You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Alonso, Frank, Amorim, De Zerbi, Diniz (Just because I'm curious what would happen).

My shortlist done*

*Might not be done

Does anyone actually know how sporting Lisbon play? 

Plus, the Portugese are a bit "whingy" aren't they. 

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Does anyone actually know how sporting Lisbon play? 

Plus, the Portugese are a bit "whingy" aren't they. 

He's only in their to see if the long bet pays off.

On 14/08/2022 at 14:47, TD_LFC said:

Cheers, good to see Goncalves back then.

Interesting to see how long Amorim stays at Sporting and where he goes next, did well in his first (?) season and didn't do too badly last season either.

• Like 1

Woke up - saw a list of potential managers - quite uninspired, besides Alonso. Obviously Gerrard is on the list - but that would be a disaster. 

I hope Klopp is involved in the selection - is there anyone at the club who could be trusted with the decision?

He isn't ready yet but been really impressed with Gary O'Neil, he got a 40% win rate with a Wolves side that got decimated in the summer. Sold off 130ml worth of talent and he spent 60ml replacing them and he didn't even get the job till halfway through the window and only a few free signings came in. Lost Neto for a chunk of games, Level points with Newcastle and 2 behind Chelsea after starting with 2 losses that happened within 10 days of him getting the job. Was very unlucky to lose at the mancs after the PGMOL mob fucked them over. Beat City,Spurs and Chelsea

As i said he isn't ready for that step up yet but looks like he is becoming a good coach

Coaches' Voice | Gary O’Neil tactics and style of play (coachesvoice.com)

31 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

I've seen this cat suggested on Twitter I've never heard of him till about 20 minutes ago 

Screenshot_20240127-000956_Chrome.jpg

Fuck sake it was bad enough seeing players i remember breaking through as kids retiring and working in the media and manager that's younger than me though. Fuck i'm getting old

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure about Alonso.

I feel like we obviously romantiscise the idea of an ex player coming back but it rarely works out.

It's such an incredibly hard job now. Not only are you following Klopp but you're up against at least six or seven teams that are pushing for the Champions league.

There's nobody even close to the present day Klopp or even a 2015 Klopp.

7 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

To keep in with the sites rules and regs, and as a general curtesy - has Tony’s Ma, been considered for the post yet?

Heard she closely considered many posts

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'm not sure about Alonso.

I feel like we obviously romantiscise the idea of an ex player coming back but it rarely works out.

It's such an incredibly hard job now. Not only are you following Klopp but you're up against at least six or seven teams that are pushing for the Champions league.

There's nobody even close to the present day Klopp or even a 2015 Klopp.

I don't have a problem with an ex-player being given the job, as long as they aren't given the job because they're an ex-player.

If Alonso had never played for Liverpool, or even had never played at all, he'd still be talked about as one of the best young managers out there based on what he's done at Leverkusen. It's not like Gerrard where he did well his first few years at Rangers and then has been mediocre ever since. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't have a problem with an ex-player being given the job, as long as they aren't given the job because they're an ex-player.

If Alonso had never played for Liverpool, or even had never played at all, he'd still be talked about as one of the best young managers out there based on what he's done at Leverkusen. It's not like Gerrard where he did well his first few years at Rangers and then has been mediocre ever since. 

The problem here is timeframe though. You can pick and choose. If you pick a timeframe that's just after Gerrard won the Scottish league with Rangers, he had two successful years to start his managerial, people would say it's the logical progression. The timing has meant we were able to wait in order to see Gerrard fail after that. The timeframe means we aren't going to see what Alonso does after two successful years to start his managerial career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dundalis said:

The problem here is timeframe though. You can pick and choose. If you pick a timeframe that's just after Gerrard won the Scottish league with Rangers, he had two successful years to start his managerial, people would say it's the logical progression. The timing has meant we were able to wait in order to see Gerrard fail after that. The timeframe means we aren't going to see what Alonso does after two successful years to start his managerial career.

I hear you on the similar timelines, but having Leverkusen where they are in the Bundesliga is a lot different than winning the league at Rangers in what has been a two horse race since I started following football 24 or so years ago (fuck that makes me feel old), other than when Rangers got relegated for whatever it was they got punished for.

