You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dominik Szoboszlai - Welcome to Liverpool

Megadrive Man

Felt a bit sorry for him yesterday, the effort was there, the running at times prolific, but he picked the wrong final pass every single time. Frustrating to watch, you could see what was coming.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mook said:

Plenty players being called out today so worth pointing out he was absolutely fucking turgid.

I reckon this thread would get bumped a lot more if people could spell his name.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Judge said:

Dom has a fantastic potential, and he has shown it in glimpses.

I think the recent dip in form is about confidence. It will turn.

He is NOT our problem now.

has he gone already?

28 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

We would have probably won yesterday had Harvey started instead of Dom.

i suspect we wouldn’t have controlled the first half like we did, nor would we have scored any more goals. 

We could have controlled the first half with you playing instead of Dom. They didn't have a fucking midfield.

Dom for Elliott seems such an utter irrelevance when our forwards pissed away about 20 chances in a game we should have won about five or six nil.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

We could have controlled the first half with you playing instead of Dom. They didn't have a fucking midfield.

Dom for Elliott seems such an utter irrelevance when our forwards pissed away about 20 chances in a game we should have won about five or six nil.

Szoboszlai was the one who wasted our biggest chances though. 

57 minutes ago, stringvest said:

i suspect we wouldn’t have controlled the first half like we did, nor would we have scored any more goals. 

We would have. Easily. We just passed the ball around them, they were chasing shadows and Elliott would not have wasted so many passes as Dom did and Elliott's balls into the box are very good.

55 minutes ago, Code said:

Szoboszlai was the one who wasted our biggest chances though. 

That was your man Mo, but Szobo was a close second. Szobo actually produced the one effort that troubled their keeper and forced him into a good save though, so there's that.

I actually thought he was pretty good yesterday, barring the missed chances. He was a Nunez cutback away from scoring a certain goal after outpacing the entire Utd midfield with the ball at his feet. He played a sensible pass to Salah, who gave it to Diaz, who put Darwin in. One ounce of calmness in Darwin's head and that is a red arrows-style Liverpool counterattack for the ages.

I love Harvey, but if I'm honest he fits the sub role much better than the starting role. When the other players are tiring, his lack of pace and physicality isn't as visible as when everyone is fresh and firing.

I can’t fault his effort and his work rate but his decision making and care with a pass drives me nuts. There’s a really good player in there, but he has to show it. 

13 minutes ago, bossy said:

I can’t fault his effort and his work rate but his decision making and care with a pass drives me nuts. There’s a really good player in there, but he has to show it. 

His most apparent strength is also his weakness I think. His shooting and long-passing technique is based on the knuckle-ball striking of the ball. I hate it, but it does produce a wonder-goal now and then.

His pressing and running with the ball in open space should be something we will prosper from in the long run.

I think he steps up massively if Mo does chose to move on in the summer. 

I would stick him in one of the winger/10 players that Amorim has played with at Sporting, Pedro Gonçalves was superb under him in his first season winning the league. I could see him paired with Diaz playing off Darwin. It will free him up more like he gets with Hungary who play in a 3421 with Szoboszlai playing as one of the 2

6 hours ago, lebron said:

I actually thought he was pretty good yesterday, barring the missed chances. He was a Nunez cutback away from scoring a certain goal after outpacing the entire Utd midfield with the ball at his feet. He played a sensible pass to Salah, who gave it to Diaz, who put Darwin in. One ounce of calmness in Darwin's head and that is a red arrows-style Liverpool counterattack for the ages.

I love Harvey, but if I'm honest he fits the sub role much better than the starting role. When the other players are tiring, his lack of pace and physicality isn't as visible as when everyone is fresh and firing.

I thought Diaz should've shot that ball anyway rather than play it to Nunez. I do agree that Nunez should've got his head up to see Dom but the angle was tight and at this point everyone on the team should know Nunez isn't really a think first player so just have a shot yourself. Ironically I do think Nunez thought the angle was too tight mid-strike which is why he's missed the target completely rather than hitting the keeper or the bar.

As far as Dom's overall performance, while not at the levels he was displaying early in the season I thought it was a good game overall really. He's capable and willing to run at the defense through the middle or whichever wing he's ask to work towards and he's energy is apparent even when his passing and shooting are off a bit. I think he picks his moments to try to more audacious long efforts better than most who have/are building a reputation as someone who can score from range as well. I wouldn't have subbed him personally but without Jota available I can see the logic of keeping Diaz on over Dom because Gakpo hasn't shown the ability to do what Diaz does on the wing, and Nunez fades more than Diaz does when they both start. Putting Elliot as an outright forward is a non-starter when we're chasing a game in my opinion and he doesn't play on the left anyway.