You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dodged a bullet with Moises Caicedo / Code says he's bang average

an tha

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bellingham might have told us that he wanted Madrid over us. Or his knee really is fucked. Who knows.

I mentioned in the Bellingham thread that he is sponsored by adidas and so are Real Madrid,currently. To 'cross brand' is a major obstacle in the corporate sports world nowadays and reserved for an elite few. In my limited view,I think this played a big role in us not ultimately signing him,or being more aggressive at least.

9 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

An additional bonus is the established understanding he already has with Mac Allister.

Brazil

Argentina

Columbia 

Ecuador

Uruguay

Just get a Bolivian and a Chilean signed now.

Téo does not like this 

Screenshot_20230811_085430_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Masterbate to this too

The guy is an absolute beast. Refuses to be beaten and has an arrogance about him that nobody will get past him or away from him. Good on the ball too. He would transform us.

While obviously a totally different player and position, not least because he doesnt mind getting his shorts dirty, he reminds me of prime Van Dijk, in two ways.

He seems to be a step ahead in his head, in that he knows where the ball is going to and plays looking comfortable. 

Likes a 50-50 challenge because he is confident he will out-muscle, almost bully, the opponent. 

Are people afraid of the press being beaten and players running unopposed at our backline anymore? A beast

3 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Went to bed early last night and just woke up to this, frankly I'm fuming.

I had him in my fantasy football team along with 3 Liverpool players already. Now I'm going to have to tweak my team today on the chance he signs for us and makes my team ineligible.

MWTS is repeating the @Chris rant about Schmadke all morning while we are all doing the Van Damme dance

I'm actually stunned by this. Where on earth has this bid come from? The club were messing Southampton around over a matter of a few million quid and suddenly they've found £110M for Caicedo? Bonkers. It's a shit ton of money, I'm not sure if he's worth it but if Klopp wants him then that's all that matters. I'm just relieved FSG have got their wallet out at last. 

• Upvote 1

Bellingham getting mentioned a fair bit when we’re on the verge of signing another very good young midfielder. Some people are never happy. 

Wasn't any chance of signing Bellingham dead in the water the minute that we failed to secure Champions League football? From a financial point of view (we didn’t have the additional financial leeway that Fabinho and Henderson leaving gave us at the time that Bellingham was sold) and from Bellingham’s personal ambitions? (I think he’d have considered us as his new club if we’d have got CL rather than Europa League)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Bellingham getting mentioned a fair bit when we’re on the verge of signing another very good young midfielder. Some people are never happy. 

Wasn't any chance of signing Bellingham dead in the water the minute that we failed to secure Champions League football? From a financial point of view (we didn’t have the additional financial leeway that Fabinho and Henderson leaving gave us at the time that Bellingham was sold) and from Bellingham’s personal ambitions? (I think he’d have considered us as his new club if we’d have got CL rather than Europa League)

Agreed, Bellingham may have let on that Real were his first choice.

I think it was also the additional agent/father fees and high wages that meant that it wasn't worth it as a package over the course of the contract. 

If we had bought Bellingham, maybe we would have £40/50m (and that's with Henderson and Fabinho money)  to supplement him and the club felt that we needed more than that.

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

From a lefty punk-folk poet and Albion fan.

Screenshot_2023-08-11-09-00-48-17_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Better than Lothar Matthaus or Patrick Viera? Or has he not seen them play yet?

Bellingham chose Real Madrid, very few players are going to turn down the most successful CL team and this years CL winners who will again play in the competition this year and will also always be competing for the league/trophies, especially when they are also offering a mountain of wages and signing on fees.

The only part of not signing him that annoyed me was the very public pursuit/keeping our powder dry stance for the entirety of last season, I think the club always had the necessary fee and enough wiggle room for a big wage for the lad but not the amount RM will have offered him and especially not the amount extra in 'agent' fees and addons.

If/when we get this deal for Caicedo over the line I think it'll prove to be a really solid midfield rebuild, plenty of youth and plenty of legs. Hopefully there is still some pennies for a defensive reinforcement but I suspect this will be the last of our business.

52 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I agree that we’ve been all over the place, but I’d have taken the two Brighton lads over Bellingham anyway and we also have Szloboszlai. Crazy window with proven quality over quantity. 

Fair point. 3 quality additions. Can't complain with that.

17 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I'm actually stunned by this. Where on earth has this bid come from? The club were messing Southampton around over a matter of a few million quid and suddenly they've found £110M for Caicedo? Bonkers. It's a shit ton of money, I'm not sure if he's worth it but if Klopp wants him then that's all that matters. I'm just relieved FSG have got their wallet out at last. 

Was a different kind of sale by the sounds of it. 

Usually you have a couple of teams and players flirting with each other for months before you can actually make any progress, this time around by the sounds of it Brighton just announced an auction which was weird in itself so we've seen an opportunity to grab something we need without any drama and we've ended up throwing in the highest bid. 

Have to admit, I've had a few too many beers and bought random shit off ebay a fair few times, wonder if Jörg is nursing a hangover this morning. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Was a different kind of sale by the sounds of it. 

Usually you have a couple of teams and players flirting with each other for months before you can actually make any progress, this time around by the sounds of it Brighton just announced an auction which was weird in itself so we've seen an opportunity to grab something we need without any drama and we've ended up throwing in the highest bid. 

Have to admit, I've had a few too many beers and bought random shit off ebay a fair few times, wonder if Jörg is nursing a hangover this morning. 

I think Klopp had enough after the embarrassing Lavia situation and told FSG to stop messing around or he's off. That scared the shit out of them, hence this surprisingly huge bid that came out of nowhere!

3 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I will relax when its done and dusted 

Same. After all we have not agreed personal terms yet, and I assume that Chelsea offer far bigger wages. Besides that he has expressed a preference for Chelsea earlier. If we get this over the line it wil be because of the atttraction of playing under Klopp.

• dave u changed the title to Dodged a bullet with Moises Caicedo / Code says he's bang average