I always thought Gerrard was stepping up too early in the first place, but I think a natural progression from the Scottish League is the Championship at best and you could honestly make a case for league one even. I don’t know what kind of football his Rangers side were playing because it’s not an easy league to follow in America and I couldn’t be bothered to find a stream, at Villa though he went full pragmatic shithouse and it went predictably bad for him after not too long. I would imagine he wouldn’t try that here but since he’s not been anywhere of note since then it’s hard to say and on merit he certainly hasn’t shown he deserves the opportunity as a manager. 

As far as who I want to take over Klopp’s position, I simply don’t have enough knowledge on the current state of football managers. Of the “Big Names” only Ancelotti and Zidane move the needle for me, the former having just re-upped with Real Madrid and the latter seemingly only interested in managing if Real Madrid need him to. Everyone else would be an unknown at a club like Liverpool, so that’s what makes me lean towards Alonso more than any idea of his style of management, football, or his current resume. 

2 hours ago, Dundalis said:

Even when Gerrard won the league with Rangers there was some skepticism, didn't he have a horrendous record of 1 trophy in 10 or something (although did have that run in europe as well) and transfers (which you couldn't really attribute solely to him) were scatter gun at best prioritising quantity over quality.

The Bundesliga is a whole other beast to the Scottish Prem because while you could argue it's a one horse race league (which makes Leverkusen's position all the better) there are still a number of clubs below that who far eclipse the Scottish League in terms of quality and talent.

6 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Turns out there's not a lot of top echelon managers out there these days.

Though this is what happens when through a combination of state sportswashing and champions league top positions and trophies are monopolised, numerous leagues across Europe and (to a lesser extent) cup competitions are decided before a ball is kicked.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I’m not against Alonso but what has he achieved beyond having a good season this season? Was last year good too? Has he made successful signings etc or is he just flavour of the month? I honestly don’t know.

Last season he joined them when they were 17th and finished the season in 6th, this season he's taken that side to 4 points clear of Bayern and are unbeaten in the league (15 wins 3 draws) and won all their games in the Europa league groups on a a 12 million net spend (net spend bollocks aside) losing Diaby in the process.

Not won anything, could all go wrong in the next 4 months but he's getting massive praise for both the results and tactics/style of play.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Though this is what happens when through a combination of state sportswashing and champions league top positions and trophies are monopolised, numerous leagues across Europe and (to a lesser extent) cup competitions are decided before a ball is kicked.

Yeah that’s right.

Ideally we would be looking for someone who has won a decent league at a club that is not at a massive financial advantage, shown they can challenge in Europe and also play a similar style of football to Klopp.

The German, French, Spanish leagues have all been hollowed out so their second tier clubs have no chance, bar maybe Atletico Madrid.  In a season or two Xabi might be ideal, or the Sporting fella. Bit early for both of them, so it is either risk one of those, or someone like De Zerbi who had been decent in the Prem, has experienced other leagues but not won anything at the top level.

27 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I’m not against Alonso but what has he achieved beyond having a good season this season? Was last year good too? Has he made successful signings etc or is he just flavour of the month? I honestly don’t know.

Leverkusen were 2nd from bottom when he took over in early October. They won only one of their first four matches under Alonso but then won 38 points in 17 games. They then fell off a cliff at the end of the season drawing 3 and losing 2 of the final 5 games, but 4th (Champions League) was unattainable at that stage, so there wasn't much to play for. They lost the semi-final of the Europa League to a Mourinho masterclass (dourfest) 1-0.

This season they have won 15 and drawn 3 (to Bayern, 3rd placed Stuttgart and 5th placed Dortmund) from 18 games in the league. They have scored 50 goals and conceded just 14.

He has achieved this while spending just £22m net. He speaks three languages which would help.

He just seems the real deal.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Leverkusen were 2nd from bottom when he took over in early October. They won only one of their first four matches under Alonso but then won 38 points in 17 games. They then fell off a cliff at the end of the season drawing 3 and losing 2 of the final 5 games, but 4th (Champions League) was unattainable at that stage, so there wasn't much to play for. They lost the semi-final of the Europa League to a Mourinho masterclass (dourfest) 1-0.

This season they have won 15 and drawn 3 (to Bayern, 3rd placed Stuttgart and 5th placed Dortmund) from 18 games in the league. They have scored 50 goals and conceded just 14.

He has achieved this while spending just £22m net. He speaks three languages which would help.

He just seems the real deal.

And let's be honest, he's worked with the best managers of the best twenty g years. Bar klopp. 

He's the new guardiola.