You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dominik Szoboszlai - Welcome to Liverpool

Megadrive Man

He was brilliant when he first came over. Exactly what we’d been missing on our right hand side. Positive passing, ability to keep getting past the oppo lb and get a good cross in and having shots from distance. He gave one of the best midfield displays I’ve seen from one of our players in years when he stepped into the no 6 away at wolves. Absolute masterclass.

Then all of a sudden he stopped all that nonsense and became another humdrum midfielder. The injury hasn’t helped but if we start using him like we did at the start it could galvanise us for the run in. This version certainly wont.

I thought his substitution hurt us on Sunday and contributed to them getting back in the game. I thought he played very well and we lost his physical presence in midfield. Removing both him and Salah around the same time handed United more hope than they deserved.

• Upvote 1

My suspicion, and its a nice suspicion rather than a sinister one, is that he arrived way fitter than everyone else to settle in quick and make a good impression. His energy levels were off up charts the first 2 months of the season and maybe that contributed to him getting injured. The Premier league stresses and that early exertion may have caused his injury and loss of form.

As long as he still works as hard as he does, he'll get back to where he was.

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought his substitution hurt us on Sunday and contributed to them getting back in the game. I thought he played very well and we lost his physical presence in midfield. Removing both him and Salah around the same time handed United more hope than they deserved.

Yes, completely agree.

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

I think both subs were planned. I do think Clark was the wrong call later on though, would have brought Danns on.

I still think Clark is way off myself. Excellent prospect but looks less of a threat than his fellow Youth recruits. McConnell seems very tactically aware and Danns seems to pose a goal threat. I'm not sure Clark even knows how he should play.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow start but started really smoking in that second half.

Don’t know we’ve seen all 3 of Endo, Macca and Dom gel in the same match, but it could be something in the run in as the form comes together.

His running power is unbelievable, he looks like a high calibre 400m sprinter. When you put that together with his high work ethic, it's a big advantage to us. Yesterday, he unsettled their build up with his pressing several times.

I personally think we are wasting his attackingvtalent at the moment. But the disruption due to injuries might also be the cause of that. He always looks a good runner,great engine and work rate but he's so much more than that for Hungary and Leipzig. 

I’d like us to try and get him into more shooting positions as he’s got a tremendous dig on him.
Nothing more unsettling for a defence/goalkeeper than to work their bollocks off trying to defend spaces and yet still see shots flying in.

He started out like a house on fire,

strutting around like a scouse danny dyer,

but since the early season bliss,

something has been a miss,

injury might have played a part,

we all know he's a nailed on start,

because he strikes the ball like a fucking dart,

running around is his absolute forte,

only ben white has hair more gay.

55 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

I’d like us to try and get him into more shooting positions as he’s got a tremendous dig on him.
Nothing more unsettling for a defence/goalkeeper than to work their bollocks off trying to defend spaces and yet still see shots flying in.

He was probably in good shooting positions 3 times yesterday and fluffed it each time. So we're getting him in the right places, he just needs to improve his execution, which will probably come with games after the injury. 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I personally think we are wasting his attackingvtalent at the moment. But the disruption due to injuries might also be the cause of that. He always looks a good runner,great engine and work rate but he's so much more than that for Hungary and Leipzig. 

Kind of sounds a bit like what we said about Wijnaldum for a while. He's just got different responsibilities in our set up, but I think the attacking quality will start to shine through soon. I think playing midfield for us is so much about the pressing and the defensive side of things, it takes players a while to fully get that so that's where their focus is. It looks like he's got that side of it nailed down though and he might explode over the next couple of months.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

Kind of sounds a bit like what we said about Wijnaldum for a while. He's just got different responsibilities in our set up, but I think the attacking quality will start to shine through soon. I think playing midfield for us is so much about the pressing and the defensive side of things, it takes players a while to fully get that so that's where their focus is. It looks like he's got that side of it nailed down though and he might explode over the next couple of months.

Yeah I've no worries we will see more from him. And depending on who the new manager is and what happens with Mo I wouldn't be shocked seeing him playing on the right or as a pair of wingers/10s behind the front man next year. 

On 01/04/2024 at 19:46, dave u said:

Wouldn't surprise me either, especially if Trent moves full time into midfield.

When he is fit, I think Trent should be looking at Dom’s role. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

He’s been annoying me recently. I think Elliott should start ahead of him on Thursday and Sunday. 

He has been poor lately but starting Elliott is never the solution.  Put Trent in there when he’s fit

10 minutes ago, stringvest said:

He has been poor lately but starting Elliott is never the solution.  Put Trent in there when he’s fit

I know he’s been better off the bench, Elliott has been really good recently.

He’s been offering more than Szoboszlai. He deserves the opportunity. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I know he’s been better off the bench, Elliott has been really good recently.

He’s been offering more than Szoboszlai. He deserves the opportunity. 

Elliott off the bench for me everytime