You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

De Zerbi for me. I think sometimes its better for someone completely fresh and new, we don't want to get carried away with nostalgic appointments, lets not forget Klopp had no connection with the club and how its turned out.

Everything i've read about De Zerbi fits the bill. He knows the league, has premier league managerial experience, a young hungry manager, an obsessive coach who demands alot from his players, great on the training pitch and tactically very smart. People speak very well about him and alot say he is going to the top of the game. 

I think he'd be perfect for us and have the fire inside of him to make it a success

Alonso. He played for some of the greatest clubs in the world and has shown every indication of developing into an intelligent manager. That he has a link to the club is meaningful too, but only in addition to his skill set. 

I’m sure he’s decent in his own right, but I wouldn’t go near De Zerbi. I think Brighton is a system club - several high profile players have struggled since leaving, and Potter was a disaster at Chelsea.

Klopp is a historic manager and there is no such person available, even though people will make Xabi out to be that person. 

The body of work even if he wins the league this season is small, Leverkusen arent really a big club so a move to Liverpool would be a big adjustment and the styles of football are pretty different. Xabi seems like a possession based manager so far. 

He should be a top candidate, thats for sure. None of it is a slam dunk, though, which speaks to the quality of Klopp and his irreplaceable nature. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, etho said:

I feel guilty even thinking about this right now but the club are surely doing it already. Alonso is the only person with the gravitas to do it

It's always dangerous getting attached to one potential manager because if that doesn't happen you're already having to be won over by who does get appointed but Alonso seems FSG's safest bet.

He has an emerging reputation as one of the best young managers around and is taking it to Germany's biggest, most powerful and most financially dominant club.

He's also a person the club and fan's have a lot of admiration for as a former player and would be an easy sell by FSG to the fans.

There's a few managers that fall in to one or the other category, he's almost certainly the only one who satisfies both even if it is early on in his career.

3 minutes ago, Goldnotgreen said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Emery on here. Top operator. 

As a functional replacement that can handle following Klopp, yeah. A long term option, I doubt it.

Tactically excellent, would work well with the players here but not sure he'd be arsed about the younger players and as the Klopp team changes and fades, he'd get blamed.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Christ, it’s going to be fucking Alonso…

Come on Johnny, imagine the internet feuds we can all get into again. 

It’s gonna be great, coupled with pro FSG/ anti FSG battles this could be as good for the forum as bringing back the ART. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

you'd imagine Xabi Alonso is extremely high on the list, possibly even the first choice. 

Plus, isnt he rumoured to have a clause in his contract where he can leave if Liverpool come in for him? could be bollox of course. 

of other candidates. 

There's probably a few left field choices, the head coach of union st gauliose in Belgium is an option, young guy, plays good football. 

De Zerbi, has done great work at every club he's managed at,

Arne Slot at Feyenoord, won the league with them, but it is only the dutch league, but again, another "option" 

Simone Inzaghi at Inter, he's done great work in Italy

Id imagine there's some other guys in Portugal, but ive no idea who they are, i cant say i watch the portugese league. 

I don't want de Zerbi. Brighton are wide open to the counter by any shit team that wants to play deep and break on them and it's a weakness that's never improved.

He's not the level we need. Other than Xabi nobody is really other than maybe Tuchel.

Whoever it will be will be some steps down on Jurgen.

• Like 1

It's similar to the who replaces Salah question, the simple answer is if you're comparing records then nobody, realistically attainable, does and there's always a reason why A or B isn't going to be suitable if you try and draw a direct comparison.

As good as Klopp and Salah are now, neither were that player/manager when they first signed (Klopp was closer) so you have to do your best to identify the manager you think can get there and accept that no replacement will be immediately perfect.

5 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

I don't want de Zerbi. Brighton are wide open to the counter by any shit team that wants to play deep and break on them and it's a weakness that's never improved.

He's not the level we need. Other than Xabi nobody is really other than maybe Tuchel.

Whoever it will be will be some steps down on Jurgen.

Is that a personnel issue or a tactical issue?

We've looked as wide open during points in Klopps tenure because the players we had available weren't capable of it.