You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 30 April at 16.30

I was in an Amsterdam Airport bar waiting to fly home and when Richarlison scored I gave a loud "oh fuck off," to nobody in particular. When jota scored I might have done a little dance around my barstool but then I remembered I can't dance

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Reckoner said:

He just had a poor game, even for modern football fans this is staggeringly stupid.

I think that’s a bit harsh mate. Big Virg was terrible today, but has been bouncing along as average or below for a while now, with the odd flash of what went before. 

Can’t work out what’s going on with him, but one on ones even - he’s diving in, not tracking or switching off. He got absolutely inside outed for that first goal today. It’s just not what we’re used to with him.

I would personally be dropping him and bringing Matip in for a bit - he suits this new system too, with being the more static centre back and having konate do the running more

• Upvote 1

Missed it today as out with my mum for her birthday. Increasingly mad texts from my mate charged with keeping me up to date. As bad as watching it. Fucking hell, footys about drama and excitement, entertainment, disappointment, redemption and trophies. We’ve had it all under Jurgen.  Fucking hilarious him doing his ligament after getting in the officials face, shows his madly human passion, the loon. Can’t wait for MOTD because it’s one of those games, a fucking rollercoaster. You mightn’t win the league with them, but it gets the blood flowing. Is fucking right. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

On their equaliser, did richarlison actually touch the ball or just celebrate like he did? I didn't have a good view of it from the kop but saw in at full speed only on ssn, and I'm convinced he didn't touch it. 

He just about got his head to it but there was little control and he got lucky with the bounce.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

On their equaliser, did richarlison actually touch the ball or just celebrate like he did? I didn't have a good view of it from the kop but saw in at full speed only on ssn, and I'm convinced he didn't touch it. 

I thought it went straight through, too. I've not seen it on telly yet.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, redinblack said:

I was in an Amsterdam Airport bar waiting to fly home and when Richarlison scored I gave a loud "oh fuck off," to nobody in particular. When jota scored I might have done a little dance around my barstool but then I remembered I can't dance

Watched it on my firestick while on my holliers in Italy. 

Got cocky at 3 nil and went to the shops for some gin and tonic, it was 3-2 when i got back. When that ugly prick equalised I gave an almighty "fuck this" in front of my 4 and 7 year old. 

Thankfully that only lasted a minute when I was able to celebrate the winner. 

I know I missed 20 minutes, but did we go to shit when we brought Henderson on? 

4 minutes ago, Curly said:

I think that’s a bit harsh mate. Big Virg was terrible today, but has been bouncing along as average or below for a while now, with the odd flash of what went before. 

Can’t work out what’s going on with him, but one on ones even - he’s diving in, not tracking or switching off. He got absolutely inside outed for that first goal today. It’s just not what we’re used to with him.

I would personally be dropping him and bringing Matip in for a bit - he suits this new system too, with being the more static centre back and having konate do the running more

Yea, that form is far more worisome.

The kicker is in this exact system the Van Dijk of three years ago would be perfect.

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Watched it on my firestick while on my holliers in Italy. 

Got cocky at 3 nil and went to the shops for some gin and tonic, it was 3-2 when i got back. When that ugly prick equalised I gave an almighty "fuck this" in front of my 4 and 7 year old. 

Thankfully that only lasted a minute when I was able to celebrate the winner. 

I know I missed 20 minutes, but did we go to shit when we brought Henderson on? 

We were shite a long time before bringing Hendo on!

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Grassroots football is such a jungle because society is. The idea that grassroots football would be sweetness and light if televised games had people smoking pipes patting each other on the backs is crazy. 

Nah. Grassroots footy could be better if money in footy went to the right places. On a Saturday we shouldn't have dad' and mum's picking up dog shit and broken glass off the pitch so the kids can play.  There's no reason grass-roots footy can't be fucking awesome in this country. I think Mourinho's fines alone would build some great infrastructure - never mind the money the agent's take out of the game.

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

I do think that enforcing respect towards officials on a consistent basis would have a knock on effect. But that's the thing - consistency. It only ever seems to be an issue when it comes to us. The recent hyperbole surrounding Robbo getting elbowed - but it somehow being his fault and an existential threat to all officials, being a case in point. Moyes confronting the ref after their recent game was largely ignored.

I hate that the FA and pundits think we should respect an official. Fuck off. I respect the rules. I respect someone who is good at their job. I don't respect a chimp just cos they put a ref's kit on him. 

On 27/04/2023 at 23:17, Trumo said:

We need to make sure we have the correct mindset, be fully switched on, concentrate and do all the right things. No “lads, it’s Spurs” complacency. As ever, it’s all about motivation, attitude and application. Get those right and do what we can do, and we stand a great chance of coming out of it with the 3 points. All we can do in the league at this stage is continue claiming the 3 points. Let’s get it done!

