You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) - Mon 13th Feb 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

An endearing thing about Bacjetic is that, judging from his performances, you'd expect him to be some kind of ice-cold character in interviews, but actually he grins away like the kid he still is. Whatever happens this season, the decision to bring him in is going to reap dividends in the future.

• Upvote 5

There are few signs of how limited a manager is than the decision to make us switch ends at the start. Do they really sit in their office during the week and think, 'Aha! I know what'll mess them up - attacking the Kop in the first half!' Aside from the fact it leaves their own team to attack the Kop in the second half - oh that IS helpful! - it never actually seems to bother us, so just where they still get this idea that it's a brilliant bit of mind games is a mystery. And it's always the same old characters who do it - Dyche, Allardyce, Warnock, Pulis, all the really smart ones! 

It's basically a sad admission: 'We aren't as good as you, therefore we're having to resort to something like THIS in the hope it might bring us luck!'

Yesterday the only real difference was that Pickford spent the whole of the first half being constantly wound up by the fans behind him, which got him even twitchier and madder than usual, and Everton's forwards looked even less composed than usual in front of the Kop in the second half.

Well done, Sean - have a bowl of worms on us!

• Upvote 2

I've said it before on here I'm sure, but one of my Newcastle-supporting mates used to say that back in the days when they were shit and the only amusement you could get at games was winding up the opposition and observing who reacted positively and who didn't, they'd boo any ex-Sunderland player incessantly. Pickford obviously let it get to him: he'd start with his usual histrionics - fist pumping, jumping up and down etc. Then it would escalate into him wanting to be desperate to get involved in the game to show off and ram it into the home fans' faces - but as a keeper if you go looking for trouble you're generally instead causing a massive fucking problem for your team. It then used to escalate into him basically wanting to go and fight people. It was hilarious. He can't disconnect from his emotions and ego for more than five minutes - he's bizarre to watch as an ex-keeper because his character is about the last type you'd want in that position.

As an aside, the same mate used to say they'd forget to boo Henderson after about 20 minutes as he just wasn't remotely arsed and didn't react in the slightest. A much more professional and level-headed character.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

If I'm an opposing manager I'm telling my players to wind up Pickford.

He was like Charlie from Me, Myself and Irene, the ticks coming out as he tries desperately to keep to together then Robbo just breaks him by laughing straight into his face and then he's gone, plot lost.

You hate to see it.

Nunez was winding him up effortlessly before Robbo even started. It was like they were taking it in turns. He must drive his own defenders crazy - 'Can you just concentrate on your job?' 'But he's talking to me and that, and, and, he's callin' me names an that!' They did diagnose Gazza some years ago as having Tourettes, and I bet Pickford is the same - his head's jerking all over the place when he gets wound up.

Width of a post saved us from dropping points against a shite Everton side imo. Nice to get a decent break and run out comfortable winners but no hiding some serious weaknesses that aren’t going to be wished away because of last night.

Barcodes at the weekend will be tell us a lot more . The return of some key players is a big plus and more cause for optimism than a win against one of the worst Everton sides I’ve ever seen . 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

He was like Charlie from Me, Myself and Irene, the ticks coming out as he tries desperately to keep to together then Robbo just breaks him by laughing straight into his face and then he's gone, plot lost.

You hate to see it.

He really is a bit weird and i still don't get how people rate him always has a mistake or two in him

8 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

You hate to see it.

In fairness to T-rex, he got annoyed when Robbo kicked the ball away because that's time-wasting, and that's the one thing that Pickford really, really hates.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Manny said:

I've said it before on here I'm sure, but one of my Newcastle-supporting mates used to say that back in the days when they were shit and the only amusement you could get at games was winding up the opposition and observing who reacted positively and who didn't, they'd boo any ex-Sunderland player incessantly. Pickford obviously let it get to him: he'd start with his usual histrionics - fist pumping, jumping up and down etc. Then it would escalate into him wanting to be desperate to get involved in the game to show off and ram it into the home fans' faces - but as a keeper if you go looking for trouble you're generally instead causing a massive fucking problem for your team. It then used to escalate into him basically wanting to go and fight people. It was hilarious. He can't disconnect from his emotions and ego for more than five minutes - he's bizarre to watch as an ex-keeper because his character is about the last type you'd want in that position.

I had a moment last night of not quite believing what I was seeing, but I'm pretty sure he was doing the stretching up to make yourself look big thing (that normal keepers only do when they're facing a penalty) after we'd started singing "He's only got little arms".

46 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I seen a short of a podcast or something saying this sends a message to the top 4 and I thought...not really we beat Everton who are shit on your new shoes. Our message hasnt even been started yet, beat newcastle and we may just have the stationary and pen at the ready.

You have not applied Internet fan logic.

Arsenal are top of the league.

Everton beat Arsenal.

We beat Everton.

We are the best.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I had a moment last night of not quite believing what I was seeing, but I'm pretty sure he was doing the stretching up to make yourself look big thing (that normal keepers only do when they're facing a penalty) after we'd started singing "He's only got little arms".

He did, I saw that too. I think we had a corner though and that might be his normal routine when preparing for one.