You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 4, Yay or Nay?

niallers

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I still can’t believe this stat. 

It certainly doesn’t feel like we’ve been the 2nd best side in the league. Even now we’ve won 6 on the bounce, we’re still nowhere near our old levels. 

We aren't, but even when we are ok, we are the 2nd best in the league and City, the cheating cunts, are a mile ahead of everyone else. Barring us for the past few years (and Arsenal this season) outperforming what we should realistically be achieving, the French league and Bundesliga, which get a lot of stick, are more competitive. 

On 08/05/2023 at 22:53, an tha said:

The home and away form split is even more dramatic and telling IMO.

We are top 3 in home table but 9th in away with just a terrible 5 wins in 17, a mere 19 pts and a negative GD

If we had been even half decent away, not even good we'd be pissing top 4.

43 pts at Anfield

19 pts away.

Fuck me 25 pts would be shite away from 17 games really but that would see us sitting 3rd now clear.

If our away form was as good as our home form we'd be balls deep in a title race right now. 

Im amazed Man U have lost 9 times this season, as many as us despite playing 1 game fewer. That Quadruple charge they were on really papered over the cracks.

According to the XG league (I know), both us and Bridgton would be top 4, with Man U being down in 9th. They really do have the best PR known to man

Utd will get top 4 by a point

Their home form is good and they have 3 home games and 1 away game left.  The home games are Chelsea, Fulham and Wolves. That's an easy 7 points if not the full 9.

The away game is Bournemouth. Also 3 points

• Upvote 1

On 10/05/2023 at 07:26, Aventus said:

If our away form was as good as our home form we'd be balls deep in a title race right now. 

We'd have 86 points after 36 games, 4 points ahead of City but they'd have 2 games in hand. They would probably pip us to the title by 2 points, rather than the usual 1. Cunts

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

We'd have 86 points after 36 games, 4 points ahead of City but they'd have 2 games in hand. They would probably pip us to the title by 2 points, rather than the usual 1. Cunts

Gives me some hope for next season.

1 hour ago, redheart said:

Utd will get top 4 by a point

Their home form is good and they have 3 home games and 1 away game left.  The home games are Chelsea, Fulham and Wolves. That's an easy 7 points if not the full 9.

The away game is Bournemouth. Also 3 points

Straw clutching again, but Mitrovic is back for the Fulham game and has a point to prove, whilst Chelsea have a point to prove and kicked into life on the weekend.

36 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Gives me some hope for next season.

And if we win our final 3 games, we will have got 42 points in the second half of this awful season. That form would probably not be enough to win it next year, but we are definitely nearer our best, and ahead of Arsenal as the 2nd best team in the league in that time, with Newcastle, Villa and Brighton further back.

Manchester United's form in the latter half of the season would result in 60 points over the course of a full season. 

10 minutes ago, Razoray said:

And if we win our final 3 games, we will have got 42 points in the second half of this awful season. That form would probably not be enough to win it next year, but we are definitely nearer our best, and ahead of Arsenal as the 2nd best team in the league in that time, with Newcastle, Villa and Brighton further back.

Manchester United's form in the latter half of the season would result in 60 points over the course of a full season. 

That's why I find it weird that people are expecting Man United to suddenly become all conquering and get 9+ points over the next 4 games.

On average, going on their form over the full season they would get 7/8 points in the next 4 games. 

Over the second half of the season they would get 6/7 points.

Over the last 5 games form table, they would get 5/6 points. 

They would have to show form they haven't shown all season, to get the 9 points they'd need IF we win our 3 games. They might, but it cant be a foregone conclusion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnsusername said:

What happens if Man City were to win the champions League? Is there an extra space up for grabs? 

What if Man City win the Champions League?

This will have no effect on the Premier League as Man City will finish in the top four. There is no "drop down" of places to give a fifth Champions League spot.

The position in the group stage for the Champions League titleholders is left vacant. This isn't filled by giving another team a place, the qualifying rounds are rebalanced with clubs effectively receiving byes.

Ordinarily, the champions of the country ranked 11th in the UEFA coefficient table at the end of the 2021-22 season -- Serbia -- would go direct to the Champions League group stage, rather than having to qualify. However, Russia are ranked 10th and its clubs remain excluded from European competition. That means the Serbian champions are already guaranteed a place in the group stage.

So, if Man City win the Champions League, it will be the champions of the 12th-ranked country who are given a place in the group stage. This just so happens to be Ukraine.

All European permutations here in good detail:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4921624/which-premier-league-clubs-will-qualify-for-the-champions-leagueeuropa-league-and-europa-conference-league

• Upvote 1

The Bournemouth game killed our top 4 chances and I think the absolutevlast straw to grasp was to beat Arsenal but we drew. If our winning form would of come just two games earlier. I still don't think we are playing well but we are grinding and compared to the way we gave up earlier in the season in games that's a huge improvement in itself.

I don't know what it is now, but before Newcastle and United played last weekend I checked and if we won all 3 of our last games we were about 77% to finish top 4.

Not sure about now but if we did manage to win all 3, it'd still be over 50% for sure. So all we can do is win those games and then let the chips fall where they may. 

That’s the run in. 

It’s extremely hard to see Man Utd not winning those 3 home games. And 3 wins will be enough for them. They might fuck up and draw 2 of them, but that looks very improbable. Even their away game is about as easy a game as they could get. 

For me, Newcastle are our only genuine chance.  If Leeds can get a win against them on Saturday then that takes it to the last day for us. This is also all dependent on us winning our next three which is far from certain. And one of those games we’d need a big 4 or 5 nil win to claw back the goal difference. 

It’s a big if, but there’s a bit more hope now. The bookies have us as pretty big outsiders, and rightly so. But there’s a small bit of hope. 

IMG_0529.jpeg

5 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

That’s the run in. 

It’s extremely hard to see Man Utd not winning those 3 home games. And 3 wins will be enough for them. They might fuck up and draw 2 of them, but that looks very improbable. Even their away game is about as easy a game as they could get. 

For me, Newcastle are our only genuine chance.  If Leeds can get a win against them on Saturday then that takes it to the last day for us. This is also all dependent on us winning our next three which is far from certain. And one of those games we’d need a big 4 or 5 nil win to claw back the goal difference. 

It’s a big if, but there’s a bit more hope now. The bookies have us as pretty big outsiders, and rightly so. But there’s a small bit of hope. 

IMG_0529.jpeg

With their GD they just need 6 points, can’t see it though Fat Sam on revenge and an upturn in Chelsea’s fortunes might make it close.

For me it’s all about United. They need 3 wins (if we get our 3 of course). I’m not holding out much in Wolves, but I believe Uniteds away record this year is only better thn Forests and we know what Bournemouth can do. Then Chelsea, if Fat Bald Fraud Frank FBFF can build on last weeks win, no reason to see why they won’t put some effort in at Old Trafford. Finally Fulham, after the FA cup game, there is beef here. Mitrovic is back for this one and the team will want to get some revenge.

So apologies for being a stuck record, but United are the vulnerable ones to me. Fingers crossed, hopefully this will go down to the last game and we will be ahead of the Mancs.