We made hard work of this one precisely because we allowed the tempo to drop and complacency to creep in. We are not the team of 2018-2022 as we lack the overall control of games to enable us to take our foot of the gas and step it up again if need be.

It was so similar to the second Newcastle 4-3 in 1997. We'd taken a 3-0 lead early on in that one too, and needed a last-minute winner shortly after surrendering the advantage.

I missed the first half as I was driving back from Lincoln, but what I saw in the second half was unimpressive to say the least. Spurs looked much the better side. We looked ropey in attack, ineffective in midfield and nervy as fuck at the back. 

Lots of talking points in this one that have been covered in this thread and will be included in Dave's match report. Jurgen calling Tierney out for being an agenda-driven cunt is one. The Pigeon doing an Adebayor is another. As infuriating as his goal and celebration were, him looking on in amazement as Spurs promptly Spurs'd it up is (almost) worth us making a mess of things beforehand.

The complacency needs to be stamped out pronto. I couldn't give a shit about what any of our opponents have riding on a match. All I care about is that we do everything right and wallop them all over the shop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Konate is bog standard mate. Even Souness agrees. He never looks assured and has mistakes in him left right and centre.

Konate is a dye in the mould proper centre back, who is currently playing in a back four with 3 players defending badly, and being asked to cover Trent being used in a new role which means he doesn’t have to actually be in his defensive position. He’s doing what he can.

Get Trent in the middle of the park in a free role and get a boss right back in and we will be laughing.

• Upvote 1

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

• serious foul play

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Oddly enough, it doesn't say anything about "getting the ball".

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, niallers said:

That's the biggest kink to work out in this system. The space in behind when konate presses needs to be covered much better and faster

Which is why we should not be a 3-4-3 in attack. Trent should start in midfield in a 4-3-3. Gomez or Milner (interim) at RB to solidify. When Konate presses we have that cover, and Trent would have more space to work his magic

7 minutes ago, Curly said:

Konate is a dye in the mould proper centre back, who is currently playing in a back four with 3 players defending badly, and being asked to cover Trent being used in a new role which means he doesn’t have to actually be in his defensive position. He’s doing what he can.

Get Trent in the middle of the park in a free role and get a boss right back in and we will be laughing.

We need to stop pretending this is some massively alien concept for our defence to be in.

We're just alternating between a back three and a back four at it's most basic.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It didn't hit Nunez so it had to hit him.

When I watched on ssn I actually thought if anyone touched it, it was Nunez. But as I say, not seen it properly. I'm sure they'll give a couple of angles on motd2, although they've got a lot of games.to cover tonight. 

8 minutes ago, Trumo said:

We made hard work of this one precisely because we allowed the tempo to drop and complacency to creep in. We are not the team of 2018-2022 as we lack the overall control of games to enable us to take our foot of the gas and step it up again if need be.

It was so similar to the second Newcastle 4-3 in 1997. We'd taken a 3-0 lead early on in that one too, and needed a last-minute winner shortly after surrendering the advantage.

I missed the first half as I was driving back from Lincoln, but what I saw in the second half was unimpressive to say the least. Spurs looked much the better side. We looked ropey in attack, ineffective in midfield and nervy as fuck at the back. 

Lots of talking points in this one that have been covered in this thread and will be included in Dave's match report. Jurgen calling Tierney out for being an agenda-driven cunt is one. The Pigeon doing an Adebayor is another. As infuriating as his goal and celebration were, him looking on in amazement as Spurs promptly Spurs'd it up is (almost) worth us making a mess of things beforehand.

The complacency needs to be stamped out pronto. I couldn't give a shit about what any of our opponents have riding on a match. All I care about is that we do everything right and wallop them all over the shop.

In terms of your comment about us lacking control, today the issue (and partially through the season) is the cheap possession we give away close to our own goal. It's not the last 3rd, it's often just as we're building play and the players have got onto attacking positions and then we're scrambling in a transition. 

Just now, TD_LFC said:

We need to stop pretending this is some massively alien concept for our defence to be in.

We're just alternating between a back three and a back four at its most basic.

Agreed. If anything Trent is nearer to the RB position than when he is actually playing RB. 

4 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Which is why we should not be a 3-4-3 in attack. Trent should start in midfield in a 4-3-3. Gomez or Milner (interim) at RB to solidify. When Konate presses we have that cover, and Trent would have more space to work his magic

When we used to play a 2-3-5 in attack you mean?

Yea, plus the ide that Trent would have the same effect in our base 433 is laughable. The reason it is working for him is that it becomes a double pivot and he has play in front of him and time on the ball. If he had to operate in the space Elliott does, with the defensive needs there he would get eaten alive, and have no similar impact that he has now, or even playing RB in a 433.

• Upvote 2