You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

7 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

I don't want de Zerbi. Brighton are wide open to the counter by any shit team that wants to play deep and break on them and it's a weakness that's never improved.

He's not the level we need. Other than Xabi nobody is really other than maybe Tuchel.

Whoever it will be will be some steps down on Jurgen.

he can barely win the league with Bayern munich ffs, no thanks. He's a poundland klopp 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Is that a personnel issue or a tactical issue?

We've looked as wide open during points in Klopps tenure because the players we had available weren't capable of it.

It's hard to say for certain.

I just think that Brighton come up against a low block less regularly than we do and are easily ripped apart when they do.

He'd have it nearly every week here and I wouldn't be willing to risk it just being the players.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

The backroom team also leaving would suggest that it’s a done deal.

I wouldn't read much into that. Lijnders has always had an ambition to be a manager himself so he has no reasons to hang around after Klopp. We are not going to give the job to him. 

Krawietz has been with Klopp pretty much everywhere so its not a surprise that he is also leaving. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

If Real went for Xabi now, would anyone here raise an eyebrow if we appointed Carlo for 2 years ?

no issue what so ever, great manager, and apparently a great guy to. 

But didnt Alonso say in an interview recently that he still sees Liverpool as his second home, ahead of Madrid, oddly enough

8 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

It's hard to say for certain.

I just think that Brighton come up against a low block less regularly than we do and are easily ripped apart when they do.

He'd have it nearly every week here and I wouldn't be willing to risk it just being the players.

I'm not advocating for De Zerbi by the way, just that given very few managers are going to compare to Klopp, and even some of those with comparable records we wouldn't want, so looking for the 'perfect' replacement means we probably won't find anyone.

Every manager we are linked too, and the manager we eventually appoint, will have deficiencies in their game (even more so the younger/less experienced we go) and it's just something that you hope can be developed or covered with astute staff hires until they grow into the manager they are going to be.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Can we not clone Jurgen and have Juurgen Klopp, Liverpool manager? 

Exactly. With the current management pool of talent, the way the game is (oil cheats) and the way the club is run (tight purse strings), he's irreplaceable.

Just now, rubble-rouser said:

Defensive minded. Not right for this squad 

Whoever comes in will want his own players and have their own tactics. Some players will be shown the door and others recruited. 

Wouldn't be broken hearted if Diaby was signed for instance. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see director of football/sporting director the first appointment made after this news and they'll then be involved in the managerial appointment.

Whether that then hints towards a future manager (or whether FSG will just consult them on their decision as part of the recruitment process) remains to be seen.

EDIT - Looks like that point has already been made.

It isn't going to be someone with lots of experience who would only ever be here for two or three years, and it isn't going to be someone who is better than Klopp. The latter, obviously, is impossible. 

It's probably a bit raw to be accepting that yet, but people shooting down De Zerbi or whoever else for not having won 12 league titles, or not having the personality of Klopp, are going to continue to be very disappointed.

Alonso is the obvious choice. Thiago Motta would be my slightly left field choice should Alonso not be available.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

no issue what so ever, great manager, and apparently a great guy to. 

But didnt Alonso say in an interview recently that he still sees Liverpool as his second home, ahead of Madrid, oddly enough

The weather in Tolosa is probably more like Liverpool than Madrid.

7 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Fucking cunt cheats city robbed Jurgen of 2 league titles. They are a cancer and need to be kicked out of the league.

they also robbed Utd of 2 titles, 

that often gets overlooked

ive been thinking alot about this city situation recently, and you know what, fuck them, give us the leagues we where robbed of, and as much as it pains me to say it, the mancs deserve 2 as well. 

Back on topic. 

it must be Alonso 

12 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Fucking cunt cheats city robbed Jurgen of 2 league titles. They are a cancer and need to be kicked out of the league.

This is my overriding thought at the minute. If he wasnt up against cheats would he be happier? Almost certainly. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

he can barely win the league with Bayern munich ffs, no thanks. He's a poundland klopp 

He's definitely not the perfect answer but at least he has big club experience and has won the Champions League.

Also, any Bayern team would be struggling against what Leverkusen have done so far this season.

2 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

He's definitely not the perfect answer but at least he has big club experience and has won the Champions League.

Also, any Bayern team would be struggling against what Leverkusen have done so far this season.

but he's a prick. 

thats all you need to know. 

22 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It isn't going to be someone with lots of experience who would only ever be here for two or three years, and it isn't going to be someone who is better than Klopp. The latter, obviously, is impossible. 

It's probably a bit raw to be accepting that yet, but people shooting down De Zerbi or whoever else for not having won 12 league titles, or not having the personality of Klopp, are going to continue to be very disappointed.

Alonso is the obvious choice. Thiago Motta would be my slightly left field choice should Alonso not be available.

It's definitely going to be a hard act to follow for whoever comes in, a lot of players with a big wedge of loyalty to Klopp to.

Alonso is number 1 for me but given the lure of Real Madrid I can easily see him headed that way so am not getting my hopes up in that respect.

RDZ isn't a terrible shout, has a pretty cool personality(albeit still uses a translator for a lot of his stuff) and he's also on record as saying he doesn't like 80% of prem refs so yah know.... I would however question his will to stick it out if things dont entirely work out for him in reasonably short order.

If you want a left field pick from me, Luciano Spalletti might be a good shout.