You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This missing mini sub

Section_31

3 minutes ago, redheart said:

Imagine you are in that sub with your son.

You have four days air. After 3 days you realise that you are going to die there.

What would you say to or talk about with your son?

Beans on a fry up, yes or no.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, redheart said:

You have four days air. After 3 days you realise that you are going to die there.

I think there’d be a lot of apologising for putting your son in unnecessary risk in a substandard tin can on a vanity trip. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, redheart said:

Promise me, son
Not to do the things I've done
Walk away from trouble if you can
It won't mean you're weak
If you turn the other cheek
I hope you're old enough to understand
Son, you don't have to fight to be a man.

1 hour ago, redheart said:

At least we’re not evertonians 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

Totally grim scenario but a fucking stupid idea in the first place. 

Rich twats thinking they can do anything.  Just hope they didn't suffer too badly. 

It's an incredibly short amount of time to start pretending you're religious when you think about it.

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The lack of any safety or back up rescue plan seems beyond belief.

Well, the rescue plan was that there's multiple contingencies for error, 6 or 7,  including it raising itself to the surface, I think something catastrophic happened half way down meaning the whole thing has been compromised.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Well, the rescue plan was that there's multiple contingencies for error, 6 or 7,  including it raising itself to the surface, I think something catastrophic happened half way down meaning the whole thing has been compromised.

So the drop ship/boat vessel wasn't in direct communication in multiple ways and over the top,roughly,of the launch site?

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So the drop ship/boat vessel wasn't in direct communication in multiple ways and over the top,roughly,of the launch site?

I don't know Vlad, what I meant was the vessel itself had multiple ways of avoiding disaster including automated procedures, so why have none of them been able to be used, at the depth it was going I don't think any kind of surface rescue is possible.

Stig has been unusually quiet on this thread given his background, which leads me to believe he spent his submarine career not paying attention to the ballast tanks and whatnot, but hiding in the wireless room banging one out to laminated posters of Eric Estrada.

HMS Lolipop, it didn't fire ICBMs it fired giant feather dusters. 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

On the assumption that it isn't some sort of bizarre murder suicide.

'Son, they'll never be able to prove this.'

11 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I don't know Vlad, what I meant was the vessel itself had multiple ways of avoiding disaster including automated procedures, so why have none of them been able to be used, at the depth it was going I don't think any kind of surface rescue is possible.

You'd think,maybe hope,that something disasterous happened quickly to avoid any unnecessary suffering and especially with the kid. Hope they are still found but its doubtful now.

11 hours ago, Curly said:

Was just saying about that to Mrs Curly - took them weeks to find her, never-mind trying to find a car sized object 12000 metres under the sea with currents and all that.

Not sure why anyone is making a thing out of the fact the people on board have got money and the refugees who were treated unfairly in comparison - it’s a mad story and worthy of the news. The “fuck them, they’ve got more money than sense” craic is strange.

It is worthy news, but when you've got cunts like "King" Prince Charles asking for regular updates, when the UK economy seems on the brink of collapse, and when dozens of children have died trapped in a sinking migrant boat, then maybe the coverage of a couple of people in a submarine getting lost is a bit OTT (I was going to say a bit overboard but then decided i was better than that).

I think the Titanic angle gives it extra interest.

It's a graveyard anyway, the morbid weirdos. It's hard to believe anyone involved in the venture didn't think, "hang on". 

• Upvote 2

Not much chance of them being saved now if they're even still alive :

'We have to prepare ourselves for the worst', former Navy officer warns

The situation is "gloomy" and we have to "prepare ourselves for the worst," an ex-Navy officer has said.

Retired rear admiral Chris Parry told Sky News that the chances of survival for the Titan crew at this point are "vanishingly small". Mr Parry said the five men are at the "extreme limits for their oxygen" and even if the submersible were found now, it would take time to bring it to the surface to release them.

"I'm afraid it is very gloomy indeed," he said. On the rescue effort, Mr Parry said there is a "vast concentration of seabed and operations vessels" at the search site. Arriving now is a ship called Horizon Arctic, he added, bringing a "very capable" US remotely operated vehicle named Curve 21. It is "essentially a crane", Mr Parry says, with a cable that can go down to 20,000 feet. 

"I think the idea will be that if Titan is found, that the remote operating vehicle will go down, make sure it's all right... attach the cable and they'll bring it up." But in a less hopeful view of the chances of success, he said: "I'm afraid to say that even if we were to find Titan now, the time it would take to get down there, secure them, bring them up... it's vanishingly small in terms of the likelihood of survival."

Titanic sub search - live

28 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Stig has been unusually quiet on this thread given his background, which leads me to believe he spent his submarine career not paying attention to the ballast tanks and whatnot, but hiding in the wireless room banging one out to laminated posters of Eric Estrada.

HMS Lolipop, it didn't fire ICBMs it fired giant feather dusters. 

When he said he went down on numerous submarines, he wasn't talking about the vessels trajectory.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elite said:

When he said he went down on numerous submarines, he wasn't talking about the vessels trajectory.

"Where is the Rear Admiral?"

"He's greasing the torpedoes."

That's the last post I'll make on the subject, it's a stereotype - and it's offensive.  

• Haha 2

I absolutely love how anyone with the slightest tenuous sea fairing or naval experience is interviewed and their opinion passed off as fact.

Roy Dodgson was the captain of the whacker Quacker around the Albert dock for three years and thinks they're fucked..

"We had a similar situation once when he had the cast of Brookside aboard, we were ok until Sinbad got on and then the thing started sinking , Luckily Ron Dicko fired a flare with his shotgun and it avoided us all going further under than Trevor Jordache"

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1