment.

Let's say Arsenal and City will drop points. Alright. 

Does anyone really think we will get through those aways we have unscathed based on how we're playing? That will take beyond a herculean effort. We needed to win this to show we could do it.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Although it doesn’t feel like that now, that point is the point  that will win us the title.

Naive bullshit. Are you willing to bet on that?