You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Probably not a world beater but.... do we need a proper DM against most teams at Anfield? Possibly not. Hopefully it's to tide us over until January when we might get Andre.

Big thing with players that age is how they are doing physically. Is he on his last legs or does he have another 3-4 years?

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Seeing the potential fee, I think that might be it for midfield. If we are paying that for the profile of player he is, I assume there is some real belief he will be a contributor. This isn't a last minute loan deal, it's a financial commitment.

I would accept that if we sign a really good defender, and honestly that's maybe where we should pivot. The midfield does have a fair bit of quality and has a good age profile now. But central defense is in that real danger zone, with two declining players, one leaving next season and one who will have a year left, one injury prone player and one shit, injury prone player. 

I think now we have to go all in there. Move has been made in midfield, I'm afraid.

If it was a choice between a first XI centre half and a first XI midfielder, I'd go with the centre half. We're in serious trouble in that position this season, I reckon, particularly if we get an injury or two. 

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

And yet he's lost his place at Benfica and is being courted by Forest, something somewhere is amiss.

He was a regular for them last season.

25 starts and came on a sub 8 times.

So featured in 33 of their 34 league games.

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

If it was a choice between a first XI centre half and a first XI midfielder, I'd go with the centre half. We're in serious trouble in that position this season, I reckon, particularly if we get an injury or two. 

Not to worry. We'll sign some obscure Nordic CB from Serie B.

13 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Agree. But It's alarming how out of touch our club is. It might sound silly but optics matter, and if you want to bring this guy in, you wait until you bring in the big midfielder and defender first before you announce it no?

The worry now is that there aren't any big midfielders that make up for this. I haven't heard a name that would make me feel better about this signing.

I think he will probably be an ok buy from what I've seen but that's about it.

It depends doesn't it..people are trying to fuck us because we have to have a 6. Now we've got one it might change the shape of the discussion..

This Endo lad surely can't be 'it' for our midfield business.

I can see why we would add him, he offers us some needed depth, has reasonable experience, can cover different positions so offers some flexibility and would likely be an upgrade as a squad player on Keita, Ox and Milner.

But he surely has to be in addition to not as our 'main' signing in there over next 2 and a bit weeks....

Thought the Squawka numbers were pretty intriguing so here they are once more.

Wataru Endó vs Bundesliga midfielders since the start of the 2020/21 season:

◉ Most possession won in defensive ⅓ (254)

◉ Most aerial duels won (219)

◉ Most clearances (175)

◉ Most headed clearances (105)

◎ Second-most touches (6511)

◎ Second-most passes completed (3940)

◎ Second-most possession won middle final ⅓ (404)

◎ Second-most tackles (208)

Just now, YNWAViking said:

Thought the Squawka numbers were pretty intriguing so here they are once more.

Wataru Endó vs Bundesliga midfielders since the start of the 2020/21 season:

◉ Most possession won in defensive ⅓ (254)

◉ Most aerial duels won (219)

◉ Most clearances (175)

◉ Most headed clearances (105)

◎ Second-most touches (6511)

◎ Second-most passes completed (3940)

◎ Second-most possession won middle final ⅓ (404)

◎ Second-most tackles (208)

How about last season?